Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-20-2019, 01:56 AM   #1
gb22250
Six Point

Hunt In: Lampasas
Default Jackson Hole, WY

Figured someone on the green screen might be able to help. Weíre looking to go to Jackson Hole for our honeymoon in February. Iím looking for someone with knowledge of different places to stay in the area.

Weíve found several resort type hotels with different room styles and amenities. The place we were originally going to book, Teton Mountain Lodge, has more than doubled their nightly rate in the last two weeks, pricing us out of that option. Weíre hoping for a room with a fireplace and jetted tub but they arenít required. Weíre looking at hotels with bar/restaurant or something onsite incase weather prevents us from going out much and weíre not stuck in a tiny box of a room.

Neither of us have been up north and weíd like to ski so being close to that is preferred. Snowmobile tour would be cool also. Other than that we donít really know what to do in the area. I saw something about the National Elk Refuge being in the area and if thatís something that can be seen/toured we would do that.

We talked with a travel agent but her lack of timely responding has really put me off of using one.

Budget of $2500-$3000. Flights are very reasonable right now and some of the places Iíve looked at are priced right as well. The only wild card is how much skiing will cost for one or two days.

Long winded post to ask those who have been where to stay (or stay away from) and what to do?
gb22250 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2019, 06:57 AM   #2
JB_Archery
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas, New Mexico & Arizona

Check out the Rustic Inn in Jackson Hole... it’s close to Jackson Hole instead of being on the Teton Mountain side. We’re not expert skiers so we went more for sight seeing everything. At the Rustic Inn we got the cottage style room which I thought was nice and your within walking distance of Jackson Hole so you can walk to all the restaurants and shops. Also at that time Rustic Inn would drive you into town for further places for a small tip. I definitely recommend the dog sledding to the heated natural well one day. Super great place, wife and I would go back in a heartbeat.
JB_Archery is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2019, 07:39 AM   #3
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Spring Creek Ranch I believe is where my wife and I stayed and it was nice with some awesome views. My concern there would be getting to it daily though as its up a pretty steep hill. Might be a bit treacherous if frozen. But I do recommend this place if you think it fits your needs.

However, my other recommendation would be to stay in a house along the snake river. We found a bunch of neat places that were fare priced and next time this is what we will do. Its a beautiful river with incredible views to be had while driving along it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2019, 08:18 AM   #4
Kelmat
Four Point

Hunt In: Shelby county

Look into Snow King Resort. It's at the foot of the ski area in Jackson. We've only been in the summer, but we have stayed in the hotel and also rented a condo. My favorite place to visit. Teton Village is nice and you can ski without leaving the complex but I'm sure it is pricey.
Kelmat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2019, 08:26 AM   #5
Gclyde28
Eight Point

We are going up from Jan 11-15th. Never been before but Ill try to remember to check back in on this post once we get back and let you know what all spots we hit up. We are staying at Hotel Terra in Teton Village and plan on coming back into town a couple times for meals/entertainment. By far the cheapest option I found was calling the booking department at JacksonHole.com and asking them to adjust one of their packages to meet our needs. They included hotel, lift tickets, and ski rental for us so all we needed to book on our own was our flights.
Gclyde28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2019, 08:27 AM   #6
bk_tradguy88
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas and SE Oklahoma

We stayed at the Anvil Motel when we went there last year. I loved it in Jackson, I would move there in a heartbeat. Finding cheap stays is practically nonexistent there, but we weren’t planning on spending much time in our room and we didn’t.

Our fly fishing guide said during the winter he did snowmobile tours through Yellowstone, and that would be a sight to see.

Go to Piccas and get one of the best margaritas you’ve had.

I’m ready to go back next summer already. If the elk are in the refuge during that time you will want to go, I’ve heard that’s pretty incredible.
bk_tradguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2019, 08:56 AM   #7
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_tradguy88 View Post
We stayed at the Anvil Motel when we went there last year. I loved it in Jackson, I would move there in a heartbeat. Finding cheap stays is practically nonexistent there, but we werenít planning on spending much time in our room and we didnít.

Our fly fishing guide said during the winter he did snowmobile tours through Yellowstone, and that would be a sight to see.

Go to Piccas and get one of the best margaritas youíve had.

Iím ready to go back next summer already. If the elk are in the refuge during that time you will want to go, Iíve heard thatís pretty incredible.

Snowmobiling through Yellowstone would be awesome!

One thing I would like to add, is go try restaurants in surrounding cities and check the area out. Lots of beautiful sight seeing while driving to lunch/dinner. Dont just stay in Jackson the whole trip.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:00 AM   #8
FruitCityHunter
Four Point

Hunt In: Sutton County

Me and my wife stayed at the Rustic Inn for our 15 year anniversary and loved we had a cabin by the creek. It was close enough to walk to town and there were mule deer out front of our cabin every morning. Lots of wildlife just north of town to see by driving.
FruitCityHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2019, 09:03 AM   #9
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

It’s not the Jackson Hole it was when I was a kid.
It’s quickly becoming a liberal haven. I was there in September and couldn’t wait to get out of there.

Sorry I’m no help
Randy Madden is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2019, 09:04 AM   #10
canny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston & Zavalla

As stated already the Rustic Inn is a nice place to stay. My wife and I stayed there for our honeymoon and it was awesome waking up to mule deer right outside our cabin. Jackson isnít that big so anywhere you stay is a fairly short drive to the slopes and anywhere in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
canny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2019, 09:05 AM   #11
gb22250
Six Point

Great tips so far, sounds like snowmobiling through Yellowstone is a must do. Also, margaritas are one of our favorite drinks so we’ll be sure to check that out.

I looked at Snow King and really like it. She’s leaning toward the White Buffalo Club. Any advice on that place?

We did see one place that was cabins, Fireside? They had jeep rentals but I’m guessing it’s only for guests of theirs. Any places to rent a Jeep to get out and explore the area?
Old 12-20-2019, 09:12 AM   #12
WyoBull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming

I can also highly recommend the Rustic Inn with one of the back cabins nestled against the creek.
I would recommend the Rusty Parrot over it as that is where we spent our honeymoon but they had a major fire a couple of months ago and they are out of service for the forseeable future.
WyoBull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2019, 09:18 AM   #13
CLW
Eight Point

Hunt In: South TX

Family and I had a suite at White Buffalo club this time last year. Staff was professional and timely. Location is ideal, within walking distance or White Buffalo can provide transportation.
CLW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2019, 11:07 AM   #14
wytex
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

Parts of the NF are closed to humans over winter so jeeps might not be the best. Snowmachines would be the way to go.
The ski area lodging will be more expensive in February, look around town for a better deal.
The Yellowstone trips must be guided so you might want to look into that now.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2019, 11:54 AM   #15
Randy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 20' up a tree in Leon County

My favorite place in the world. If you can ease out towards the Teton's in the evenings.. Makes it as far as Oxbow bend and back around to Jenny lake. You will see all kinds of wildlife. You can make a big circle and back to town that isn't entirely far if the weather allows.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2019, 12:03 PM   #16
3DW5
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon Co, Jim Hogg and Starr Co.

Teton Springs Lodge and Spa, it’s just over the pass in Victor ID. We go every year and would be what you are looking for I believe, also amazing fly fishing....
3DW5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2019, 12:37 PM   #17
Blank
Six Point

Hunt In: Entire Mountain West, South Texas

Winter in Jackson Hole is made for many exciting things you normally wouldn't get to do, if you come in summer. Both downhill or cross country skiing, snowmobiling, scenic and wildlife tours, lots of restaurants, and great bars. All the motels and lodges will be good, and can vary from low cost chains up to deluxe lodges. Snow King Resort is good, and the ski hill is right there in town. Very small, and steep as hell, but convenient. Jackson Hole ski area is across the valley and is gorgeous. Ride the tram up for an incredible view of the entire valley and surrounding mountains. Huge ski area with many runs and as difficult as you want to make it. If you have the time and a rental car, go over the Teton Pass to Victor and Driggs, ski Grand Targhee Resort for incredible powder. A must stop is O'Rourkes Restaurant and Grill on Ski Hill Road right in Driggs. Best steaks, sandwiches and specials around, great craft beers and fine wines. A bunch of the summer rafting companies in Jackson offer winter half or full day wildlife tours (deer/elk/sheep/coyotes/wolves), go on the sleigh ride thru the National Elk Refuge, see the National Wildlife Art Museum (expensive, but beautiful). If you like snowmobiling, go north of Moran Jct. and stop at the Togwatee Mountain Lodge. They offer 1-3 day packages with some of the greatest snow in the West. Good lodging, grill and restaurant, and guided tours. Soak in back country hot springs too. For your flights, check both Jackson and Idaho Falls for prices, rental cars are about the same and IF is only 2 hours drive over to Jackson.
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2019, 01:44 PM   #18
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Huntless

We stayed at the Four Seasons at the base of the Tetons. Great place to stay. I loved the area and will go back someday
aggie2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2019, 02:35 PM   #19
bk_tradguy88
Ten Point

And don’t forget to go eat pizza in moose! Great pizza with a killer view!
Old 12-20-2019, 04:00 PM   #20
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_tradguy88 View Post
And donít forget to go eat pizza in moose! Great pizza with a killer view!

Good point. Take an appetite for pizza, because its a thing up there! Cuttyís Grill had some of our favorite if I remember right.

Also, The Bunnery Bakery and Restaurant has some excellent breakfast that we found on our last day there. Wish we had found it much sooner.

Old 12-20-2019, 04:38 PM   #21
Jon B
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

Pinky G's pizza was amazing for a day lunch. Don't know if it's still there.
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2019, 06:25 PM   #22
bk_tradguy88
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
Pinky G's pizza was amazing for a day lunch. Don't know if it's still there.
Pinky Gís was still there last summer, and was great pizza too. It just needs to be in moose with the better views!
Old 12-20-2019, 07:05 PM   #23
MBV77
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Madden View Post
Itís not the Jackson Hole it was when I was a kid.
Itís quickly becoming a liberal haven. I was there in September and couldnít wait to get out of there.

Sorry Iím no help

Iíve never had anyone discuss their political views with me when Iím there. There are a lot of rich liberals in the area. Itís touristy and busy, but I always enjoy my stays.

OP, youíll have a good time.

MBV77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2019, 08:12 PM   #24
HOOKNBULLET2
Four Point

Hunt In: Blanco

Get the breakfast burrito at D.O.G.
HOOKNBULLET2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2019, 10:05 AM   #25
STICKIT
Six Point

Hunt In: Hill Country and S. Texas when I can

Keep the ideas coming. We are leaving SA in the morning. We are staying at The Lodge at Jackson Hole. Had to book 10 months ago and couldn't find many options for 5 of us. Had a hard time finding a snowmobile trip even 6 months ago. I am guessing it is busy this time of year.

Jason

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
STICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2019, 10:28 AM   #26
d_e_smith
Pope & Young

Hunt In: ETX

Rustic Inn (you want creek side), and we’ve stayed at Love Ridge Condos (you want facing SE corner of elk refuge and take a spotting scope). Lots of good places to eat in town, my favorite is Gun Barrel. Snow mobile trip through Yellowstone when we went saw folks get frostbite (-20). We did snowmobile through Moran and National Forest outside of Yellowstone. Saw a ton of animals and then did a tracked vehicle trip into Yellowstone. To be honest, I had more fun going over Teton Pass into Idaho and down around Palisades Reservoir when it came to site seeing without a crowd.
d_e_smith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2019, 11:10 AM   #27
Bill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montana

Iím north of there in Bozeman. The Yellowstone elk herd are in the Madison Valley to the west.

I canít help at all with Jackson Hole info. Watch the weather reports if you go exploring- this are is beautiful but snow/ice/wind/temps are very unforgiving.

Sone of the local elk were in my backyard yesterday. Thereís been 400-500 across the street since August. No hunting on that private land- of course.

Bill is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2019, 11:06 PM   #28
STICKIT
Six Point

Ok. Mid trip update. The scenery is as beautiful as I remember, probably more. The town is so liberal that I can assure you that my hard earned dollars will not come back here, I know everybody has there own limit. We are enjoying all the wildlife. We did the sleigh ride today and will snowmobile the Gros Ventre on Friday. We are planning on skiing (going to lessons) all day tomorrow.

Liberty burger was great today for lunch. They have a great staff and great food.

PinkyGs was mediocre for dinner and everybody in my family prefer domino's. Now my daughters stomach is saying it doesn't like their pizza either. The waitstaff couldn't wait to run all the customers out to go home and didn't hide this fact to the customers, after we ordered and paid.

Christmas dinner tomorrow is booked at the "Local Restaurant and bar." And the next day at the "Gun and Barrel". I expect them to be excellent all the way around as we had a hard time getting a reservation for Christmas day and couldn't get one on Christmas eve.

More to come after we are back in God's country. Merry Christmas all.

Jason

Old 12-24-2019, 11:35 PM   #29
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

Was frigid when I was up there last year this time of year, lows were around -20 with wind chills around -40. Liberty burger was pretty good the Mexican place next door sucked. My wife bought me a bunch of furniture for my man cave at Wild West designs in Jackson, you need to check that place out, had lots of neat things to see.
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2019, 06:54 PM   #30
gb22250
Six Point

Thanks for all the information, it’s a great help. I think we’ve got it narrowed down to a couple places to stay. The food recommendations are continually welcomed, I like to eat good food! I’ll be referencing this thread while we’re there.

Also, never being in weather that cold what clothing is best? I’ll have layers but will a regular Carhartt jacket work? I despise the cold by the way..
Old 12-25-2019, 08:39 PM   #31
STICKIT
Six Point

Well, we sweated our tails off today and had a blast. We had family ski lessons at the Jackson Hole Mountain Resort. All we had on were long johns and a long sleeve tee with a coat. Just normal thermal underwear, not the good stuff. Temps were between 15 and 28 today. Most people wear ski coats. They are kinda thin. My down jacket has not been zipped up yet.

Jason

Old 12-25-2019, 09:09 PM   #32
Heath
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cool places with Cool people

We are looking to go in June.
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2019, 10:23 PM   #33
Learjet
Four Point

Hunt In: Mexico, outside of villa union, Mertzon, tx

The wort hotel downtown is pretty cool. It has a lot of history, cool pics from actors that have stayed their over the decades.

If you stay at the snow king they have a free shuttle in town, also get ski 1/2 day first day of arrival. Smaller mtn in town can rent skis there, night skiing there too.

Bunnery has great breakfast.

Snake river brewery is great
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2019, 10:46 PM   #34
thegrouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilson and San Saba County

I brought some Bunnery pancake mix home with me. Decent stuff. I tried Local Steakhouse and a few other restaurants but nothing really stood out. The sightseeing in Jackson is second to none.
thegrouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 09:29 PM   #35
STICKIT
Six Point

Leaving for home in the morning. Gun Barrel was excellent for dinner, so was the local. We had a blast on the tubes at Snow King and would do the snowmobile trip with Old Faithful Snowmobile Tours to Gros Ventre in a heartbeat. We saw plenty of Elk, Bighorn, Eagles and had lunch at the Robinson Ranch. It is a historic old place the can only be appreciated with a visit. Talking about a step back in time and is still a working ranch.

JasonName:  Resized_20191227_123241_022.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  78.6 KBName:  20191224_121204.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  68.7 KBName:  20191227_105426.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  91.6 KB

Old 12-28-2019, 02:53 PM   #36
j.trevor123
Eight Point

Hunt In: Beeville, tx

I second rustic inn. We actually went last year in february. Im sure there are many nice places to stay but its close to town and have a car that will pick you up anywhere in town and drop you off, within reason. I think we paid about 220 a night
j.trevor123 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2019, 06:05 PM   #37
Truckman
Six Point

Hunt In: Menard, Sonora, New Mexico , Kansas

Bentwood inn. My wife and I celebrated our 25th anniversary there.
First off, I’m not a B&B fan. But these folks knocked it out of the park. Look at reviews , not a single bad one. Very reasonable rates.
Truckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 12:28 AM   #38
gb22250
Six Point

Weíve decided to stay at the White Buffalo Club. Been on our radar for awhile. Doesnít fit exactly what we were looking for but we both agree on the amenities, location, etc.
Snow King was a close second.

Weíre going to DIY everything else. Iíll update how it went and what we thought about the place when we get back. Think Iíll be too busy to check in much

Hope the weather holds up at the end of February!
Old 01-14-2020, 10:10 AM   #39
wytex
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

You'll be getting into our snowiest months then, be prepared.

Jackson is a liberal town , just not the real locals so much. I wore my camo coat around town for my bison hunt and the locals had only good comments and wished me luck on the hunt. The up-ities turned up their nose, didn't bother me at all.
Take a walk through the Jackson Office of G&F, neat mounts in there to see.
Don't forget to visit the distilleries and breweries in town, but be careful. At that altitude it will catch up to you pretty fast.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2020, 10:54 AM   #40
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb22250 View Post
Weíve decided to stay at the White Buffalo Club. Been on our radar for awhile. Doesnít fit exactly what we were looking for but we both agree on the amenities, location, etc.
Snow King was a close second.

Weíre going to DIY everything else. Iíll update how it went and what we thought about the place when we get back. Think Iíll be too busy to check in much

Hope the weather holds up at the end of February!
We have spent many summers in a town house directly across the White Buffalo. Great location and a good choice. Feb. could be a little tough as winters up there are brutal but you will be able to walk everywhere in town from there. Hope you have a blast...one of my favorite places.
elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top