Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-11-2019, 05:25 PM   #51
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
Who are you talking about? A specific example?
A thread in other side of the ranch where a bunch of self righteous hunters dog piled another member for his 790 yd shot on a doe, when it was far more humane of a kill than most of the accounts I read on here. Radar just so happened to be one of those people.

Last edited by TX03RUBI; 01-11-2019 at 05:30 PM.
TX03RUBI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 05:27 PM   #52
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoffer View Post
Plus backstraps, buck sticks, and dried sausage.

Yessir! The food ain't bad either
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 05:28 PM   #53
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoffer View Post
Plus backstraps, buck sticks, and dried sausage.
I usually end up taking a doe cause I like that stuff too
Old 01-11-2019, 05:28 PM   #54
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
A thread in other side of the ranch where a bunch of self righteous hunters dog piled another member for his 790 yd shot on a doe, when it was far more humane of a mile than most of the accounts I read on here. Radar just so happened to be one of those people.

Gotcha. I didn't see the thread.

IMO if anyone is hunting legally then more power to them.

Last edited by AntlerCollector; 01-11-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:30 PM   #55
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Just like all the butthurt hypocrites over someone being more capable than them

I'm good with cheatersticks.... I don't think your use of the word hypocrites is used correctly in this instance but whatever floats your barrel..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 05:33 PM   #56
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Sounds like the OP needs his opossum massaged
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 05:37 PM   #57
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

Quote:
A thread in other side of the ranch where a bunch of self righteous hunters dog piled another member for his 790 yd shot on a doe, when it was far more humane of a mile than most of the accounts I read on here. Radar just so happened to be one of those people.
Nope, read all my posts again. Did not criticize anyone. I brought up two points, one was about shooting at the doe and the other about how much energy a bullet has at long distance. Never said a bad word about Hoyt21 or the shot.

I do not like the banter about a bow hunter needing a tracking dog, and that seems to be commonplace on here anymore. I cannot for the life of me figure out why needing a tracking dog is a bad thing. It sucks to lose any animal you wound, and to use a dog to increase your odds of finding it cannot be bad thing. You cannot compare rifle hunting to bow hunting it is two totally different methods especially traditional bow. I have lost deer and pigs I have shot with a bow and have made myself sick worrying about it.

There are a lot of good people on here that have tracking dogs and do not charge nearly enough for what is worth when the animal is found.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 05:39 PM   #58
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I'm good with cheatersticks.... I don't think your use of the word hypocrites is used correctly in this instance but whatever floats your barrel..
Someone that chooses a less efficient means of killing because they like a challenge makes fun of someone else who chooses a less efficient means of killing because he likes a challenge. If hypocrite isnít the word please tell me what is?
Old 01-11-2019, 05:43 PM   #59
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Nope, read all my posts again. Did not criticize anyone. I brought up two points, one was about shooting at the doe and the other about how much energy a bullet has at long distance. Never said a bad word about Hoyt21 or the shot.

I do not like the banter about a bow hunter needing a tracking dog, and that seems to be commonplace on here anymore. I cannot for the life of me figure out why needing a tracking dog is a bad thing. It sucks to lose any animal you wound, and to use a dog to increase your odds of finding it cannot be bad thing. You cannot compare rifle hunting to bow hunting it is two totally different methods especially traditional bow. I have lost deer and pigs I have shot with a bow and have made myself sick worrying about it.

There are a lot of good people on here that have tracking dogs and do not charge nearly enough for what is worth when the animal is found.
The only reason Iím comparing them is that they are both less efficient means to kill than what is available. Long distance rifles anyways. I thought I saw you dogpiling him, but I apologize if I was incorrect.

The tracking dog is brought up because he dropped his deer near his shot. No dog needed. But all these ďethicalĒ hunters that dog piled him have their deer run far further than what Hoyt did. My only thoughts on the subject is stay within your means, whether thatís 20 yds or 1000 yds.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:57 PM   #60
crc
Four Point

Quote:
Someone that chooses a less efficient means of killing because they like a challenge makes fun of someone else who chooses a less efficient means of killing because he likes a challenge. If hypocrite isnít the word please tell me what is?
Both a bow and a long range rifle are less efficient compared to what?
crc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 05:57 PM   #61
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I enjoy killing critters is why I started. Now I stump shoot a lot
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 06:08 PM   #62
Radar
Ten Point

I hunt with a rifle as well and have a whole wall full of mounts from rifle hunting. I have had some pretty tough physical hunts toting a rifle and there is a sense of accomplishment and pride when the hunt is over, knowing that at my age I could keep up with my guide.

Use a bow and you can double that feeling, but for me I have to practice every week to keep in shape. I have to work at my form and release all the time, I build my own arrows and tune my bow. I learn things on here on how to improve myself. My dumbazz just ordered another 1000.00 bow, I got to start the process all over again.

I understand why folks are critical about shots that are long distance or off the cuff, as they do not always end up well. And yes the same for bow hunters that never practice.

Reckon I aint never figured out what is wrong with sneaking up on your quarry or being patient and waiting for a shot. I went on a mule deer hunt in Utah back in October, my guide and I walked a long ways to get close to the buck. We were within 350 yards and he said what do you think? I said too far for me, so we snuck in to 220 yards and took the buck. The rifle I was using is a 300WSM custom built by West Texas Ordnance, I have shot groups with it at 800 yards. Its a good gun, but I am a lousy shot.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:22 PM   #63
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalArms View Post
Sounds like the OP needs his opossum massaged

If you're not massaging your opossum, you're not living right.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:24 PM   #64
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Someone that chooses a less efficient means of killing because they like a challenge makes fun of someone else who chooses a less efficient means of killing because he likes a challenge. If hypocrite isn’t the word please tell me what is?

I would suggest that a bowshot in the 60-100 yard shot arena is more comparable in the world of hypocrisy to a 800-1000 yard rifle shot.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:25 PM   #65
Radar
Ten Point

Quote:
Lol
Old 01-11-2019, 06:25 PM   #66
psicoo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardeman County(Quanah, TX), Tom Green County(Eden, TX), Grenada & Fayetteville, MS., Russell, KS.

I like the challenge of getting close and personal!
psicoo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 06:30 PM   #67
Smart
Pope & Young

Default Why do you bowhunt?

Quote:

Peter Possum grinning says "Massage me right here"..

Name:  ****** possum (2).jpg
Views: 78
Size:  140.3 KB
Old 01-11-2019, 06:35 PM   #68
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by crc View Post
Both a bow and a long range rifle are less efficient compared to what?
A rifle at short range. Meaning they are less than optimal. I donít mean to down talk either. Just stating that one shouldnít call the other lesser.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:39 PM   #69
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I would suggest that a bowshot in the 60-100 yard shot arena is more comparable in the world of hypocrisy to a 800-1000 yard rifle shot.
Thatís purely opinion and I can respect that in a respectful conversation. Someone who practices constantly for either is not less prepared than someone who practices for nothing though. My whole point was one shouldnít cast stones when neither are choosing the most effective option.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:40 PM   #70
Radar
Ten Point

Name:  poss1.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  83.3 KB

Thats how to massage a possum
Old 01-11-2019, 06:41 PM   #71
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicoo View Post
I like the challenge of getting close and personal!
I understand that and respect that. If you think being able to take long shot repeatable and effectively is not a challenge then you are mistaken (not saying you think that). Itís just challenging in a whole different manner.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:48 PM   #72
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

#1 for me is I like being set apart from the rest. #2 the challenge.
Aggiehunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 06:49 PM   #73
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I hunt with a rifle as well and have a whole wall full of mounts from rifle hunting. I have had some pretty tough physical hunts toting a rifle and there is a sense of accomplishment and pride when the hunt is over, knowing that at my age I could keep up with my guide.

Use a bow and you can double that feeling, but for me I have to practice every week to keep in shape. I have to work at my form and release all the time, I build my own arrows and tune my bow. I learn things on here on how to improve myself. My dumbazz just ordered another 1000.00 bow, I got to start the process all over again.

I understand why folks are critical about shots that are long distance or off the cuff, as they do not always end up well. And yes the same for bow hunters that never practice.

Reckon I aint never figured out what is wrong with sneaking up on your quarry or being patient and waiting for a shot. I went on a mule deer hunt in Utah back in October, my guide and I walked a long ways to get close to the buck. We were within 350 yards and he said what do you think? I said too far for me, so we snuck in to 220 yards and took the buck. The rifle I was using is a 300WSM custom built by West Texas Ordnance, I have shot groups with it at 800 yards. Its a good gun, but I am a lousy shot.
Thereís nothing wrong with sneaking up on animals, but just as you enjoy some challenges so do others. It just so happens to be that challenges people enjoy donít always align. If you think setting up for a long shot is easy itís not always the case. A lot of stars have to align for that shot to be viable, then even if itís viable you have to make sure youíve put in the legwork to make it count. Itís challenging and rewarding in a whole different way.

Iíve never even shot a deer with a bow. Just hogs, rabbits, and a coon or two (didnít really deer hunt in high school). Hogs were great fun, and I know the thrill can be exhilarating. I guess people just think Iím funny cause deer donít do anything for me unless itís on my plate lol
Old 01-11-2019, 06:51 PM   #74
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

I don't more for us

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 06:53 PM   #75
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
I don't more for us

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I usually work in unison with the deer hunters. I try to keep the pigs out of your way, and you try to keep the deer out of mine
Old 01-11-2019, 07:01 PM   #76
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

Quote:
There’s nothing wrong with sneaking up on animals, but just as you enjoy some challenges so do others. It just so happens to be that challenges people enjoy don’t always align. If you think setting up for a long shot is easy it’s not always the case. A lot of stars have to align for that shot to be viable, then even if it’s viable you have to make sure you’ve put in the legwork to make it count. It’s challenging and rewarding in a whole different way.

I’ve never even shot a deer with a bow. Just hogs, rabbits, and a coon or two (didn’t really deer hunt in high school). Hogs were great fun, and I know the thrill can be exhilarating. I guess people just think I’m funny cause deer don’t do anything for me unless it’s on my plate lol
Not discounting feeders because I do have some and occasionally hunt them.

However, if you take a feeder out of the picture, there would be a lot less bow only guys. I have no doubt. There are lots of people out there who think the same thing about people who bow hunt feeders as the bow only guys think about rifle hunters. Just a vicious circle that really shouldn’t even be there. If it makes someone’s ****** feel bigger, then by all means. Lol

Op, I hunt because I just enjoy hunting. I started bow hunting to lengthen my season and now I just love hearing the thwack in a rib cage.

Last edited by Sleepy; 01-11-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Sleepy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 07:04 PM   #77
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post

However, if you take a feeder out of the picture, there would be a lot less bow only guys. I have no doubt. There are lots of people out there who think the same thing about people who bow hunt feeders as the bow only guys think about rifle hunters. Just a vicious circle that really shouldnít even be there. If it makes someoneís ****** feel bigger, then by all means. Lol

Op, I hunt because I just enjoy hunting. I started bow hunting to lengthen my season and now I just love hearing the thwack in a rib cage.
Good post
Aggiehunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 07:20 PM   #78
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post

However, if you take a feeder out of the picture, there would be a lot less bow only guys. I have no doubt. There are lots of people out there who think the same thing about people who bow hunt feeders as the bow only guys think about rifle hunters. Just a vicious circle that really shouldnít even be there. If it makes someoneís ****** feel bigger, then by all means. Lol

You sir understood my post perfectly. Itís foolish of us to hate on people for using different methods that are trying to accomplish the same goal. Now if the idiot doesnít want to put in the work to make sure itís ethical then by all means letís have at him.

Happy hunting to you!
Old 01-11-2019, 07:22 PM   #79
psicoo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardeman County(Quanah, TX), Tom Green County(Eden, TX), Grenada & Fayetteville, MS., Russell, KS.
Default Why do you bowhunt?

Quote:
I understand that and respect that. If you think being able to take long shot repeatable and effectively is not a challenge then you are mistaken (not saying you think that). Itís just challenging in a whole different manner.

The only challenger is myself. Certainly a long shot is a challenge for many and I don't down play that one iota. I'm relatively proficient at 300yds, however, as for me, I prefer the cat and mouse game so to speak, the challenge of the stealth. That's why I love Bowhunting! I don't Bowhunt exclusively!

Last edited by psicoo; 01-11-2019 at 07:29 PM.
psicoo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 07:31 PM   #80
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NYS, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

Wow a lot of holier than thou...
I bow hunt to get there first, better opportunity with deer population, hunt in better weather, to get close(within 30yds) and see things gun hunters never see. To hear that sound of the broadhead hitting the chest cavity in a low thud, like slapping your buddy on the back or hitting bag of wet leaves.
Knowing that I was able to move my body and arms, in front of that critter in sight, grab my bow, draw it back... in its presence, range it correctly and put the arrow where it needs to go.
That is why I bow hunt.
Pig eradication is another story.
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 08:24 PM   #81
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

It's quiet and good for poaching the big ranches.
brokeno is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 08:49 PM   #82
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

So basically the OP started the thread to complain about a thread in another section?

Gary
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 08:53 PM   #83
Invisible Man
Four Point

My primal urge is to strong to resist!
Invisible Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 08:56 PM   #84
JB_Archery
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Texas, New Mexico & Arizona

I just freakin love it!! 3 years ago I bought a press, started building my arrows and doing all my own bow work... honestly don’t even think about picking up a rifle most of the time. That being said I shot an Auodad at 300 yards with a .308 after chasing him for a day and half with my bow. Still was as happy as a lark! If you follow the laws of TPWD then I’m good with anyway you decide to take game ethically. The more the merrier just make sure you vote to protect the sport!
JB_Archery is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 08:57 PM   #85
Tall Tex
Six Point

Hunt In: Weimar,TX

For me the challenge. Hunt small acreage and the first year shot 2 deer with my .270 at 30 and 25 yards. Took the fun out of hunting after that. Well my brother bought a bow and one day I shot it and found it to be fun so I ended up getting one as well. Not only did hunting become a challenge, but hearing a deer eating corn at 20 yards was amazing. Especially when they have no idea your even there. Also like the idea of coming home after a long day and being able to shoot to blow off steam.
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:07 PM   #86
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
So basically the OP started the thread to complain about a thread in another section?

Gary

Yes......
Old 01-12-2019, 07:47 PM   #87
brianlg31
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pandale

Love having deer so close that you can hear them breath. Having them stare a hole in you, know something isnít right but not being able to figure you out. The challenge of sitting still, not moving while they stare. Yup, just plain exciting!
brianlg31 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 09:54 AM   #88
MisterB
Eight Point

I agree with dustoffer. I love being so close that when your belly growls a deer throws its head up. Started something last year that helps when they come in close like that. I now put a dove decoy in the blind window. The deer look up at it and seem to relax a little, save for an old grey faced doe this year. She looked up at me less than 20 feet from me, and I will swear that the only thing that moved on me was when my gonads drew up. She snorted and ran off. Lol
MisterB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 12:11 PM   #89
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

No choice but bow or muzzle loader
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top