9mm bullet for personal protection ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, finally have reloading dies and brass for the 9mm.

What brand and bullet type/weight do y'all prefer for defense bullets, reloading-wise? I'm looking at the Speer Gold-Dot now but are there equivalent or better ones?

thx

that is a good choice,, also the hornady xtp and if you can find them the winchester silvertip,, an older one for sure but still one of the best

Comment

Ive never reloaded 9mm but ive always shot Corbon DPX before they sold to a new owner and now i shoot Gorilla ammo 115gr defense rounds

Comment

Gold Dots, but they’re pretty much non-existent right now.

Comment

speer gold dot and winchester ranger

Comment

I use PDX

Comment

Here is all you need to know...

Federal HST, Speer 115gr/124gr Gold Dots, Winchester Ranger

Comment

The HST are great bullets and that is the ammo I carry in my handguns. I have never seen them available as components though.

Comment

I use Gold Dot and HST. Both are about as good as you are going to get.

Comment

Gold Dot, HST and Ranger T if you can find them.

HST can’t be bought new that I am aware of but there are places that sell pulled bullets that have them.

In my experience the XTP bullets need to be driven at higher velocity to perform well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I reload lots, have a Dillon 1050 and 650.
                      You said for "self defence". For LOTS of reasons I would not use reloads for self defence.
                      I often load something that feels "similar" but why use expensive projectiles for practice?
                      Just a thought...
                      Stay Safe

Comment

Originally posted by Rango View Post
                        For LOTS of reasons I would not use reloads for self defence.
                        Don't leave us hanging. I always carry reloads for self defense. Nothing like having something crafted by my own hands and knowing it's going to work.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                          Don't leave us hanging. I always carry reloads for self defense. Nothing like having something crafted by my own hands and knowing it's going to work.
                          One so called "expert" penned an article in a shooting magazine years ago that claimed a lawyer might find a way to hold a person accountable for using handloaded ammunition in a defense situation. It is utter bull crap. If the shooting is justified, it's justified. If it's not, then it's not, no matter what you use. Having said that, I certainly wouldn't use just any of my redneck buddies reloads for self defense..lol..But my own, I'm comfortable with that. And about the bullets, just about any expanding bullet is fine. Of course, all makers will assure you theirs is best, lol. The goal is to put it in the right place..

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                            Maybe it could be construed as pre-meditated if you make your own to shoot people. Better to purchase from a company who manufactures defense rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                              Maybe it could be construed as pre-meditated if you make your own to shoot people. Better to purchase from a company who manufactures defense rounds.
                              Maybe Santa Claus is real. Got any court cases to back up that claim?

Comment

Working...
                              X