Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 03-02-2021, 10:18 PM   #1
Silentnight
Four Point

Hunt In: Jourdanton/S. Texas
Default Kids rifle build opinion

Iíve been wanting to build a rifle for my kids using a manners cs stock for the adjustable LOP.

I would like some opinions on cartage. Something that would be a little more efficient in a 16-18Ē barrel shooting around 100grain bullet.

A 12Ē suppressed Grendel is what my oldest shoots now and it kills just fine but I would like to get a bolt gun built. I figure I will get my moneyís worth with 4 boys under the age of 8.

I was considering doing a SBR bolt gun with a switch lug for when they get older and want to shoot something different, but I donít know if it would be worth the hassle.
Silentnight is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 10:27 PM   #2
tmurray
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb County

25-06 or the boring old .243
tmurray is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 10:40 PM   #3
Silentnight
Four Point

I’m planning on using a short action so 25-06 would be out. I’m not sure if there is a good option for 25 cal in a short action. Maybe 25 wssm but not sure how they recoil and I would HAVE to reload for it.
I was thinking maybe the 6mm creed but I don’t know if it would have too much recoil either. The rifle will be suppressed when the kids are shooting.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:50 PM   #4
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 10:54 PM   #5
Walker
Ten Point

4 boys under 8, I'd get them a howa mini in grendel right now and start working on a 260 build.
Walker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 03:49 AM   #6
trophy8
Pope & Young

While I’m not a 308 fan....it’s hard to beat the efficiency of it in a short barrel. Roll 110-125 grain bullets and let em eat.

6 creed. 7-08. Both would be good. Or a 22 creed or fast twist 22-250.

Grendel is best suited for a gas gun. Way better options for bolt actions.
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 04:49 AM   #7
Jon B
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
While I’m not a 308 fan....it’s hard to beat the efficiency of it in a short barrel. Roll 110-125 grain bullets and let em eat.
In my opinion, the .308, 7-08 or .260 is very hard to beat for this application. I am a big .308 fan and can't think of a better whitetail or pig gun that is polite enough for the shoulders of growing young men. Personally since we are giving opinions, I would stay away from the .243. in my mind it is fantastic for yotes, blackbuck and javie sized critters but doesn't have the muscle for big heavy pigs caked in Texas mud.

Last edited by Jon B; 03-03-2021 at 04:51 AM.
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 06:06 AM   #8
c3products20
Spike

My 4yr old has been practicing with his 8yr old brothers howa mp1500 6.5 creedmoore. He shoots it well enough to harvest a deer or hog but he's not ready to take a life yet. The 8yr old on the other hand, he's been keeping me busy at the cleaning station!!! The gun is pretty heavy so there's not much recoil and it shoots really well!

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk
c3products20 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 07:08 AM   #9
TCB
Ten Point

If the gun is going to be suppressed, go with a 6.5 CM and load up some 100gr barnes. I've got one cut to 16.5" suppressed and barely notice any recoil. Pigs were all DRT and the buck I shot went 50 yards.

As they get older and want to go after bigger game, you can load up some 140gr. and kill basically anything in Texas.
TCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 10:09 AM   #10
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

I put this 6 Creed together for my nephew on a Manners CS. He’s the smallest 5 year old in his class be a full head, and he handles it just fine on his own. That said he’s using my barreled action for the time being, but his action is sitting in my safe and we’re just waiting on the barrel to come in. Going with a 20” carbon 6 Creed shooting factory 103s like he’s been doing.

Name:  694ED872-5818-4A70-B4CC-7E2584108E13.jpeg
Views: 760
Size:  314.9 KB

He’s killed 4 pigs with it in the last 2-3 months, and none have made it more than 20 yds. I’ve killed a lot more than that with it, and few rarely run. Personally I prefer the 108 ELDM for hogs. I’ve got a pretty good body count on my 22 Creed for hogs as well, and Trophy8 can attest to its abilities for dropping them.

Last edited by TX03RUBI; 03-03-2021 at 10:13 AM.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 10:39 AM   #11
txagyotebuster
Eight Point

Just do the 6 creed and then it can double as your truck gun we've been talking about....do it
txagyotebuster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 10:46 AM   #12
mzurovec
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet

Short/heavy barreled .243, 7-08, .308, 6.5 Creed, 6 Creed. I wouldn't worry about velocity losses with the short barrel as I'd bet shots at critters will be sub 300.
mzurovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 11:04 AM   #13
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Hunt In: NTX

243 with 18'-20' threaded barrel. Tons of versatility from blazing fast predator rounds to heavier deer rounds.
Fmjag64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 12:28 PM   #14
Silentnight
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
I put this 6 Creed together for my nephew on a Manners CS. Heís the smallest 5 year old in his class be a full head, and he handles it just fine on his own. That said heís using my barreled action for the time being, but his action is sitting in my safe and weíre just waiting on the barrel to come in. Going with a 20Ē carbon 6 Creed shooting factory 103s like heís been doing.

Heís killed 4 pigs with it in the last 2-3 months, and none have made it more than 20 yds. Iíve killed a lot more than that with it, and few rarely run. Personally I prefer the 108 ELDM for hogs. Iíve got a pretty good body count on my 22 Creed for hogs as well, and Trophy8 can attest to its abilities for dropping them.
Good to hear. My kids are on the small side also so Iím glad to hear it fits him well.
Any reason you went with the CS vs the CS2?

I kinda like the CS for the narrower and shorter forend but I donít know if you can find them.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:29 PM   #15
Silentnight
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txagyotebuster View Post
Just do the 6 creed and then it can double as your truck gun we've been talking about....do it
Maybe... just maybe. Iíll just tell the better half itís for the kids lol
Old 03-03-2021, 01:52 PM   #16
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentnight View Post
Good to hear. My kids are on the small side also so Iím glad to hear it fits him well.
Any reason you went with the CS vs the CS2?

I kinda like the CS for the narrower and shorter forend but I donít know if you can find them.
Specifically went CS for the shorter forend. It took me a while of looking, but I finally found it in the Manners Stocks Ready to Ship page. I refuse to order a custom build from Manners ever again after the last couple incidents Iíve had with custom orders, as well as others by buddies.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:03 PM   #17
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

I'm a big fan of the 257 Roberts...whole lotta folks have killed their first deer with my great grandmother's 722 which was cut down.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 03:16 PM   #18
kck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fayette, Colorado and Maverick County

Any 308 based or 30 TC based case and go with it. They’ll all shoot well as shorties. If you go with a 7-08, don’t worry about making an ackley out of it as you won’t gain enough to matter.
kck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 08:16 PM   #19
bam bam
Six Point

Hunt In: Everywhere!

6mm ARC
bam bam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 08:39 PM   #20
JRG_80
Ten Point

Hunt In: Maverick Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
I'm a big fan of the 257 Roberts...whole lotta folks have killed their first deer with my great grandmother's 722 which was cut down.
Took 17 post but the right option was finally posted!
257 Roberts
.the 260 would be my #2 and is a excellent choice too.

jrg
JRG_80 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 08:42 PM   #21
kkp005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Madison County

Will it be suppressed? If so I’d go 16-18” 308.
My 308’s suppressed have hardly any recoil. Even shooting 175gr bullets
kkp005 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 08:47 PM   #22
Silentnight
Four Point

Quote:
Specifically went CS for the shorter forend. It took me a while of looking, but I finally found it in the Manners Stocks Ready to Ship page. I refuse to order a custom build from Manners ever again after the last couple incidents Iíve had with custom orders, as well as others by buddies.
I see your CS doesnít have the adjustable cheek rest. Does your nephew still get a good cheek weld?
Old 03-03-2021, 08:50 PM   #23
Silentnight
Four Point

Quote:
While Iím not a 308 fan....itís hard to beat the efficiency of it in a short barrel. Roll 110-125 grain bullets and let em eat.

What no love for the 6.5 MB Matt?? I see you posted ever other creed option but that one lol
Old 03-03-2021, 09:08 PM   #24
Silentnight
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRG_80 View Post
Took 17 post but the right option was finally posted!
257 Roberts
.the 260 would be my #2 and is a excellent choice too.

jrg
I like the 257 Bob but I kinda want to stick to something I can find ammo for easily and wonít have to reload for.

I have a 260 already and shoot it suppressed. It would be one that I would consider for sure
Old 03-03-2021, 09:25 PM   #25
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
What no love for the 6.5 MB Matt?? I see you posted ever other creed option but that one lol
Cuz the others do a good job. The 6.5 doesn’t haha. Never understood why folks don’t take to the 260 or 6.5-284 like they do the 6.5 creed.

I will add....a buddy just build an 18” 6.5 creed cuz he got parts cheap and a prefit for like $300. He’s slinging heavy pills at 2700+. Handloads. That impressed me. My 24” was slow as ****.

With so many options there’s only one thing to do.
Build a few!

You’re welcome to test drive my 6 creed or 22 creed. Same rifle. Switch lug.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:57 PM   #26
Silentnight
Four Point

Quote:
Cuz the others do a good job. The 6.5 doesnít haha. Never understood why folks donít take to the 260 or 6.5-284 like they do the 6.5 creed.

I will add....a buddy just build an 18Ē 6.5 creed cuz he got parts cheap and a prefit for like $300. Heís slinging heavy pills at 2700+. Handloads. That impressed me. My 24Ē was slow as ****.

With so many options thereís only one thing to do.
Build a few!

Youíre welcome to test drive my 6 creed or 22 creed. Same rifle. Switch lug.
I actually have a 260 and 6.5x284 for that very reason! Only reason the 6.5 bun is popular is because of marketing.

Your buddyís creed is getting it out of an 18Ē barrel. Thatís pretty impressive. Automatic sniper lol

I might have to take you up on that one day. We arenít but about an hour apart and we can stretch it out pretty good around here.

Are you liking the switch lug? Is it as repeatable as they claim? And is it a pain to have to re adjust your scope after switching barrels or not too bad?
Old 03-04-2021, 07:43 AM   #27
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
I see your CS doesn’t have the adjustable cheek rest. Does your nephew still get a good cheek weld?
I’d be lying if I said I knew. I put the rifle together, zeroed it, and dropped it off with my brother in law. He’s the one that’s been with my nephew anytime he shoots. I did have him shooting a custom 223 at 4 years old though

For myself I was expecting to have a compromise in cheek weld. It was actually much better than expected. I wouldn’t have any issues running that rifle as is.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:11 AM   #28
tommy1005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall Co.

I have the CS with the cheek riser on a 6.5 Creed with a 22Ē barrel. My 8yo handles it ok, but would handle it better if the barrel was 18Ē especially since it always has a suppressor on the end of it. Wish Iíd thought of giving it to him when I was building it a few years ago for one of the APR builds, but I had planned for it to be mine. Ended up putting the stock on it to take to Africa incase he wanted to shoot something, but he hasnít been quite ready to take a life and Iím sure not going to rush him. He loves being in the stand with me and I always have his rifle incase he decides today is the day.
tommy1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2021, 09:35 AM   #29
Silentnight
Four Point

Quote:
I’d be lying if I said I knew. I put the rifle together, zeroed it, and dropped it off with my brother in law. He’s the one that’s been with my nephew anytime he shoots. I did have him shooting a custom 223 at 4 years old though

For myself I was expecting to have a compromise in cheek weld. It was actually much better than expected. I wouldn’t have any issues running that rifle as is.
What are the specs on that cs? Elite shell and DBM with mini chassis?

Also are the inlets as specific as they say on manners website regarding the action or do all 700 clones work for the most part?

Last edited by Silentnight; 03-04-2021 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:42 AM   #30
Silentnight
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1005 View Post
I have the CS with the cheek riser on a 6.5 Creed with a 22Ē barrel. My 8yo handles it ok, but would handle it better if the barrel was 18Ē especially since it always has a suppressor on the end of it. Wish Iíd thought of giving it to him when I was building it a few years ago for one of the APR builds, but I had planned for it to be mine. Ended up putting the stock on it to take to Africa incase he wanted to shoot something, but he hasnít been quite ready to take a life and Iím sure not going to rush him. He loves being in the stand with me and I always have his rifle incase he decides today is the day.
Iím in the same boat as you. My 7 year old killed his first deer when he was 6 and is all about it. I think it may take my 5 year old a little longer to jump in, but Iím definitely not going to push it.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:57 AM   #31
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
What are the specs on that cs? Elite shell and DBM with mini chassis?

Also are the inlets as specific as they say on manners website regarding the action or do all 700 clones work for the most part?
Standard shell, Rem 700 footprint, non mini chassis, cut for M5 BDM. The only change I had to make was a slight inlet for the side bolt release.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:08 PM   #32
PROD49
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction Texas

Quote:
While Iím not a 308 fan....itís hard to beat the efficiency of it in a short barrel. Roll 110-125 grain bullets and let em eat.

This. Also I think my .308 bolt has less recoil and is way more quiet suppressed than my Grendel suppressed.
PROD49 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2021, 07:13 PM   #33
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
I actually have a 260 and 6.5x284 for that very reason! Only reason the 6.5 bun is popular is because of marketing.

Your buddyís creed is getting it out of an 18Ē barrel. Thatís pretty impressive. Automatic sniper lol

I might have to take you up on that one day. We arenít but about an hour apart and we can stretch it out pretty good around here.

Are you liking the switch lug? Is it as repeatable as they claim? And is it a pain to have to re adjust your scope after switching barrels or not too bad?
I really donít swap the barrels hardly ever. But it did repeat. In fact, I had the entire gun taken apart. Scope off. Action by itself. Barrel off. Slapped it all back together and torqued the action screws and it was sighted in perfectly.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:42 PM   #34
Tommyh
Pope & Young

22-250, or 250-3000, make it interesting.
Tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 08:57 AM   #35
Silentnight
Four Point

Quote:
Standard shell, Rem 700 footprint, non mini chassis, cut for M5 BDM. The only change I had to make was a slight inlet for the side bolt release.
Good deal. Well if you come across another CS Iíd be interested in buying it.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:00 AM   #36
Silentnight
Four Point

Quote:
I really donít swap the barrels hardly ever. But it did repeat. In fact, I had the entire gun taken apart. Scope off. Action by itself. Barrel off. Slapped it all back together and torqued the action screws and it was sighted in perfectly.
Thatís pretty good. I was maybe considering a switch lug on this rifle but thatís a ways off. Have to find a stock first
Old 03-05-2021, 12:11 PM   #37
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

Quote:
Good deal. Well if you come across another CS Iíd be interested in buying it.
You can order a CS from Manners as the price varies from $759 for a plain Jane, no frills added stock, to $1600 for all the bells and whistles. You occasionally see them for sale "used", as prices range from $950 to $1200 depending on options. When priced around $950, they don't last long. The most common versions FS that I run across are the TAC elite shell with the Gen 1 or 2 chassis DBM.
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 01:34 PM   #38
JACK750
Four Point

Hunt In: Hays County, DeWitt County

22-250. My daughter loves it.
JACK750 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 01:43 PM   #39
Silentnight
Four Point

Yeah I’ve been on manners website looking at prices. I figure the configuration I want would run around $950. If you come across another one let me know I’d be interested. New or used.
I’m going to post a WTB in the classifieds also. I don’t really get on any other hunting or shooting forum
Old 03-05-2021, 01:57 PM   #40
Silentnight
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Blake View Post
You can order a CS from Manners as the price varies from $759 for a plain Jane, no frills added stock, to $1600 for all the bells and whistles. You occasionally see them for sale "used", as prices range from $950 to $1200 depending on options. When priced around $950, they don't last long. The most common versions FS that I run across are the TAC elite shell with the Gen 1 or 2 chassis DBM.
I havenít looked into it much yet but do you know the difference between gen 1 & 2 chassis?
Old 03-05-2021, 03:31 PM   #41
trophy8
Pope & Young

Gen 2 doesn’t have the barricade blocker on the front of the magwell. And I believe the mag release is different.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:45 PM   #42
lglidewell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Burleson County

I’d go 308 like some of the others mentioned. My 6 yr old shoots my Tikka T3 308 16” barrel suppressed easily. It’s also the lightest rifle I have, total weight under 9 lbs.
lglidewell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2021, 09:58 PM   #43
Silentnight
Four Point

Well the deed is done.. getting a rifle built at West Texas Ordnance

6 Creed
Switch lug
Manners CS stock in High Plains (had on order already)
TL3
TT special
16.5” proof sendero (they had the blank in stock)
Hawkins precision hunter bottom metal

Clayton said he had all components in stock except for the stock which has already been on order. He is expecting to get the stock in about 90 days. He said the rifle would be done shortly after that.

Should be pretty handy
Old 03-27-2021, 01:35 AM   #44
RF76
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

7mm-08
RF76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2021, 01:31 PM   #45
txagyotebuster
Eight Point

Quote:
Well the deed is done.. getting a rifle built at West Texas Ordnance

6 Creed
Switch lug
Manners CS stock in High Plains (had on order already)
TL3
TT special
16.5Ē proof sendero (they had the blank in stock)
Hawkins precision hunter bottom metal

Clayton said he had all components in stock except for the stock which has already been on order. He is expecting to get the stock in about 90 days. He said the rifle would be done shortly after that.

Should be pretty handy

Should be pretty sweet. I'll show you how to shoot it when it comes in
txagyotebuster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2021, 02:12 PM   #46
SRK14
Eight Point

Hunt In: Cass, miller

250 savage?
SRK14 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2021, 02:57 PM   #47
Jason Slocum
Eight Point

Hunt In: Enchanted Rock

Iím going the other direction and am starting to look for a single shot H&R (sbr) 12Ē 300 blackout with a custom 1:5 twist barrel. Iím a big fan of the AAC handy rifle, but want a short, and 1:5 twist barrel for shooting and stabilizing 190gr + subs, and still be able to shoot supers

Jason Slocum
Jason Slocum is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2021, 03:55 PM   #48
1sickLT1
Spike

Hunt In: Fannin County

A suppressed 6.5 is definitely what I'll be building for my oldest when its time for his first.
1sickLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2021, 05:08 PM   #49
JakeGraves
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bronte, TX

If your range isn’t going past 200 yards, I would look heavily at the wimpy little 300 blk. 110’s in a 16” barrel are perfect for Texas deer and pigs as well as the recoil is so minimal, the little ones won’t develop a flinch.
JakeGraves is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2021, 05:09 PM   #50
JakeGraves
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bronte, TX

My 6 year old has already killed three deer with a 300blk SBR.
JakeGraves is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top