Central Texas brush ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
    I've been having good luck with Pronone pellets on Mesquite, Sumac and Locust. And a few unwanted cedars.
    Agree with this, but no way would I do it anywhere around oaks. It’d be a much easier option.

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
      Agree with this, but no way would I do it anywhere around oaks. It’d be a much easier option.
      Yes, it kills anything that absorbs it. I have enough oaks, though that if a couple get caught in it, I'll just use them for firewood...

Comment

OP, you in Burnet Co. by chance?

Comment

Flameleaf sumac is a class 2/3 browse plant for deer. Just wanted to throw it out there. It’s also great habitat for quail and fawns.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
            OP, you in Burnet Co. by chance?
            Yes sir. Bertram area.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
              Flameleaf sumac is a class 2/3 browse plant for deer. Just wanted to throw it out there. It’s also great habitat for quail and fawns.
              Good to know, I don’t want to kill all of it but I had 20+ burn piles on my property so I don’t want everyone of them to be a sumac forest.

Comment

If you are seeing much utilization on flameleaf sumac you have a deer density problem. A big one. If it was me, I’d treat most of the areas and leave a few alone.

Comment

I’m not seeing any signs of anything eating it.

Comment

Originally posted by rowdybass View Post
                    I’m not seeing any signs of anything eating it.
                    I didn’t figure you would. It can be used, but only under dire situations, or just the occasional leaf.

Comment

i'll just add that with the size of some of those plants in the pics i'd go with basal stem or cut stump methods. you wont hurt anything else that way too.

Comment

So would I be better off shredding this stuff down then spraying the cut stumps

Comment

I’ve thought about going to the class to get my license. If I’ve heard right it’s not to bad of a class to sit through ?
                          Honestly i'm not sure to tell you the truth. My grandfather is the one in the family who holds the license.

Comment

So would I be better off shredding this stuff down then spraying the cut stumps
                            No, you need a clean cut to make sure you cover the cut area with chemical. Also, you need to spray the stumps within 15 minutes of cutting them. I prefer one person to cut the trees with a chainsaw, and another right behind them spraying the stumps. It’s easily a one person job, but easier with two.

Comment

Rather than start a new thread I thought I would ask here. We are overrun with yaupon and many encircle large post oaks. Can I basal spray the remedy/diesel on the yaupon to kill them, without harming the oaks?

Comment

Originally posted by jjake View Post
                                Rather than start a new thread I thought I would ask here. We are overrun with yaupon and many encircle large post oaks. Can I basal spray the remedy/diesel on the yaupon to kill them, without harming the oaks?
                                I'd also like to hear everyone's opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X