Downsizing, have you done it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
    What's really crazy is that guy living in a 340' FEMA trailer ^^^^^.
    I agree living in a travel trailer wouldn't be all that bad but not sure with all the past risks of the FEMA trailers I would live in one.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbuddyandroby View Post
      That's actually not a bad idea, but I don't want to deal with landlord obligations. I work shift work and don't need possible costs/repair time added to my free time.
      costs a bit more but you can have a management company handle most if not all of those items... and you just collect a check

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
        Don’t know what you owe, but have you considered making current home a rental (sounds like a sought after area to raise a family)? Nice to have mailbox money coming in later in life.
        If you have any significant appreciation and plan on using your primary residence capital gains exclusion then it makes almost no sense to convert your primary home to a rental. Many times the math just won't work out when you figure out the amount of cash flow you'd have to make just to break even on what you'll forgo in tax savings.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
          3800 sf? That's crazy. Why?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
            What's really crazy is that guy living in a 340' FEMA trailer ^^^^^.
            Did it for a year with a 2 year old. It was an old deer lease trailer we hauled back to town and made work. It forces you to be outside on the property, but overall it wasn't bad. It sure makes that 1200' single wide feel like the Taj Mahal though! lol

Side note: I've got some family that also lives in a really nice travel trailer. Same situation we were in. Bought it to buy time so they can build. I'd take the FEMA any day of the week over that travel trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              Why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              Real estate taxes

Comment

We are living in a 40 foot travel trailer while they finish our new home, we have two children and to say it is miserable is an understatement! An eight-month-old and a four Your old in a space that small means nobody sleeps! On a sidenote our new home will actually be significantly smaller than our old home. Our last house was 2800 ft.² and our new one just over 2000. Layout makes a big difference, and having an outside space as well. Our last home was in the city and our new home is on a small piece of land.

Comment

I lived in an 800sq ft house for a few years and if it weren't for having two dogs and two cats I would LOVE to live in a small place like that again.

I heard somewhere that the average size of new construction is coming down, which is a good thing. Say what we want about millenials but they are far less obsessed with status and showing off to people they don't even like that my generation and older generations.

A return to small sq footage, well built houses is going to be a really awesome correction of the mcmansion abomination of the pre-2008 era

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                    I lived in an 800sq ft house for a few years and if it weren't for having two dogs and two cats I would LOVE to live in a small place like that again.

I heard somewhere that the average size of new construction is coming down, which is a good thing. Say what we want about millenials but they are far less obsessed with status and showing off to people they don't even like that my generation and older generations.

A return to small sq footage, well built houses is going to be a really awesome correction of the mcmansion abomination of the pre-2008 era
                    A happy medium between tiny homes and DR Horton "custom" homes that are pretty shoddy quality would be welcomed.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                      A happy medium between tiny homes and DR Horton "custom" homes that are pretty shoddy quality would be welcomed.
                      Yup! I currently live in about 1200sq feet, no kids and even then it's a little big for my wife and I. The layout is the main problem.

Comment

Downsizing is in my near future. I have a freshman in HS and a soph in college. When my younger one gets out of the house we are going to downsize. We are still up in the air as to what that will look like. Going to go for high efficiency and low maintenance all the way around. Less wasted space like den and formal dining room that we don't use and bigger and nicer master suite and kitchen. And less yard to have to take care of. Half the house and twice the workshop. And very close to the water.

Comment

1100 sf and can't fill that space up. Less to clean and cool/heat also. The living space was not as important to me as being able to fit my boat in the garage so I wound up with an attached garage, a detached garage, and a shop. No complaints. I try to purge every year and generally get rid of stuff I haven't used in awhile.

Comment

We have an 8 month old. I have looked into it and have thought about it. Have an acre locally that is paid for and would be great to get rid of a mortgage.

Comment

Do it! But I would try to build a Barndominium before trailer house. Resale value for when you pass on to your kids or if something happens and you need to sale.

Comment

My wife and I are in the "downsize demographic" - our kids are grown and gone so we don't need 3,400 square feet. Our entire upstairs goes unused unless we have overnight visitors. The problem is we are at an impasse on what to do next. I would like to move further out to a smaller house on more property. She would like to move back into Ft Worth proper. However in the neighborhoods she likes, we would downsize square footage by half and pay more for the house. We currently live on one wooded acre and I spend much of my time outside - the thought of living in one of these new zero lot line homes in town makes my arse itch. I've convinced her to stay put for now (when we have grandkids, we'll need the room!) We'll see how long I'm able to sell that one...

Comment

Working...
                                X