55 gallon septic- draining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

55 gallon septic- draining

I'm new to the 55 gallon septic systems & am pretty ignorant. I have two of them connected & both are pretty full so I need to drain them soon. I've asked around & apparently it's not uncommon to drain it by pumping it out & blowing it onto the nearby ground. Below is a pic of a $200 Harbor Freight 2 inch 212cc semi-trash, 158 gum, water pump. I read the reviews & one person said he used it to empty his septic tank. All other reviews talk about only using it for water. Will this empty both 55 gallons of poop & pee? I know there are pumps specifically for septics but I'd also like to use this to pump water into a few IBC water totes for critters.
    Attached Files

I’m sure the critters will appreciate that...

Comment

Not sure how it would do on the solids unless they are broke down pretty good.

Comment

I would use a trash pump

I see it says semi- trash so it will work

Comment

It will work fine as long as you don’t have any small rocks or peebles in the bottom of your 55 gallon barrels,use the supplied screen or just be sure to keep it off the bottom

Comment

Make sure you bring plenty of water to prime the pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Coffee can nailed onto a bed slat. Get to dipping and load it in 5 gallon buckets and tote it out to the back pasture. That was the way we did it long time ago.

Comment

We have a situation at my parents lake place where we pump a grey water holding tank into two IBC totes and haul it half a mile away to another property we own with a shop/metal building that has a drain field we drain the tanks with a 3/4” hose.
                So I have a little experience doing 750 gallons at a time. Only grey water, no solids. We have a professional come one time per year and vacuum both tanks.
                Electric pumps are quiet and not fussy about sitting like gas motors with ethanol blended gas in them. Why make a crappy job potentially crappier?
                All I can say is it’s easier to push water than pull, so I’d look into a submersible pump that is trash rated with a 2” port for galvanized stand pipe and quick disconnects and ball valves or backflow valves. No fussing with priming a submersible. It can be a pretty simple system that’s fail safe and won’t give you a shower with used water.
                As far as sharing a pump, I’d have trouble eating a deer that was just moments before becoming my dinner drinking from a trough that...
                Also, just thinking of a guest unknowingly rinsing their hands or a knife would make me gag.
                Last edited by Txtourist; 02-08-2021, 10:00 PM.

Comment

All you need. Hook it up, set up the float and forget about it. I had one survive 4 years handling a toilet trailer at a drilling rig when I was oilfield service. Average lifespan was 2 years. Averaged 1000gl weekly pump out from holding tanks

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I would look into why the field lines are not draining unless you want to do this often.

Comment

Remember, Septic tanks suppose to stay full of water, The solids are broken down then water drains unto the field. The only reason to drain is to remove solids. I like GatorGars suggestion.

Comment

What type of soil are your drums set in? Lateral lines plugged?

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                          What type of soil are your drums set in? Lateral lines plugged?
                          Not sure what type of soil & am pretty sure I don't have any lateral lines- just two 55 gallon connected to each other.

Comment

I have had 55gallon drums last years without needing pumping, , but we don’t flush paper down the systems. We go Mexico style and put paperwork in a trash box then burn it,
                            Also use green pig treatment, that pump should make short order on pumping a tank or filling up tout

Gotta have some type of lateral line some where, depending on the soil
                            Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 02-09-2021, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Sounds like he just uses the barrels to dump the waste into --- NO lateral lines.

For what you want to do, I would think the pump would work. Sounds like a nasty task.

I've seen folks bury tanks with holes and rocks in the bottom. I've seen lateral lines (also buried). I've also just ran a line out into a field from the trailer which would save you from getting a pump and continuing with emptying the barrels.

Comment

Working...
                              X