Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 12-06-2020, 09:16 PM   #1
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Default Wife's greenhouse

After I got done building the deck on the back of our house, which that was the first project I had ever done like that. I decided to build my wife a large greenhouse. Because every year, we have to haul her overly large plants in the house, which is a chore. Those plants just keep getting bigger, heavier and more difficult to move, without breaking them. Her pencil cactus long ago, got too big to get into the house. The last time we moved it in the house, we broke and scratched up a lot of stuff, getting it in the house. So I decided, she needed a large greenhouse, because these plants are only going to get bigger and heavier.

I build all types of stuff out of steel, aluminum and stainless, but wood is not my thing, if I can't weld it I am lost. So this greenhouse deal, has been a learning experience.

I decided to build it similar to our deck, with a floor made of the same deck wood we used to make the deck, then treated 4X4s, 2X4s, 2X6s. I wanted a floor that would allow us to move her huge plants around easily and not drag them through the dirt. That and I figured getting them up off the ground, would help keep them warmer.

So I got started on this deal last spring, I got the 4X4s cemented in the ground, then made the frame for the flooring. Then made the ramp going up into the greenhouse. I knew I wanted something to make the lower part of the walls with, but was not sure. If I would use some exterior wall paneling or if I was going to use brick or what. Since I did not find any good deals on bricks. I see people selling bricks on facebook market place and thought, if I can find someone selling bricks cheaply, and enough, to do the lower part o the greenhouse. I would use brick. But I never found any of those deals when I needed to. So we looked at exterior wall paneling, after looking at multiple options, we decided that Hardie Plank, would be the best option. It will not rot. So I could run it all the way to the ground and the pack dirt or cement around the bottom of the paneling all the way around, to keep cold air from getting under the floor. And to keep critters out from under the greenhouse.

Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 04-06-2021 at 08:05 AM.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2020, 09:26 PM   #2
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Looks awesome! What are your plans for the upper walls and ceiling??
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2020, 09:39 PM   #3
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Since I work six days a week and I was doing this project all by myself, as usual . Then I am a long ways away from being good a this type of stuff. Then typical of me, I had a idea in my head, but there were a lot of things I just figured out as I went. Basically, the work was not going fast, by any means.

So winter weather got here, long before I was done. Also the plastic I wanted to use for the upper part of the walls, is expensive and I did not have the money for that plastic, but really wanted to use that one type of plastic. The plastic I wanted to use, is made or greenhouses. it's 1/4" think and has square tubes in it, to improve it's insulation abilities. Last year, I was finding the stuff for about $200 for a 4'X8' sheet. It was going to take quite a few sheets of that stuff to finish the greenhouse. The greenhouse is 10' across and 16' deep. Then two 3' wide doors on the front. The walls are 8' high from the floor up.

So last year, we got her plants in the greenhouse, then wrapped the upper parts of the walls and the top with thick plastic sheet. That worked but had problems. The wind kept blowing the plastic loose. So I had to screw boards over the plastic to hold it on the greenhouse. Stapling it was not working, when the northers blew in. Then with the flat top, when it would rain, the plastic would fill up with water, causing the plastic to stretch and then rip. You can't see that from the outside. So the top would be wide open and some of her plants got damaged.

So at some point last winter, when it was warm. I made trusses, then it got cold and rained some more. So they sat there for a while. Then it warmed up and quit raining, so I figured out how to put them on top of the frame of the greenhouse, then hold them in place with 2X4s, while I screwed them to the greenhouse frame. Then tied all of the trusses together. Once I got that done. I put plastic over the trusses and left it that way for the rest of last winter.

Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 04-06-2021 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:49 PM   #4
txheartshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb & Gillespie counties

Great work. That thing will
Last forever. My folks just moved to their place outside of Doss, and my dad is going to have to build a green house for all my momís plants. Iím planning on helping when I can, and weíre thinking itíll be about this size. Anything you wouldíve done different? It looks stout as can be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txheartshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2020, 10:02 PM   #5
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

So at some point this past spring or summer, pulled the sheet plastic down, from the walls and roof. Then I got the corrugated plastic panels on the roof and that was all I really got done.

This this fall, my wife made it clear, I needed to get her greenhouse finished. so I started looking for plastic panels for the upper parts of the walls. I still wanted to use the hollow plastic greenhouse panels, but did not want to spend the money that the ones I found last year cost.

So we were at Home Depot a couple months ago and saw they had 2'X4' panels of the hollow greenhouse panels. They were only $35 each. So even two of those is only $70, much cheaper than the $200 for a 4'X8' panel, I had been seeing for the other stuff last year. So I bought quite a few of them, I lost count weeks ago.

I started off, thinking I was going to just screw them up on the greenhouse, it did not look very good and I was crushing the plastic panels where I was running screws in. So I went back to Home Depot and started looking for ideas to put those panels on the greenhouse. I looked all over the whole store. After being in there for probably 2 hours. I happened to go back to where they have the roofing panels and the greenhouse panels. At the end of the shelves they have all of that stuff. there is a cardboard tube, standing up, with clear plastic channel in it. I got to looking at that stuff and realized that's what you are supposed to use to attach the plastic greenhouse panels.
So I felt kind of stupid at that point. But nobody else at Home Depot knew that either, they are there most everyday working. Nowhere I looked, it said here is how you attach these panels to your greenhouse. It's a figure it out yourself deal. They make and sell all of the pieces, but I did not find any info on what you need and how to make it all work. I came up with my own system.

So with the system I came up with after asking many people about how I should attach the plastic channel to the greenhouse and got either, I don't know or just bad ideas, because they did not care or had no experience with the stuff.

I found some Phillips head screws that the heads are mostly flat, they are called modified truss screws, not sure how they are used on trusses. But I made them work for attaching greenhouse plastic panel channels.

I think it's starting to look pretty good at this point. My wife commented today, that it is starting to look a lot better than she was expecting. She obviously knows my carpentry skills.

I also put the plastic panel on the doors. The front of the greenhouse faces to the east, the back end to the west. So I wanted as much clear panel on the east, west and south walls. At one point, I was thinking of using left over Hardie Plank at top front and rear of the greenhouse, to close up the end trusses. But have decided to use the many left over pieces of the greenhouse plastic panels. I have the top of the rear end of the greenhouse done, as of today. I will get the top of the front end of the greenhouse done next weekend.

Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 04-06-2021 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:44 PM   #6
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

This whole project was a figure it out as I was working on it, deal. Like I said, the original 4'X8' plastic greenhouse panels I found, are right around $200 each. Then this fall we found the 2'X8' panels for $35 each, so $70 to make 4'X8'. Then on one of my many trips to Home Depot, looking for pieces to make something work and not knowing what I really needed. I swear I found some of the 4'X8' greenhouse plastic panels or $80 each.

Well when I got to putting the plastic panels on the doors, I figured out that I really needed at least 3'X8' panels. Then remembered that I thought I saw some 4'X8' panels for $80. So I looked online and sure enough I found some 4'X8' greenhouse panels for $80. So I went to Home Depot, they said yes, at one time they had them but have not hand any in a while, they only had the $200 a panel stuff.

So I went to the New Braunfels store and they had five sheets of the $80 a panel 4'X8' sheets. I was a bit irritated that I found those right as I was finishing up putting the plastic panels on the greenhouse. Had I had 4'X8' panels, instead of the 2'X8' panels, it would have been a lot faster to put the panels up. But oh well, it's done now.

Something I noticed a couple weeks ago, I had probably eight of those plastic greenhouse panels stacked up near where I was working in the back yard. It got cold and then started getting late. So I started picking up all of the tools and materials I had laying around. When I went to pick up those plastic panels, they were noticeably warm. As where everything else laying around was ambient temperature, which was probably in the upper 40s at that point. But those panels were noticeably warm. That was impressive.

So this morning, I was going outside to start putting up the plastic panels on the top rear and hopefully the top front of the greenhouse. I went into the greenhouse about 8:30 this morning, it was probably in the mid 50s outside at the time. When I went into the greenhouse, I would say it was 30 degrees warmer inside. Something else I noticed, is that if you touched any of the wall studs that had sun light shining on them through the plastic panels. The studs would be very warm, almost hot.

Last weekend while I was putting up plastic panels, my wife was inside the greenhouse, with clear silicone, sealing up everything that looked like it could be a air leak. She did a very good job, I was impressed. I had seen many leaks, as I was building the greenhouse, and figured I was probably going to have to point them out to her, but she found them on her own. Then did a very good job of sealing them up.

I removed the ramp going up into the greenhouse, because the greenhouse is on a slope to begin with, then with the sloped ramp, putting a ladder on the ramp was not going to work. I needed to put a ladder where the ramp was, while I was putting up the trusses and the roof. Since both of those are done, I can put the ramp back. Getting the plastic panels on the outside of the greenhouse and getting it sealed up was more important than the ramp at this point.

Also I wanted to put Hardie Plank all the way around the bottom of the greenhouse to completely seal up the bottom. With the ramp off, I was able to do that much easier.

Once I have the plastic on the front upper part of the greenhouse. I will put the ramp back on the front of the greenhouse.

Then after that, I am going to run power out to the greenhouse, put three or four lights up inside. We have a bunch of cheap lights we removed from inside the house, shortly after we moved in. My wife made me replace every light fixture in the house. So I have been using those light fixtures for lighting for the deck and now I am going to put some in the greenhouse. I think I have somewhere between six and eight of those left over.

Then I am also going to install two wall outlets, so we can plug in one or two space heaters for those times, when the sun does not come out for days and it stays in the 20s or colder.

Then other things I am going to do, is find some cheap interior wall paneling, maybe something like the old wood paneling that was common back in the 70s. Whatever, just something cheap and wood. I will put that up on the inside of the greenhouse, to the inside of where the Hardie Plank is. As I put that paneling up, I will put insulation in the walls. I have been thinking of packing some type of insulation up under the floor, to help insulate the inside of the greenhouse from the ground. I don't want anything that will get damaged by water, because she waters her plants inside the greenhouse, part of the reason for the treated wood, decking floor. The water just runs right on through to the ground.

Other things, I will eventually build some shelves, to put plants on. Eventually we will have a large garden. I figure we can get tomatoes and other plants going in the winter, put them on the shelves. I am also going to come up with a way to hang her ivies up, from the trusses. Not exactly sure how I am going to hang those just yet. I will get that done in the next few weeks. I want to get those up off of the floor, the ivies get stepped on and smashed regularly.

Then one of the projects for next summer, will be some form of ventilation. Either some vents, windows or both. Not sure, for now, we just open the doors. I also have to work on finishing the doors. I came up with a latch idea, basically copy the latches used on the back doors of 18 wheeler box trailers. So my wife can get both the top and bottom of the doors latched, without having to get a ladder. I will get that done in the next couple weeks, maybe, by this weekend. I got to get some argon for my TIG and some rod. I am mostly out of aluminum, stainless and mild steel rod. I think I will make the pieces out of stainless, so it does not rust.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:49 PM   #7
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txheartshot View Post
Great work. That thing will
Last forever. My folks just moved to their place outside of Doss, and my dad is going to have to build a green house for all my momís plants. Iím planning on helping when I can, and weíre thinking itíll be about this size. Anything you wouldíve done different? It looks stout as can be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea, get a carpenter who is experienced at framing houses to help. That and research up materials, as far as what's available and how you are supposed to use some of the pieces. The plastic panels I put up, did not come with instructions on how to use them nor did anyone I know of, know anything about attaching them to a greenhouse. I would bet there are forums or websites on building greenhouses, probably even books. I would look for any of those I could find. To get more ideas on what's available and how to put it together.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:25 PM   #8
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

I might have missed it where did you get the corrugated clear plastic roof panels??
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2020, 08:08 AM   #9
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Either Home Depot or Lowes. At one point we were shopping at both places, but since I have mainly been going to Seguin Home Depot. Both carry the panels. You can get them in clear, or various colors of tinted. They also sell plastic or wood pieces cut to the same basic shape as the corrugated panels, that you can put under the panels. Too keep from crushing the panels when you are running screws through the panels. Those pieces also help fill the holes created top and bottom, since the panels are not flat. Another one of those things I figured out on my own, on my many trips to Lowes and Home Depot. I was going to fill the holes at the top and bottom of the panels with spray foam, then on my second or third trip, buying corrugated roofing pieces. I found the wood and the plastic pieces to up under the ends of the corrugated panels. I bought the wood pieces the first time. I already had the plastic panels at the house. I thought the wood would insulate better. Then got home with the wood pieces and found they were not the same shape and the spacing between the high and low points, were different than the plastic panels I bought. Turns out the plastic fillers are made with the correct spacing. They don't completely fill the holes created by the corrugated panels, but they fill most of the holes. My wife finished sealing them up with clear silicone.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:49 AM   #10
ktjones
Eight Point

Hunt In: Centerville

DELETE DELETE DELETE! Please! My Wife CANNOT see this!
ktjones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2020, 10:09 AM   #11
RR 314
Pope & Young

Looks great! Good job!
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2020, 06:50 PM   #12
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

Looks fantastic!
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2020, 10:53 AM   #13
Btutt24
Nubbin' Buck

Looks awesome!!
Btutt24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2020, 11:12 AM   #14
hunt247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Saint Jo

Don't forget air ventilation and a heater.
hunt247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2020, 05:52 PM   #15
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt247 View Post
Don't forget air ventilation and a heater.
Eventually I will put some type of vents in it. For now, we just open the doors during the day, close them in the evening and trap birds inside. Found out this morning, when I went and opened the doors, I closed up a bird inside, yesterday afternoon. A buddy of mine told me they make thermostatically controlled vents for greenhouses. I am going to look for those eventually.

I am planning on insulating is as well as possible, so it takes a small a heater as possible to heat it, preferably no heater, most of the time. I worry about space heaters catching on fire or catching something on fire. It will have electrical outlets for the purpose of plugging in heaters.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:54 AM   #16
WesTex1
Ten Point

In my opinion I would use a couple of heat lamps and that will be plenty of heat but I could be wrong, great job sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
WesTex1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2020, 06:30 PM   #17
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

Nice work.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2020, 12:30 PM   #18
Beardedbuck
Eight Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

That's pretty sweet work for sure!
Beardedbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2020, 08:13 PM   #19
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesTex1 View Post
In my opinion I would use a couple of heat lamps and that will be plenty of heat but I could be wrong, great job sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The plan is to insulate it so it takes very little to heat. Would be great, if we could heat it with heat lamps.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:49 AM   #20
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

I have not had time to do anything with the wife's greenhouse, I started a new project, that I need to finish soon. But I have checked the temps in the greenhouse for the past three days. Three days ago, it was sunny and in the 40s outside, in the greenhouse, it was 74 degrees at 8:45 in the morning, it was sunny that day. Then next day, it was overcast and in the mid 40s again, the temp inside the greenhouse at 9:30, was 59 degrees. Yesterday morning, it was sunny, outside temp was 45 degrees, temp in the greenhouse was 73 degrees. I have not finished sealing up the doors or added then inner paneling to the walls or insulation. So the greenhouse is doing pretty good.

Those temps are with no heater in the greenhouse. The temps in our house have stayed around 68 degrees with the heater on.

Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 01-14-2021 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-15-2021, 06:50 PM   #21
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Default We did an extreme test on the greenhouse

We like the rest of the state, knew this weather was coming. So Friday, I went to Home Depot, looking for a heavy duty extension cord. Then some outdoor power outlet boxes. I found those easily. Then I planned one making a short extension cord, with two male ends. The plan was to plug the extension cord into the house. Then plug it into a short adapter cable, with two male ends. So I could plug it into a 115 V outdoor outlet on the greenhouse.

But I found a male flanged connector in with the extension cord plugs. So I bought that, installed that in the exterior power box. I drilled holes through a wall on the house side of the greenhouse. Then mounted the box, wired it up, then mounted another box on the inside of the greenhouse, and wired it up.

So we have power to the greenhouse, when needed. We put a space heater in there the Friday night. It only got down to about 45 degrees with the space heater. That heater, never has worked very well, you have to have your hands close to it, to tell it's on.

So Saturday night and Sunday we were turning on my propane heater. 20 minutes of running that, heater, would get it up to 75 to 78 degrees in the greenhouse. So we would turn it off and turn the space heater back on.

So for Sunday night we just had the propane heater on, set on low. Then the power went out twice early this morning. With no power, I could not turn the heater back on. Both times the power was out, for about 45 minutes. Both time, when the power came back on, I went, out to turn the heater back on. It was 40 degrees. Late last night till this morning, it was 10 degrees outside.

After the sun came up and the power went back off, around 8:00. I checked the temp in the greenhouse around 8:30, then again around 10:00. The temp, stayed around 55 degrees, inside. While it was 15 to 27 degrees outside. So the greenhouse is doing pretty good. Could be better. The Hardie Plank, is definitely not the best insulator. So I will eventually, put some type of wood paneling on the inside, of the greenhouse walls. That plugs some insulation, in the walls and then getting the doors sealed up a little better. It should do very well, with just a better space heater, in the future.
Old 02-15-2021, 06:56 PM   #22
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Pictures of the big test.

Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 04-06-2021 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:19 AM   #23
80transam
Nubbin' Buck

Thank you for posting this, perfect timing. Wife wants one and I have been looking for solid ideas - good stuff
80transam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 08:00 PM   #24
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

So what I have found, after close to a week of this wonderful weather. Is when the sun is out, even with 15 to 25 degree outside temps. The inside temp is around 75 degrees, that with no heater on. At night, or when it's over cast, with the temps in the 27 to 30 degree range, with no heater on, the temps inside are usually around 39 degrees. With temps in the 27 to 30 degree range, with it over cast or night time. If I turn on the crappy space heater we have, it will get the temps up to 45 degrees inside. That thing does not produce much heat at all, the heating elements don't come close to glowing red, there is no fan. You have to put your hand directly over the heater, to tell it's on, that's after it has been on 20 minutes or longer. We are definitely going to be looking for a better space heater, so we don't burn through some much propane, when we really don't need that much heat anyway.
The propane heater, is a whole different story. It can be 10 degrees outside at night, I can have that propane heater on for 20 minutes and it will get up to 78 degrees inside. That propane heater is BA.
Even with the power getting turned off and back on, and off and then back on, all day and night. My wife's plants all survived this crazy weather.

Once I get the paneling and insulation on the insides of the walls, then seal the doors up better. This thing should keep her plants safe under any conditions we may possibly see.

Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 02-18-2021 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:08 PM   #25
Right_wing
Six Point

I will be starting one soon. Thank you very much for all the time spent detailing the build. it looks really nice!
Right_wing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 08:20 PM   #26
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right_wing View Post
I will be starting one soon. Thank you very much for all the time spent detailing the build. it looks really nice!
Thanks. Once I am completely done with it, is should look very nice and should be easier to deal with her plants.

I plan on making something I can hang all of her ivies with. Something like a round ring, with three or four small chains attached, that I can hang from hooks, screwed into the trusses. Last year, we were walking all over her ivies, when we went in there to check on the plants and to water them. So if I can get those and some of the others off the floor that would give us more room to move around.

Then I plan on putting some shelves along both walls. So we can get tomatoes started or other plants for a garden.

Then I made a cart for her huge pencil cactus, I used the bottom of a 55 gallon drum to hold the huge pot on the cart, since the cart is square and the pot is round. But the 55 gallon drum rotted out, it was partially rusted when I cut it up, so it only lasted about a year. I am going to make a aluminum pan to set that pot in, then put the pan in the cart. That plant is way too heavy and bulky to move, by picking it up. With that cart, we can push it around. I need to get that done, then put the ramp to the greenhouse back on the front, so we can move the heavier plants out, once it warms up.

Once I have all of those things done, I should hopefully be done with it. I hope to be done with it, sometime this summer.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:48 AM   #27
buragozin
Nubbin' Buck

It looks great!
buragozin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top