Why I Switchsd to Thumb Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
    A thumb release can be a great tool but it’s not for everyone. Those who enjoy a wrist strap but suffer from the dreaded “go now” trigger punch, should check out the Like Mike release. It combines the wrist style with the ability to crank down the trigger to mimick the pull through shot of back tension releases.

I say this not to hijack Michael’s awesome post, but to add to it for those who may say they’d never use a hand held release and just settle on the fact that they’re a trigger puncher. The Like Mike release has been a game changer for me. Of course it has helped that “Mike” has personally spent hours working with me and his release.

I’ll add that the Like Mike is a hook style release and finding the loop is never an issue.
    The Like Mike is an awesome release and Mike is an outstanding coach.

I have been around 3D and target archery long enough to know if a release has a trigger including thumb buttons then a shooter can "punch it". I have even seen shooters with TP so bad that they punch or more accurately desribed "slam" a pure back tension hinge type release.

The Like Mike can be set so heavy that it is hard to punch or it can be set to go off very quickly if that fits your style of shooting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

But does it stay clipped to the string while you make camera adjustments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        But does it stay clipped to the string while you make camera adjustments?
        Well heck no it doesn’t.

Comment

Great video but I can't wrap my mind around the thumb release since I've been shooting a wrist release for so many years.

Mine folds back against my wrist so it doesn't flop around.

I left a comment on YouTube for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
            Great video but I can't wrap my mind around the thumb release since I've been shooting a wrist release for so many years.

Mine folds back against my wrist so it doesn't flop around.

I left a comment on YouTube for you.

Thanks for commenting, here and on the YT channel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

Great video! Since you landed on the Carter my advise would be get the Evolution as your "back-up" release. That is essentially why I switched to a handheld release. It will teach you how to really shoot with back tension. It is a learning curve for sure, but you will be so thankful that you did it.

I wouldn't advise keeping a handheld release in your pocket for spot and stalk situations. Or at least a waste pocket. That sounds all well and good until a herd of elk have you pinned down and you are squatting. It is not easy to get the release out of your pocket in this situation...I may have learned the hard way from this.

I made a simple lanyard I put on my release for when I am going to be in spot and stalk situations and use that now. It is just some D Loop material that goes around my wrist with one of those plastic adjustable crimps like you see on some shoe laces.

Comment

Originally posted by Miller View Post
                Great video! Since you landed on the Carter my advise would be get the Evolution as your "back-up" release. That is essentially why I switched to a handheld release. It will teach you how to really shoot with back tension. It is a learning curve for sure, but you will be so thankful that you did it.

I wouldn't advise keeping a handheld release in your pocket for spot and stalk situations. Or at least a waste pocket. That sounds all well and good until a herd of elk have you pinned down and you are squatting. It is not easy to get the release out of your pocket in this situation...I may have learned the hard way from this.

I made a simple lanyard I put on my release for when I am going to be in spot and stalk situations and use that now. It is just some D Loop material that goes around my wrist with one of those plastic adjustable crimps like you see on some shoe laces.
                Good info! I'll likely be using some sort of lanyard for spot and stalk type hunts. It sounds like yours is pretty simple and lightweight compared to paracord.
                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Other than because it did exactly what I needed it to do (clip and lock on the d-loop), it felt good in my hand and had a "crisp" release. It came highly recommended here, and both Bradley (4B Bowhunting Outdoors) and Chris (CCR) personally use this one.
                  Still show this video to folks who have questions about thumb releases!

Comment

Working...
                  X