Exotics and Whitetail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exotics and Whitetail

Wondering what exotics live best with whitetail deer. Wanting to add a little extra something to our ranch

I can't speak for others, but our sika don't play well with the whitetails...

Comment

I really enjoy having and seeing exotics on the ranch, even though they directly compete with the whitetails. It's important to know that ALL exotics will dominate WT deer and have "some" impact on them. We actually fenced all of our protein feeders to at least control a few of the exotic species. WTs prefer browse and forage over grass......and will die on grass alone. Many exotics like Axis, compete for all 3 (browse, forage, grass), but can do just fine on grass alone. The most ideal exotic species are the grazers. This includes most antelope species. Larger antelope like Oryx provide a good balance and can be compared to cattle (lots of articles on the benefits of cohabitating "grass eaters" with deer). However, they will also rape your protein feeders if you leave them exposed.

Comment

in for this one. we have been wanting to add some axis to our place in lampasas. Anybody know any prices on axis does these days?

Comment

Was thinking about black buck or axis. And not a lot just wanting some variety and since u can hunt them year round I figured we could control the population pretty easily.

Comment

Originally posted by mjwiatrek View Post
            Was thinking about black buck or axis. And not a lot just wanting some variety and since u can hunt them year round I figured we could control the population pretty easily.
            Ranch I hunted on a few times recently has Red Deer, Axis and Blackbuck. I personally liked the mix. The Axis and Whitetail seemed to get along pretty well. Having Axis and Red Deer available for harvest year round makes for a full freezer of excellent meat!

Comment

Axis and fallow are nice but will directly compete/dominate the whitetails. Blackbuck usually don't bother them much

Comment

Working...
              X