Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
    Experts on here crack me up.

PLENTYYYYYYY OF DEER HAVE BEEN KILLED AT 200ish FPS.
    what can this be? it must be fake. the deer will be gone before that slow arrow gets to them. hahaha

whats a good icon for sarcasm

Comment

Everyone wants ADULT arrows now days. What about an ADULT bow to shoot them out of?? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Mass is where it’s at. I prefer mass. My son shoots lighter so he can have a little speed on his side since he’s young and not the stillest person in a tree. And he keeps his shots under 20.
      I’ve seen both ends of the spectrum example:

My son shoots a PSE Dna, 47#, 25”dl, 392gr arrow, Solid Broadhead. He’s bow is shooting 220fps, if I remember correctly, shoot 2 hogs, not bigs ones 60-75lbers. Got pass through a on them both. His bow is pretty quite with this setup.

I shoot a PSE Full Throttle, 64#, 29”dl, 545gr arrow, what ever broadhead I have laying around, shooting 267fps. I haven’t had anything stop an arrow yet.

I will building some Fmj Dangerous Game arrows shortly that should come out around 700gr.[emoji57][emoji57][emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
        the op is wanting to increase his set up. it's nice when people join in to help. it's not nice to come in and trash the op.

what works for you may not work for others.

as far as junk.

let's see. in physics we all learn, to make an object harder to stop we increase mass.

with just a touch of research, we can look at aeronautics and see why FOC can be a factor in flight.

with research, we can read Dr. Ashby's studies, by the way, this is the only study ever done for arrow lethality. it has never been proven wrong.

an arrow that doesn't have a complete passthrough is a failure in design.

"The only con to heavy arrows is the trajectory. the only pro to a light arrow is the trajectory"
        Eric
        ... so by physics standards: if I shoot a deer in the brisket head on and it doesn’t exit the balloon knot... it was the arrows fault?

I’ll take the blame for every animal I’ve lost. 100% were due to shot placement. No 25-100000 gr would have made a difference.

And IF we are talking; deer & hogs WITH modern compounds it’s all personal flavor. If you can’t kill em with that.... it ain’t the physics

Perfect flight with the least amount of bandaids possible and an adequate SHARP broadhead will win

Again. The truth is in the middle. But you do you and I won’t hate

Comment

Why not use an arrow that weighs 1,000 grains or more? Seems like there is no negatives to super heavy, extremely high foc arrows. ? Where is the point of diminishing return?

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
            Why not use an arrow that weighs 1,000 grains or more? Seems like there is no negatives to super heavy, extremely high foc arrows. ? Where is the point of diminishing return?
            Cause it would turn the 20 yard feeder shot into a Par 3

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
              Cause it would turn the 20 yard feeder shot into a Par 3
              If I cant kill a deer with a 480 grain arrow, I will quit bow hunting. Lindy has killed more P&Y deer with her 300 grain arrow than most that have replied on this thread. It’s not really as complicated as the internet seems to make it.

Comment

If you did some research you would indeed find the point of diminishing returns. No one is advocating crazy heavy 1,000 grain arrows. Just saying, especially to the original poster, that you will see better results with a 500-600 grain arrow vs a 300 grain arrow. No need in getting upset. I mean would it hurt to try something different to see what results you get? You're already set up so if you don't like the results of your experiment couldn't you easily go back?

Comment

Time for adult arrows....

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                  If you did some research you would indeed find the point of diminishing returns. No one is advocating crazy heavy 1,000 grain arrows. Just saying, especially to the original poster, that you will see better results with a 500-600 grain arrow vs a 300 grain arrow. No need in getting upset. I mean would it hurt to try something different to see what results you get? You're already set up so if you don't like the results of your experiment couldn't you easily go back?

Rocky isn’t trying anything new lol....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

From what I've seen of Troy's videos (I fully admit to not having seen all of them), he puts zero emphasis on bow tuning. If your bow isn't tuned, his arrow tuning stuff will lead to nothing be frustration for you. I agree with most of the rest of it. His laugh does give me the creeps though.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                      From what I've seen of Troy's videos (I fully admit to not having seen all of them), he puts zero emphasis on bow tuning. If your bow isn't tuned, his arrow tuning stuff will lead to nothing be frustration for you. I agree with most of the rest of it. His laugh does give me the creeps though.
                      He's got videos on bow tuning. So do a thousand other videos on youtube. Everyone knows to start with a tuned bow.

Comment

He's got videos on bow tuning. So do a thousand other videos on youtube. Everyone knows to start with a tuned bow.
                        although I'm 100% with you. you would be surprised how many people have no clue how to tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                          ... so by physics standards: if I shoot a deer in the brisket head on and it doesn’t exit the balloon knot... it was the arrows fault?

I’ll take the blame for every animal I’ve lost. 100% were due to shot placement. No 25-100000 gr would have made a difference.

And IF we are talking; deer & hogs WITH modern compounds it’s all personal flavor. If you can’t kill em with that.... it ain’t the physics

Perfect flight with the least amount of bandaids possible and an adequate SHARP broadhead will win

Again. The truth is in the middle. But you do you and I won’t hate
                          if you have the correct build it would come out the ***. I don't even shoot an arrow for that build.

most animals lost due to shot placement. that's a given. but you can build arrows for bad shot placement.

Comment

Well, he very clearly states that people spend too much time tuning their bows rather than their arrows.

Comment

If I cant kill a deer with a 480 grain arrow, I will quit bow hunting. Lindy has killed more P&Y deer with her 300-grain arrow than most that have replied on this thread. It’s not really as complicated as the internet seems to make it.
                              no one has ever said you cannot kill with a 480gr arrow. I've killed with <400gr arrows.

problem with the post. most people don't know or understand the physics of it. most will never learn.

a person that is killing deer with 400gr arrows and getting pass-throughs are not the people coming to me for help. or posting on sights for help. it's the people shooting a 400gr. that is having problems. I bet over half of the fixes I do we never increase arrow mass. We change the broadhead type.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                                Well, he very clearly states that people spend too much time tuning their bows rather than their arrows.
                                that's what I used to teach a few years back, still do sometimes. but in general. a person needs to tune there bow. In a few years, ranch fairy will have different videos out. hahaha

one of the biggest problems in tuning arrows is making sure the bow is set correctly. if it is then you can still tune the arrow, but if done correctly you can shoot a gambit of spines with good results.

Comment

Working...
                                X