Donor for an Ackley project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donor for an Ackley project

I have 30.06's to choose from. I want to rebarrel one of the to 280 AI. One is a m77 tang model ruger in wood. The other is a Rem 700 synthetic. The stock will be replaced no matter which one I use. My only negative on the rem is no bottom metal.
    All that aside which would you use for the build?
    I am wanting a 26" medium weight barrel.

R700 and pick up a hs takeoff with bottom metal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Go 700. Many more options available and most of the time cheaper for the rem 700

Comment

Use the 700 and buy some bottom metal to go with your new stock.

Comment

+1 on the 700. Have it blueprinted, replace the recoil lug and trigger, lap the lugs then put it in a good stock with new bottom metal. Bottom metal is easy to aquire. You can find take-offs from other folks builds or buy new factory stuff at Midway, or go the aftermarket route. Either way, you wont regret using the 700 as the platform for your new 280 AI. I built mine 6 years ago and love it.

Comment

The 700 will give you many more options. I’d personally use it and get some bottom metal somewhere else.

Comment

Rem 700 for sure! You will have every option made available to you with this footprint.

You can find bottom metal all over the place once you decide what you want (BDL, DBM, etc).

Comment

bottom metal isn't a problem & if going custom, the aftermarket stuff is nice...going to a blind mag will save some $$$$ & never bothered me if my 700 didn't have a floor plate, although nice to have.

Good luck, been shooting the round for decades.

Comment

700 and pick up new everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you want a accurate rifle, definitely the 700 action.

Comment

700 it is. Thanks everyone

Comment

700 and a single shot fallower.

Comment

700 action all day. Tang safety Ruger is more of a collector and not ideal for customer builds.

Comment

Originally posted by skipetex View Post
                            700 it is. Thanks everyone

Check out the 2020 TBH APR build thread. Robert is talking about doing a customer supplied action build for TBH members after they get the regular TBH 2020 special deal out of the way at a smoking hot price. I think it is on page 10 that he talks about the customer supplied action deal.

Comment

Working...
                            X