No announcement yet.

Did I just ruin this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol you are not going to be able to drill a hole in any decent tap.
    You can remove the broken piece with a tool called a broken tap extractor.
    If you don’t have one of those I would try to drive the case out if you can remove the recapping rod.

There are other ways to remove the case but I am not going to go into detail here about it.
    Last edited by sendit; 12-03-2019, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
      I have a single set of Hornadys, the rest are all RCBS. If I didn’t use the Hornady dues but once in a blue moon I would have trashed em and got RCBS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I did this exact thing with an rcbs die because I was in a hurry and being dumb. Then I buggered the case up trying to pull it out with pliers and **** near just had it flush with the top of the die.

Sent them the die and a $5 bill they removed and cleaned/polished the die.

Guy I spoke with said they'd replace the broken tap too but they didn't. Still no complaints!

Comment

I think a tap extractor and some oil would get it out.

Comment

Last ditch effort......use a dremel to cut the web (head) off the case. You’ll be left with only the case wall stuck around the outer edge of the die. Use something thin/skinny and a softer metal than the die. Slide it down between the die and the case wall. Work it a bit and you’ll be able to collapse the case wall in on itself. Once you have a 1/4 of the wall collapsed in, just pull the whole thing out with some needle nose.

Yes......I’ve done this and had zero damage to the die.

Comment

Originally posted by Fajkus7 View Post
            Ive stuck several cases with this particular Hornady die. I should probably just scrap it and buy something else, but the cheap skate in me just wants to fix it.
            You might try Trevor's way, but I have found that if you have stuck cases in a die a couple times it needs replaced. I think the inside of the die gets scored a little and after time it gets worse.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
              Based on the lock ring it appears to be a Hornady die would scrap the die and just get a new one. For the record I have reloaded for roughly 15 years and the only cases I ever stuck were in the new Hornady dies. I don't know if there is a correlation there or not.
              Ive stuck several cases with this particular Hornady die. I should probably just scrap it and buy something else, but the cheap skate in me just wants to fix it.
              When I started reloading I bought 2 sets of Hornady dies. 243 and 270. All my other dies are either RCBS or Forster. Those 2 sets of Hornady dies were nothing but headaches with quite a few stuck cases. A friend of mine has had the same problem. I trashed them and replaced with RCBS and had no more issues.

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
                When I started reloading I bought 2 sets of Hornady dies. 243 and 270. All my other dies are either RCBS or Forster. Those 2 sets of Hornady dies were nothing but headaches with quite a few stuck cases. A friend of mine has had the same problem. I trashed them and replaced with RCBS and had no more issues.
                Seems like a lots of folks are having problems with them. I reckon I’ll just pick up another one in a few days. Probably go with RCBS this time. I’d buy nicer ones if I used them more than I do.

Comment

Although that die could probably be salvaged, I'd get a RCBS or Redding die to replace it. Actually, I have pretty good luck with Lee dies. Hornady dies have been headaches in every caliber I have tried them in.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler's Outdoor View Post
                    Take a center punch and mark you a spot in the middle of the broken off tap. Then, drill it out with progressively larger drill bits, starting fairly small so that you can start as close to center as possible. Take your time and use plenty of oil/cutting fluid with a slow drill speed.

You’re not drilling a tap out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by smokeless View Post
                      A machine shop could get it out. Once you figure how much they will charge, you might as well buy a new die.

If they will even mess with it, it’ll cost you $60-80

Comment

Small punch and a ball peen break up tap and take out in pieces

Comment

Cheapskate is fine, but then there is futility.

Comment

I tried to remove a broken tap once that was stuck and broken below the face of the hole. I spent four hours, burned up 3 drill bits and two dremel burrs, and still didn't get the mofo out. I'd not go that route again.

Comment

What caliber is it? I have 2-3 sets of many many calibers. I’ll save you the agony and send you one free of charge.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
                                I tried to remove a broken tap once that was stuck and broken below the face of the hole. I spent four hours, burned up 3 drill bits and two dremel burrs, and still didn't get the mofo out. I'd not go that route again.
                                A tap is made of tool steel, very hard but a bit brittle. Having the right knowledge and the right tools go a long way to success. So does using enough case lube lol

Originally posted by Trevor73402
                                What caliber is it? I have 2-3 sets of many many calibers. I’ll save you the agony and send you one free of charge.
                                It's a 308 Win case that's stuck.

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by smokeless
                                A machine shop could get it out. Once you figure how much they will charge, you might as well buy a new die.

Originally Posted by Graysonhogs
                                If they will even mess with it, it’ll cost you $60-80
                                They woud most likely use a tap extractor that's been mentioned a couple times. Carry on....

Comment

Working...
                                X