Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-26-2021, 09:40 PM   #601
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

That is good to know Jon Paul. Yeah, it is stiff as can be to steer one with the motor off. Exactly like you'd think when you try to steer a car with power steering when the motor is off. That was why I said that about Popeye arms.

I did read that it pulls a ton of juice as you use the steering especially at full lock. So if you run twisty, windy stuff it'll draw faster than it can recharge. I was reading a little about it after you mentioned that.

Lee, they have power steering to deal with the torque I'd imagine.

El General, yes sir. It is living in Rockport now and soon to be a floundering rig. An old friend of mine who I lived a couple doors down from when I was a kid bought it. My boat was supposed to be ready about 4 or 5 weeks ago so after Christmas we went on and did the deal and I let it go so he could get busy on getting it rigged. He retired from the oilfield and is guiding in Rockport. He's going to guide floundering trips out of it.

I don't know how well the drift paddles would help. Since we mainly drift broadside. Where that hull needs drag is on the bow. They like to drift with the bow angling downwind just a tad and they slide towards the bow as you drift. I don't know if they would help or not. I could see me getting those things stuck in the mud or something too. I may ask my guy at PP and see what he says. I have not ever seen anyone down here use them.

Slew, no livescope. I am not sure if that would help me or not. Maybe in a few situations. If I have to buy a pontoon boat and head to the lakes to make a living I'll get one for sure. I'd like to see how it works though. I can think of a couple situations where it might be pretty nifty.
Capt Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 09:42 PM   #602
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Nice boat Glenn! Canít wait to see it rigged out!
That makes two of us.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:50 PM   #603
Wall_Hanger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria & Re„l county
Default 2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread!

It the steering is hot when the motor is off, Iíd be buying some relays and rewiring it to trigger off engine power. Thatís the dumbest thing ever.
Wall_Hanger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2021, 12:24 AM   #604
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemo View Post
Why electric steering?
With a 350 at WOT I'm thinking a broken steering cable or blown hydraulic hose could be disastrous, electric if it fails probably just hard to steer. I'm sure there's still fittings that can come loose though so dunno if it's that much better, just trying to throw out possible advantages.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2021, 09:47 PM   #605
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

Another little report for y'all. Several of us fished today. Overall the results were pretty good. My group threw plastics and we caught 12 trout, 2 reds and 2 flounder. My guys elected to let all but 3 go so they could fry some fish tonight. I also heard from several other groups who caught a fair number of redfish, drum and a few trout. One other group was wading and caught a bunch of trout, over 20 plus some reds and a flounder and they released their fish too. A buddy of mine didn't have a trip but he ran out for an hour or so mid day and he caught and released 7 trout on soft plastics. All in all a pretty good day on the water.

Here is the kicker. A buddy took his group to East Matagorda Bay this morning. Drifted with the dead fish. First drift they caught a trout, a red and a couple drum. So I guess they didn't all die. He was as far from the ICW as you can possibly get too. So it wasn't like he caught fish coming out of the ICW. He was literally the farthest possible place in EMB from the ICW. He said they saw some mullet here and there too. But after one drift just to see what would happen he drug up and moved on. I thought that was pretty interesting.

Water temps were up to 64 today. The tide was pretty weak but water levels weren't bad.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:25 PM   #606
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Great report Glenn. I sure enjoy hearing about us policing ourselves instead of big brother stepping in. Keep the reports coming.
Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2021, 11:03 PM   #607
Pin Oak DXT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wharton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Glenn View Post
Another little report for y'all. Several of us fished today. Overall the results were pretty good. My group threw plastics and we caught 12 trout, 2 reds and 2 flounder. My guys elected to let all but 3 go so they could fry some fish tonight. I also heard from several other groups who caught a fair number of redfish, drum and a few trout. One other group was wading and caught a bunch of trout, over 20 plus some reds and a flounder and they released their fish too. A buddy of mine didn't have a trip but he ran out for an hour or so mid day and he caught and released 7 trout on soft plastics. All in all a pretty good day on the water.

Here is the kicker. A buddy took his group to East Matagorda Bay this morning. Drifted with the dead fish. First drift they caught a trout, a red and a couple drum. So I guess they didn't all die. He was as far from the ICW as you can possibly get too. So it wasn't like he caught fish coming out of the ICW. He was literally the farthest possible place in EMB from the ICW. He said they saw some mullet here and there too. But after one drift just to see what would happen he drug up and moved on. I thought that was pretty interesting.

Water temps were up to 64 today. The tide was pretty weak but water levels weren't bad.
Thanks for the report Glenn. It is encouraging. I bet it felt good to be back on the water.
Pin Oak DXT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2021, 11:23 PM   #608
Kingfisher789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

Quote:
350 Verado

Two power poles on the jackplate, Bob's jackplate, 36v Terrova, 9" Garmin, wade ladder, modest stereo, vhf, etc. I'm gonna have Safe Floor installed as soon as they can do it. The livewell in front of the console is insulated so I can use it for my drink cooler. Fish box under the leaning post. Steps to get up on the front deck with room between them for a cooler when I need it, two storage compartments up front, livewel and 2 storage compartments in the rear, 2 cranking batteries, 3 trolling motor batteries and the Power Pole Charge battery management system. I think that is about it.
Go big or go home! I like it. Why did you choose that power?
Kingfisher789 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2021, 08:20 AM   #609
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

Way to go Glenn! Thanks for the report!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2021, 08:32 AM   #610
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Webb Counties

Good deal Glenn. I was wondering how you did.
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2021, 08:34 AM   #611
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:

Good to hear Glenn! Hopefully the good news keeps up.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2021, 08:38 AM   #612
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Good news.

Most guys would be happy with those numbers before the freeze
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2021, 11:53 AM   #613
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
Go big or go home! I like it. Why did you choose that power?
The 350 Verado matches up well with the Magnum. It's quiet, strong and fast which translates into a really strong cruise speed to me. And then resale is stronger and easier to accomplish with the 350 vs smaller motors. The Magnum actually performs very well with a 250. The 350 vs 250 or 300 is more about easier resale.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:53 AM   #614
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Good news.

Most guys would be happy with those numbers before the freeze

Me for 1. Feb is a fickle month.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:30 PM   #615
justletmein
Pope & Young

**** good and encouraging report!
Old 02-28-2021, 01:40 PM   #616
Palmetto
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, Old Ocean

In the Caney yesterday. Saw atleast 10 of these big ones, and dozens of smaller. Only other fish I saw were mullet.

They were easy to spot with those yellow fins sticking up.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Palmetto is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2021, 02:37 PM   #617
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto View Post
In the Caney yesterday. Saw atleast 10 of these big ones, and dozens of smaller. Only other fish I saw were mullet.

They were easy to spot with those yellow fins sticking up.
Were there many trout dead in the creek?

Nevermind, I just re-read it. I have a buddy who lives on a canal and he said he hasn't seen any dead trout or reds but I thought maybe you had looked around more than he has.

Last edited by Capt Glenn; 02-28-2021 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 03:22 PM   #618
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Itís crazy to think of the dead snook that have been found around the Matagorda area and just how few of them are ever caught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2021, 03:43 PM   #619
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Itís crazy to think of the dead snook that have been found around the Matagorda area and just how few of them are ever caught.

I was thinking the same. I've never seen one caught or at the ramp.

Hopefully some lived

Old 02-28-2021, 03:58 PM   #620
John Paul
Ten Point

Hunt In: Blackhill, McCoy, Encinal

Was down in Rockport this wk/end and it was a little smelly close to water. Walked a little on along Copano over on Goose side, it wasn't as bad as I thought but it was still pretty disheartening.
Attached Images

John Paul is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2021, 04:01 PM   #621
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Quote:

Hopefully some lived

I was having this conversation with someone a while back. Iíve caught 4 in Matagorda, and one in Sargent. 3 of the ones in Matagorda came from the locks while flounder fishing in the spring, one at the jetties. They live in different water than people normally fish for trout. There was a guy that used to come into our shop and he regularly caught them to 30Ē at the harbor in Matty. Working at our docks in Freeport, there were schools of them that would hang around the pilings. Iím talking 70-100 fish, and good sized. Of course no fishing allowed in there. I think the freeze will probably wipe out the majority. I talked to a guy in Sargent that targeted them and juvenile tarpon in Caney Creek. He had a technique down and got them pretty regularly.
Old 02-28-2021, 04:20 PM   #622
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

I've caught quite a few snook at the jetties and in the river. They are exactly where you'd expect to find them.

Last fall I was catching mangrove snapper one evening by free shrimping with an ultralight spinning rod and hooked about a 30" tarpon. It was a very brief experience on that little ultralight but it was very cool to see.
Old 02-28-2021, 04:21 PM   #623
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
I've caught quite a few snook at the jetties and in the river. They are exactly where you'd expect to find them.

Last fall I was catching mangrove snapper one evening by free shrimping with an ultralight spinning rod and hooked about a 30" tarpon. It was a very brief experience on that little ultralight but it was very cool to see.
My brother caught about a 33-34” Tarpon right there at Braggs earlier this fall. I would love to catch one.
Old 02-28-2021, 04:33 PM   #624
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
My brother caught about a 33-34Ē Tarpon right there at Braggs earlier this fall. I would love to catch one.

I thought I caught one back in the fall in the diversion. When it came out of the water I was excited and my kids where going crazy. Turned out to be a 25Ē lady fish. I was disappointed.

Old 02-28-2021, 06:00 PM   #625
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:

Hopefully some lived

I've caught two down there. I thought I had a STAR winning trout coming in but turned out to be a big *** snook.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:31 AM   #626
Leemo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fowlerton

Smells real nice out here
Attached Images

Leemo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 08:41 AM   #627
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Hunt In: Who knows

I hear ya Leemo. I went to my place in Sargent and there's a few hundred dead mullet floating in my canal. I still have the smell burned into my nose today, my wife was rubbing Vick's vapor rub on her nose last night trying to get rid of it.
kevin nicholls is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 08:52 AM   #628
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemo View Post
Smells real nice out here
Bet them crabs are happy.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:05 AM   #629
Jaycar85
Ten Point

Hunt In: Salado/moffat

I plan on going to Port Aransas and fish inshore March 15th I was just wondering what to throw I like artificial I'm a bass fisher men so would some watermelon red flukes work or some corkys, Gulp shrimp on a jig head?just trying to pick the green screens brain on what to throw and what colors.

I will not be keeping any of the fish strictly catch-and-release
Jaycar85 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 11:12 AM   #630
Pin Oak DXT
Pope & Young

Iím scheduled to fish with some buddies down south with Chad Peterek on April 9th. It should be interesting.

Old 03-01-2021, 12:34 PM   #631
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

We catch snook and small tarpon up the brazos but like Glen said its where you would expect to find them
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 12:40 PM   #632
Walker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycar85 View Post
I plan on going to Port Aransas and fish inshore March 15th I was just wondering what to throw I like artificial I'm a bass fisher men so would some watermelon red flukes work or some corkys, Gulp shrimp on a jig head?just trying to pick the green screens brain on what to throw and what colors.

Gold spoon for starters. When I fish gulps I put them under a popping cork.
Walker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 12:59 PM   #633
Jaycar85
Ten Point

Hunt In: Salado/moffat

The old gold spoon. Lol i have zero confidence in one prob cause i have never thrown one. Guess no time like the presint. Thanks for the tip
Jaycar85 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 01:56 PM   #634
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Gulp can be fished under a popping cork or on a jig head either one, the fish will tell which way they prefer
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 02:20 PM   #635
LivinADream
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Winnie, Piqua KS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycar85 View Post

I catch a lot of fish on flukes in the salt.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
LivinADream is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 02:22 PM   #636
Pin Oak DXT
Pope & Young

Default 2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread!

https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?...LXu2B7xyVJebdm

Update on the STAR tourney. Looks like only a tagged redfish division this year and thatís even CPR.

Old 03-01-2021, 02:42 PM   #637
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post
https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?...LXu2B7xyVJebdm

Update on the STAR tourney. Looks like only a tagged redfish division this year and thatís even CPR.

I saw that, good for them.

I don't think it would have been smart to try to have that portion of the tournament. And it sucks for CCA, I am sure they took a big hit last year with the banquets all being cancelled. STAAR is huge for them and this may hurt them if they don't get real creative on how they will restructure the inshore portion. I wish them well with it.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:25 PM   #638
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
I saw that, good for them.

I don't think it would have been smart to try to have that portion of the tournament. And it sucks for CCA, I am sure they took a big hit last year with the banquets all being cancelled. STAAR is huge for them and this may hurt them if they don't get real creative on how they will restructure the inshore portion. I wish them well with it.
I will still enter

Old 03-01-2021, 04:05 PM   #639
gigem95
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grimes,Montgomery,Waller County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
Gulp can be fished under a popping cork or on a jig head either one, the fish will tell which way they prefer

When you fish it under a cork do you still use a light jig head or an unweighted hook?

gigem95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 04:08 PM   #640
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem95 View Post
When you fish it under a cork do you still use a light jig head or an unweighted hook?

Iíve used a jig head.

Old 03-01-2021, 04:19 PM   #641
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem95 View Post

You can do it either way. I use a 1/16th oz jighead. Just enough to sink it. I know lots of guys who when they switch from shrimp to gulps leave the same hook and rig on they were using for live shrimp and just hook a gulp shrimp on there and they catch fish too.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:22 PM   #642
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

One of my new favorites under a cork is a Lil John on a 1/16 oz head.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:41 PM   #643
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
One of my new favorites under a cork is a Lil John on a 1/16 oz head.
I catch a lot of fish on exactly that rig. It's a great setup for all skill levels too. A great way to break someone new into catching fish on lures.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:19 PM   #644
Wall_Hanger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria & Re„l county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post
Iím scheduled to fish with some buddies down south with Chad Peterek on April 9th. It should be interesting.

Ol Punkin' is pretty good two things, talking crap and finding fish. I'm sure you will do just fine though Chad may have to "work" more than normal haha. If anyone ever sold their soul, it was him. He's married to my good friends sister, good dude and heck of a fisherman.
Wall_Hanger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 06:20 PM   #645
Kingfisher789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

Any of y’all ever read Glory of the Silver King. The golden age of Tarpon fishing?
Kingfisher789 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 08:38 PM   #646
aironeout
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen,and DeWitt Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
Ol Punkin' is pretty good two things, talking crap and finding fish. I'm sure you will do just fine though Chad may have to "work" more than normal haha. If anyone ever sold their soul, it was him. He's married to my good friends sister, good dude and heck of a fisherman.
You got that right. Ole "Shoreline" can definitely talk caca and find fish.

>E
aironeout is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 07:28 AM   #647
Neck
Pope & Young

Hunt In: DeWitt County

Quote:
I will still enter

Definitely. Winning was always just a side benefit.

That said, whatever prizes or money are left over and not awarded thru the caught redfish (tags), it will all be distributed via random drawings of all registered participants.

All parents should sign their kiddos up cuz even little Billy could win a $50k scholarship even though he stayed home playing xbox and never even got a line wet.
Neck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 09:06 AM   #648
Eastwood
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neck View Post
Definitely. Winning was always just a side benefit.

That said, whatever prizes or money are left over and not awarded thru the caught redfish (tags), it will all be distributed via random drawings of all registered participants.

All parents should sign their kiddos up cuz even little Billy could win a $50k scholarship even though he stayed home playing xbox and never even got a line wet.
Yeah, last year a co-worker of mine went to port aransas to fish with a guide. He showed us pictures when he got back and his preteen granddaughter caught a 29'' trout. The guide just filleted it with the rest. I told them to enter the star before they left, but he didn't.
Eastwood is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 04:17 PM   #649
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays County

I went out again this morning to capture the progress of the clean up of our shorelines here in Rockport.

See the video here:
https://youtu.be/adquciw6CQs

The Aransas County Navigation District has been working hard to clean things up. I've been watching for any reports from Texas Parks and Wildlife, but I'm sure their assessment will take some time.
goofiefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 08:41 PM   #650
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Any reports from the Port Isabel/SPI area?
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top