Boat Experts- Jack Plate, Tilt/ Trim Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat Experts- Jack Plate, Tilt/ Trim Questions

Hey TBH fellas, I have tried searching the interwebz, can not find exactly what I am looking for.

Has anybody added the CMC tilt trim? I am looking to add it, but already running a 6" set back jack plate, if i added the trim I think I would be at almost 10-12" of set back. Not sure if this is doable, as I have never seen it.

Boat is a 17.5x60 Mod V aluminum with a 70 Evinrude, no power trim. It runs fine as is, but I would really like to be able to adjust trim and fine tune the ride and performance a little more.

That should be a jack plate trim combo? At least my buddy's is.. I have 2 manual jps on my duck boat. Total of 11 inches of offset

Comment

You can also use trim tabs to adjust your ride

Comment

I put a CMC power trim on a 16 X 52 flat, but just mounted it to the transom. With that much set back as you are talking about, it will put a serious torque on the transom when you're coming out the hole... With mine (it had a 35 merc), I ultimately had to brace the corners of the transom where they met the side gunwales as I started to get fatigue cracks. The longer the shaft of the motor, the worse the torque will be. You probably should look it over very carefully before using both. Might want to remove the setback and just use the CMC plate alone...

Comment

I would look for a combo unit. That much set back will run great but will trash your transom.

If you do this be sure and use a transom saver while towing.

Comment

I was able to add trim to a Johnny 50 that didnt come with one. The pump etc was mounted on the outside of the transom and a plate with the 2 cylinders bolted to the motor. Added maybe 1 1/4??

Stone in sons in Houston did it. I do not have pics and no longer own the boat. Although I wish i did

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
              That should be a jack plate trim combo? At least my buddy's is.. I have 2 manual jps on my duck boat. Total of 11 inches of offset
              How does it handle? I just started looking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                I would look for a combo unit. That much set back will run great but will trash your transom.

If you do this be sure and use a transom saver while towing.
                I hadn't thought about transom stress. Its pretty beefed up and solid already, i have some friends that could beef it up as needed.

I can't seem to find much on the web, not sure how these boats handle at 10-12" setback. I think I'd definitely get even skinnier though.

Comment

Mine runs fine. No signs of unusual wear thus far. This is a 175 tracker and 48 HP Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
                    How does it handle? I just started looking.

It's a tiller 40 . You have to pay attention when running it.. theres not much motor in the water so it can get squirrely. Its rigged that far back because I dont have a tunnel..

Comment

I have a 1756 G3 with a 50 that ha tilt and trim. I wish it had a jack plate and I might invest in one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                        Mine runs fine. No signs of unusual wear thus far. This is a 175 tracker and 48 HP Johnson.
                        Wow. Thats basically my exact setup if i added the TNT.

I would have figured mpunt the tnt onto the jack plate, not how you did it. Any reason you did it this way?

How high can you run the motor that way?

Comment

It was like this when I bought it. The only advantage I can really think of on this set up is the TNT motor is a bit further away from the outboard and water splashing on it. I think water ends up killing these trim motors most often. I really don't run shallow but I dont think you lose any height adjustment this way.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                            It was like this when I bought it. The only advantage I can really think of on this set up is the TNT motor is a bit further away from the outboard and water splashing on it. I think water ends up killing these trim motors most often. I really don't run shallow but I dont think you lose any height adjustment this way.
                            I run shallow a lot.

Main reason for wanting tilt trim is to help launch shallower, second is fine tune at top speed and get the bow up.

The way I'm set up now i can run 6-8" water, get up in a foot or so. The added setback if i could pull it off would give me even more space to lift the motor maybe another inch or so.

Comment

Manual or hydraulic jack plate?

Comment

Working...
                              X