Nikon Battery Life while Using f2.8 70-200mm Lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nikon Battery Life while Using f2.8 70-200mm Lens

I have a D810 body and when I use my f2.8 70-200mm lens it kills my battery fast, like in 10-15 minutes if the camera just being turned in, not even taking pictures.

Last night I was in the stand with my daughter and had it on when I first got in the stand and got it set up and ready to record when a deer came in, I kept it turned off until it was go time. When it was time I turned it on and the battery was already showing red. It was a freshly charged battery.

Any ideas? Is this normal?

May be a bad battery but you might also look at the add-able battery grip that might help with battery life. I will be picking up a 750 here before long and that will be the first accessory I add is the battery grip

Im just guessing though

Comment

I wonder if it's the battery as well. I'm running a D7100 and D850 (they use the same battery) and have used both for multiple baseball and softball games without shutting them off during games while using the 70-200. I've got the battery grip on the D7100, but not on the D850 and I haven't had any issues.

Comment

Sounds like a bad battery. I have had to purchase a replacement for mine in the past.

Comment

I have a few 810's and three batteries. I have never had issues with the batteries holding charge. I've shot all day on one battery many times. I think you have a bad battery. Be sure to get a Nikon brand replacement.

Comment

I think it was the VR being turned on. Turned it off the next afternoon and had good battery life, used it about the same and it has pretty much a full charge still. I have two batteries so will try both and see if one is a problem.

Comment

I think it was the VR being turned on. Turned it off the next afternoon and had good battery life, used it about the same and it has pretty much a full charge still. I have two batteries so will try both and see if one is a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post

VR shouldn’t be on unless you are shooting. Sitting idle it shouldn’t be using battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Something is very wrong there. I don't know about the 810 but I can get close to 1000 shots out of my D750 and a single battery

Have you tried a different battery?

Try to isolate it, try different batteries, if still the same problem try a different lens, or pull the lens off the body and see if it still drains.

Comment

Something is very wrong there. I don't know about the 810 but I can get close to 1000 shots out of my D750 and a single battery

Have you tried a different battery?

Try to isolate it, try different batteries, if still the same problem try a different lens, or pull the lens off the body and see if it still drains.

Comment

Working...
                    X