700 action help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

700 action help

Ok guys I’m trying to fit up a HS precision stock that was already bedded I bought used. I put barreled action down it and it was tight. So I started grinding out the old bedding to fit action and then re bed.

Got it fitting good but noticed action is twisted in stock. I ground recoil lug recess out some to realize it was not touching but still twisted.

I looked down barrel to notice the recoil lug is twisted and not square with the trigger and bottomn of action.

Any ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loosen the barrel, straighten it up, and tighten the barrel up again. You will need a barrel vise and action wrench, so if you don’t have that I would find a gunsmith to get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
      Loosen the barrel, straighten it up, and tighten the barrel up again. You will need a barrel vise and action wrench, so if you don’t have that I would find a gunsmith to get it done.
      This! Or a ball peen hammer. 😂. Smith can pin action and lug to keep them aligned as well.

Comment

If you were close, I'd say drop by and I'll have you fixed up in about 4 minutes. A recoil lug jig makes it pretty easy to keep things straight.

Comment

one of the most used and helpful tools I’ve ever bought
          Screws into bottom of action, and perfectly aligns the recoil lug
          when tightening barrel

Comment

Thanks guys I assume it came
            From Remington this way or was tampered with before me it’s used.

Fit in factory stock just fine. But that’s not saying much.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
              If you were close, I'd say drop by and I'll have you fixed up in about 4 minutes. A recoil lug jig makes it pretty easy to keep things straight.
              Thanks for the offer I wish I was closer as well!

Comment

If I put it in a vise and smack it with a hammer how do I know If barrel is tight.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                  If I put it in a vise and smack it with a hammer how do I know If barrel is tight.
                  Well,it looks like the way its got to go will keep it from coming loose. If it hasn't been broken loose from the factory, you're looking at about 150+ ftlbs of torque on that barrel. Not sure you can move it with a hammer without some level of damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                    Well,it looks like the way its got to go will keep it from coming loose. If it hasn't been broken loose from the factory, you're looking at about 150+ ftlbs of torque on that barrel. Not sure you can move it with a hammer without some level of damage.
                    True wasn’t even thinking about the direction. I’ll see what happens

Comment

Working...
                    X