Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever hog fence an entire property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My friend in Brownwood hog fenced his 300 acres, killed every coyote and hog inside of it years ago. Very rarely finds them on his place now. Maybe 1 hog in 15 years and 3 coyotes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
      My friend in Brownwood hog fenced his 300 acres, killed every coyote and hog inside of it years ago. Very rarely finds them on his place now. Maybe 1 hog in 15 years and 3 coyotes.
      What did he use for the fence?

Comment

Maybe they need to be poisoned. I hate hogs they tear up my property and equipment. What happen to poisoning them *******s

Comment

They have never breached my food plots.
          But it is only 1-2 acres each and wire is stretched tight right on the ground.
          Here in brown co goat fences are keeping them out. Foxes and yotes dig under in spots but not hogs. Floods in the hill country are another issue. They blow out the low water spots.

Comment

We fence most of our turf farms to keep out hogs as much as possible, anywhere from 200 to 1000 acres totally fenced off.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
              Adding a single strand of barb pulled good and tight and tied on solid added to the bottom of standard netwire fence will do wonders, add in some frequent maintainance and you'll be pleasantly surprised how effective a fence can be.

This^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Many have mentioned about having problems in low areas or draws. One other problem we have had in several spots is where a couple of bulls have gotten in a fight through the fence. While the fence ultimately kept the bulls apart, they did enough damage to the net wire where eventually the hogs found this weak spot and started getting through.

This was a well built fence with 5 strands of barb wire with the net wire as well.
                Last edited by wickll; 02-06-2021, 05:05 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Electric fence with a wire down low and another a few inches higher.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyJoe View Post
                    Personally I think it’s a horrible idea and that’s speaking from personal experience. The landowner of my last lease decided to replace a barbwire fence with cattle fence (1600 acres) which inadvertently trapped in all of the hogs already there. You think that eradicating them all is the key, however, it’s **** near impossible to kill every single one and even though it’s fun in the beginning you’ll eventually get tired of chasing them. 3 years later and that place is chocked full of pigs, they’re overrun now and it’s a problem even with the feeder pens in place.
                    I have heard that. But without a fence you have no chance
                    Was the fence 100% secure? One hole would be like a boat.

Comment

I got tired of attracting them with my feeders so I built feeder pens. That helped. I am tired of the destroying my food plots so I am now fencing them using stay tuff and barbed wire. Half of it is exiting fence. I am moving the bottom wire to the ground removing one wire and moving two to the top. I will add the stay tuff in the middle. I am doing a 20 and a 7 acre patch.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyJoe View Post
                        Personally I think it’s a horrible idea and that’s speaking from personal experience. The landowner of my last lease decided to replace a barbwire fence with cattle fence (1600 acres) which inadvertently trapped in all of the hogs already there. You think that eradicating them all is the key, however, it’s **** near impossible to kill every single one and even though it’s fun in the beginning you’ll eventually get tired of chasing them. 3 years later and that place is chocked full of pigs, they’re overrun now and it’s a problem even with the feeder pens in place.
                        Helicopters from after deer season until the the spring bloom. Need to tell them to kill them all or they will leave a few so they can come back next year. Haha

Comment

My FIL used stay tite fence on his place and eliminated his hog problem. Not cheap but effective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X