Wood burning insert recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texaspacker View Post
    Forgot to mention $3000 of that was to clean 60 years of creosol out & reline the old chimney.
    they put a stainless steel liner (stovepipe) inside my existing flu. I didn't have any creosote build up. The liner was $750 of the cost ,I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
      Yes, i gave about $5500 for mine, installed.
      Forgot to mention $3000 of that was to clean 60 years of creosol out & reline the old chimney.

Comment

Originally posted by texaspacker View Post
        You can say that again.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Are there any brands to stay away from or any key features to look for? So far I am thinking catalytic but not sure how much of a difference it makes.

There is a gov program offering a 26% tax credit on the stove and install but not sure that will benefit us since we don’t itemize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
            A LOT more efficient. Mine has heat tubes in the top of it and combustion air control. My old fireplace had blowers, but this insert is several times more efficient.
            Yep my Ashley is very miserly on wood when using good oak

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
              You can say that again.

You can say that again.

Comment

The metal fire box holds and redistributes heat better than a stone or brick fireplace. Most inserts also have fans to blow warm air into the room.

You all's prices sound way expensive. Up here they usually just put a metal stove pipe up the existing chimney without big costs, or run it out the side wall with stove pipe running along side the house.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                  The metal fire box holds and redistributes heat better than a stone or brick fireplace. Most inserts also have fans to blow warm air into the room.

You all's prices sound way expensive. Up here they usually just put a metal stove pipe up the existing chimney without big costs, or run it out the side wall with stove pipe running along side the house.

Thanks for your feedback. I was hoping to be around the $3500 range installed.

Comment

Insert or stove you can control the amount of air into the stove and the damper controls the air and heat going out. You will burn less wood and get more heat. A lot more efficient that a fire place. Free standing stove is more efficient than insert because of all the heat coming from around the stove and heat off 8 or 10ft of stovepipe but if you already have a fireplace like me insert is probably my only option. Blower will help both freestanding and insert.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                      Insert or stove you can control the amount of air into the stove and the damper controls the air and heat going out. You will burn less wood and get more heat. A lot more efficient that a fire place. Free standing stove is more efficient than insert because of all the heat coming from around the stove and heat off 8 or 10ft of stovepipe but if you already have a fireplace like me insert is probably my only option. Blower will help both freestanding and insert.
                      A free standing stove is probably more efficient, but it kinda has to be planned for. It sticks out in the room rather than being on a wall so it works better for a build than in an existing situation. Get the right one though, and you can cook on it, heat your house, and add to the decor. Might not be the best choice if you have small children, especially visitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        A free standing stove is probably more efficient, but it kinda has to be planned for. It sticks out in the room rather than being on a wall so it works better for a build than in an existing situation. Get the right one though, and you can cook on it, heat your house, and add to the decor. Might not be the best choice if you have small children, especially visitors.

We have small children and an existing traditional fireplace. A wood burning insert seems to be the best solution for our situation.

Comment

I have a large see through fire place in the middle of my living room. Do any of these companies make custom built inserts or are they designed with flashing and such for existing fireplaces? We never use our fireplace due to how cold it makes the rest of teh house. I would really entertain the idea of a insert.

Comment

Originally posted by 9452772 View Post
                            I have a large see through fire place in the middle of my living room. Do any of these companies make custom built inserts or are they designed with flashing and such for existing fireplaces? We never use our fireplace due to how cold it makes the rest of teh house. I would really entertain the idea of a insert.

Wood burning inserts are made to be installed in an existing fireplace. Is your fireplace in the center of the room and can be seen from multiple angles? If so, I’m not sure about that other than possibly installing two insert to retain the visual appearance from both sides. From my research over the past few days, wood burning inserts seem to be a good investment for all electric homes or homes that are subject to cold weather.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                              Sorry if this is a dumb question...What do these things do different to the fireplace? Adds door and fan?
                              It is all about controlling air flow. Normal fireplaces suck the heated air out of a home and send it up the chimney. I started off trying to bump efficiency by using a glass door across the opening that also gave me an adjustable air control. It did not work well. When I did my research twenty-five years ago, I was looking at options that closed off the front of the fireplace and drew combustion air from outdoors. We ended up building a new home and installed a wood burning stove inside an alcove build of Texas cream stone. It is attractive and does a much better job that anything we have ever owned.

Comment

Originally posted by John Paul View Post
                                This is ours.
                                That's not an insert, that's just a fireplace.

Comment

Working...
                                X