Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-18-2018, 10:59 AM   #2101
Hix
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas- Gregg Co., Cass & Marion Co.

If a little is good a lot is better... at least when referring to corn piles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2018, 06:11 PM   #2102
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelladog View Post
Decided to try some vanilla corn on a narrow trail I cut during the summer. Can see it from the same stand I can see my feeder. Figured they might like that area as itís pretty narrow and really thick all around. Have seen this one a few times at the feeder but not consistent. He seemed to like the vanilla corn a lot. My son passed him yesterday thinking he would come around to the feeder and instead he left when the feeder went off. He was 2nd guessing that decision. So this morning he had a 9 at the feeder that has some age on him also he was getting ready to shoot the 9 and took 1 more look at the corn pile and the 8 was standing in it. He didnít pass him again. This is a great thread with great info thanks everyone for keeping it going. Corn pile and tailgate pic for garguy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah BUDDY!
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2018, 06:19 PM   #2103
ethic1
Eight Point

I seen you posted and my heart got to pumping

ethic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2018, 06:54 PM   #2104
gigem95
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grimes,Montgomery,Waller County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethic1 View Post
I seen you posted and my heart got to pumping

X2!

gigem95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 05:08 PM   #2105
GarGuy
Pope & Young

I posted this story over here written by Southerncamo

Thumbs up Late Season East Texas archery personal best whitetail

Anyone who has followed Garguy’s(Steve’s) running thread “Pressured Deer are Easy to Pattern” knows he is engaged in a multi-year quest for a giant buck called Fiddy. I have been fortunate enough to follow his quest for the past few seasons and one thing I can say is that his pursuit of an absolute giant he calls Fiddy has if nothing else kept a good number of solid mature deer alive as he opts to pass them. Two deer that frequent the location of this multi-year quest is an 11-year-old ancient wide buck he has calls Longbeam https://imgur.com/a/kBomiVs, as well there is a beautiful 5.5-year-old 8pt he named Passer https://imgur.com/a/7udswn8 as in the deer comes in all the time and it’s become a joke because he continues to pass it. I think Steve’s wife and Dad made a single attempt at them but the desire to not shoot anything at the location knowing his giant mature target deer frequents the property inclined him to limit the hunting.

All that said after last week’s rain Steve pulls the cards and was covered up with bucks but no pics of the giant he is after, Fiddy. Understanding that flooding tends to remove his primary target deer from the area I ask if I can take a shot at Longbeam and Steve said to go for it. He was kind enough to meet me out at the property to help me hang a lone wolf tree stand and properly brush in the leaf-bare tree with cane to break up my silhouette, we did this in advance of the next round of rain knowing that after the weather hit the wind would be perfect for the setup. I must say that the twin throw corn pens he has set up with cut down hog panels liken to the setups I used to run in South Texas minus any form of feeder apparatus, he opts instead for throw corn every 3 or 4 days to avoid the stress associated with East Texas feeders that tend to deter mature bucks, especially late season. The defined game trails going to each of these feed spots are telling, he had put out 250lbs of corn three days before and when we show up the ground is devoid of corn, solid hoof prints and the general smell of deer are all that are left in the pens. We put out another 200lbs of corn between the two pens in advance of my hunt. Steve walks me back to the tree, he makes some final recommendations for adding the cover to the late season barren tree then looks back to the woods. The edge of the clearing is a dense mix of shrubs and chinaberry trees, I dare to say better than 4 dozen of these trees show the scars of intense and recent horn rubs, on a scale that literally causes me to wonder if something other than deer were making the rubs. As I look at them questioningly Steve smiles and assures me they are from bucks hooking them, and I focus on what he is telling me. Last minute stand adjustments made he explains the direction deer will likely approach and how the amount of groundwater will likely have them make a broader approach that should lead them straight to me. Having come midday to set the stand and refresh the feed Steve instructs me on how to approach the stand and then we go our separate ways.

Leading up to this hunt it had been a slow year for me, I had spent the pre-season scouting public land and put in several serious hunts in the National Forest but had come up empty handed with the bow. I had in years past killed some incredible deer with a rifle and scores of does and modest bucks with a bow but I had never connected on anything over 120” with a bow much less a mature East Texas buck. Fast forward 24 hours and 6” of rain later and I slip into the stand for an afternoon hunt. Steve shoots me a text says he checked the cards from the day before and both Longbeam and Passer were on camera, he said I was welcome to pursue Passer as well if the opportunity arose. I am settled into the tree by 3 pm, the sky is clear, the moon is still in my opinion too bright, and I mentally prepare for what I believe will be another last light movement of East Texas deer. Not 20 minutes after I am in the stand an enormous boar is on the edge of the feed pen, he roots at some corn, I debate shooting him but I prefer to not risk spoiling hunts by shooting pigs and coyotes when I am otherwise focused on deer. Not long after showing the boar eases over to a power pole and after a little wallowing and rubbing heads on his way. About 30 minutes later another boar appears from my left, swings by the corn pen, then proceeds to spend a solid 10 minutes wallowing in the mud and rubbing on a power pole, I am annoyed but entertained and again opt to not shoot as the boar heads off into the woods. Not 10 minutes later from my front right I catch a glance of a wide buck easing past in the chinaberry trees into dense brush, I immediately move to a standing position and get my bow in my hand. I can vaguely see some movement in the brush but it’s a good 80 yards away and after 10 intense minutes of focused attention nothing materializes so I slowly sit down keeping the bow in hand. No sooner than I sit the buck pops back out but I opt to stay seated. It’s Longbeam the ancient 11-year-old wide buck. He is incredibly deceptive, if you didn’t know who he was you would think you were looking at a skinny late season 2.5 to 3.5-year-old buck, he is pacing back and forth, smelling the air, and hooking trees left and right. Closer observation and the benefit of knowing Steve’s history with the deer the rigidness of his movement betrays his youthful profile. His nose is straight, his back is straight, no potbelly, but he is stiff and his aged front legs form an outward triangular pose as he stands, his eye rings enlarged by time, and ribs outlined by a slack hide, he is an antique especially by East Texas standards and the best part is that it’s almost as if he is oblivious to his age again hooking trees and pacing. About the time I think he is going to work my way he glances back into the woods and I see the glowing orange profile of another deer, one glance and no question it is Passer, he has lost weight from his early season prime but is nonetheless a striking symmetrical buck with a beautiful frame and confident disposition.

The two bucks converge, exchange some form of mysterious acknowledgment, like two friends who don’t require the formality of word or gesture and immediately begin to visually inspect the feed pens. At this point they are side by side and appear to be put off by what I can only assume was the recent presence of the boars. The wind is perfect, straight into my face, and the sun has forgivingly dropped just below the canopy of the large trees that surround me removing me from the blasting light of the clear sky. The two deer spend every bit of 20 minutes pacing left to right, more concerned is Passer the obvious Alpha of the pair, he faints several head drops as if he intends to feed followed by quick alert head lifts to try to flush out any predators or unwelcome parties, all the while the ancient Longbeam has deferred all responsibility and concern and continues to hook trees like a teenager hitting the pull-up bar and eagerly awaiting Passer's approval to move towards the feed. At this point, I decide to shoot a little video on my phone of the pair. https://youtu.be/ToQCOJgvIsA I decide that they are both awesome deer that I would be proud to take and decide the first deer to give me a shot will the one I take but for the moment they are 80 yards away.

After what felt like hours Passer blesses the feed pens, he begins his approach, somehow Longbeam got distracted in his wait and was browsing away on rye as Passer walked through a large puddle of groundwater walking on a beeline straight towards me. In an instant Passer has gone from 80 yards to 60, to 50 to 40 to 30, to 20 to 12 yards…he has entered the danger zone where deer get too close and I am forcing myself to not make eye contact with the buck fearing eye contact would betray my position giving him immediate insight into my DNA level desire to kill him. After a brief pause with him at 10 yards glaring through my position he casually turns toward the feed having satisfied his systematic wind flank and begins walking away. As soon as he turns I begin what I call my steps, my series of actions that I rehearse in mental and physical preparation for the most intense moment of bow hunting, the draw. Pointing my arrow at my target I locked my left arm forming a solid wall with my open left hand seated in the handle of my bow, I lock my eyes on my target elevating my left hand then squeezing my shoulder blades, pulling straight against my locked arm, allowing the peep sight to naturally fall in front of my eye. Using a single pin setup my range setting pre-confirmed I make one last glance at my level on my sight providing the appropriate open hand torque with my left hand to move the bubble to the center, trigger finger at a 90-degree angle to the release trigger just forward of it but not touching it, my steps are complete and the deer is oblivious to what has transpired, he is a dead deer walking in my mind but he is not giving me a shot. In the meantime, Longbeam had become aware of Passer’s approval to approach the feed and quickly covered the ground from the trees through the water towards the feed, he is a solid 12 yards further away but is clearly on a mission to get to the corn, this aggressive action triggers Passer to stop and step out with his front left foot in a brief posture of dominance halting Longbeam and providing me a quartered away shot at 22 yards. I exhale, provide back pressure on my release, and touch off the shot. The shot is true, the arrow enters behind his ribs at a steep forward angle penetrating the diaphragm, lungs, and heart-stopping with just the fletching hanging out, the QAD 100 grain Exodus having just emerged forward of the right shoulder. Immediately passer bolts for the woods showing full faculty but he is strained, he is intensely labored, and at 75 yards I lose sight of him briefly only to watch him collapse motionless. I lift my binoculars and I can make out his beautiful rack among the undergrowth, the eye that I can see is open and glazed he is stone dead.

I hang my bow up and replay the events in my head, I am excited but strangely calm. I am out of my element a bit, I am used to having history with my deer, I am used to watching them for years or aggressively taking them out with a gun because they don’t meet some certain criteria, and I feel a little out of place drawing blood on a friend’s property where I know he has for two years so intensely quested for a giant, I take a deep breath glancing another look at the buck in my binoculars and I block out all that bull****. I allow myself to be excited for having made a good clean shot, I allow myself to enjoy the humility of having a friend who would let me come hunt a deer like that, and I climb out of the stand and put hands on the best archery whitetail of my life. The deer is not a giant but to me, he is a stunning mature East Texas buck with beautiful horns that carry mass like a Midwest deer and a score that will make Pope and Young. I tag the deer, text Steve, and drive toward the Barclay’s in Kennard to celebrate over a home cooked meal with Steve, his wife, Mother, and Father.

Attached Images
Old 12-30-2018, 05:10 PM   #2106
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Last edited by GarGuy; 12-30-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:29 PM   #2107
freezerfiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: jefferson county

What an awesome write up. Congratulations

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
freezerfiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 07:17 PM   #2108
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hix View Post
If a little is good a lot is better... at least when referring to corn piles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And so, we now know the secret to patterning pressured deer 👍👍👍👍🤡
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 07:52 PM   #2109
stickfigure
Ten Point

Hunt In: D'Hanis

Great deer and Great storytelling
stickfigure is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 08:30 PM   #2110
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
And so, we now know the secret to patterning pressured deer
How did your season go, any luck?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Johnny is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 09:33 PM   #2111
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
How did your season go, any luck?

My season has been good. Thanks for asking.
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 10:18 PM   #2112
gigem95
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
I posted this story over here written by Southerncamo

Thumbs up Late Season East Texas archery personal best whitetail

Anyone who has followed Garguyís(Steveís) running thread ďPressured Deer are Easy to PatternĒ knows he is engaged in a multi-year quest for a giant buck called Fiddy. I have been fortunate enough to follow his quest for the past few seasons and one thing I can say is that his pursuit of an absolute giant he calls Fiddy has if nothing else kept a good number of solid mature deer alive as he opts to pass them. Two deer that frequent the location of this multi-year quest is an 11-year-old ancient wide buck he has calls Longbeam https://imgur.com/a/kBomiVs, as well there is a beautiful 5.5-year-old 8pt he named Passer https://imgur.com/a/7udswn8 as in the deer comes in all the time and itís become a joke because he continues to pass it. I think Steveís wife and Dad made a single attempt at them but the desire to not shoot anything at the location knowing his giant mature target deer frequents the property inclined him to limit the hunting.

All that said after last weekís rain Steve pulls the cards and was covered up with bucks but no pics of the giant he is after, Fiddy. Understanding that flooding tends to remove his primary target deer from the area I ask if I can take a shot at Longbeam and Steve said to go for it. He was kind enough to meet me out at the property to help me hang a lone wolf tree stand and properly brush in the leaf-bare tree with cane to break up my silhouette, we did this in advance of the next round of rain knowing that after the weather hit the wind would be perfect for the setup. I must say that the twin throw corn pens he has set up with cut down hog panels liken to the setups I used to run in South Texas minus any form of feeder apparatus, he opts instead for throw corn every 3 or 4 days to avoid the stress associated with East Texas feeders that tend to deter mature bucks, especially late season. The defined game trails going to each of these feed spots are telling, he had put out 250lbs of corn three days before and when we show up the ground is devoid of corn, solid hoof prints and the general smell of deer are all that are left in the pens. We put out another 200lbs of corn between the two pens in advance of my hunt. Steve walks me back to the tree, he makes some final recommendations for adding the cover to the late season barren tree then looks back to the woods. The edge of the clearing is a dense mix of shrubs and chinaberry trees, I dare to say better than 4 dozen of these trees show the scars of intense and recent horn rubs, on a scale that literally causes me to wonder if something other than deer were making the rubs. As I look at them questioningly Steve smiles and assures me they are from bucks hooking them, and I focus on what he is telling me. Last minute stand adjustments made he explains the direction deer will likely approach and how the amount of groundwater will likely have them make a broader approach that should lead them straight to me. Having come midday to set the stand and refresh the feed Steve instructs me on how to approach the stand and then we go our separate ways.

Leading up to this hunt it had been a slow year for me, I had spent the pre-season scouting public land and put in several serious hunts in the National Forest but had come up empty handed with the bow. I had in years past killed some incredible deer with a rifle and scores of does and modest bucks with a bow but I had never connected on anything over 120Ē with a bow much less a mature East Texas buck. Fast forward 24 hours and 6Ē of rain later and I slip into the stand for an afternoon hunt. Steve shoots me a text says he checked the cards from the day before and both Longbeam and Passer were on camera, he said I was welcome to pursue Passer as well if the opportunity arose. I am settled into the tree by 3 pm, the sky is clear, the moon is still in my opinion too bright, and I mentally prepare for what I believe will be another last light movement of East Texas deer. Not 20 minutes after I am in the stand an enormous boar is on the edge of the feed pen, he roots at some corn, I debate shooting him but I prefer to not risk spoiling hunts by shooting pigs and coyotes when I am otherwise focused on deer. Not long after showing the boar eases over to a power pole and after a little wallowing and rubbing heads on his way. About 30 minutes later another boar appears from my left, swings by the corn pen, then proceeds to spend a solid 10 minutes wallowing in the mud and rubbing on a power pole, I am annoyed but entertained and again opt to not shoot as the boar heads off into the woods. Not 10 minutes later from my front right I catch a glance of a wide buck easing past in the chinaberry trees into dense brush, I immediately move to a standing position and get my bow in my hand. I can vaguely see some movement in the brush but itís a good 80 yards away and after 10 intense minutes of focused attention nothing materializes so I slowly sit down keeping the bow in hand. No sooner than I sit the buck pops back out but I opt to stay seated. Itís Longbeam the ancient 11-year-old wide buck. He is incredibly deceptive, if you didnít know who he was you would think you were looking at a skinny late season 2.5 to 3.5-year-old buck, he is pacing back and forth, smelling the air, and hooking trees left and right. Closer observation and the benefit of knowing Steveís history with the deer the rigidness of his movement betrays his youthful profile. His nose is straight, his back is straight, no potbelly, but he is stiff and his aged front legs form an outward triangular pose as he stands, his eye rings enlarged by time, and ribs outlined by a slack hide, he is an antique especially by East Texas standards and the best part is that itís almost as if he is oblivious to his age again hooking trees and pacing. About the time I think he is going to work my way he glances back into the woods and I see the glowing orange profile of another deer, one glance and no question it is Passer, he has lost weight from his early season prime but is nonetheless a striking symmetrical buck with a beautiful frame and confident disposition.

The two bucks converge, exchange some form of mysterious acknowledgment, like two friends who donít require the formality of word or gesture and immediately begin to visually inspect the feed pens. At this point they are side by side and appear to be put off by what I can only assume was the recent presence of the boars. The wind is perfect, straight into my face, and the sun has forgivingly dropped just below the canopy of the large trees that surround me removing me from the blasting light of the clear sky. The two deer spend every bit of 20 minutes pacing left to right, more concerned is Passer the obvious Alpha of the pair, he faints several head drops as if he intends to feed followed by quick alert head lifts to try to flush out any predators or unwelcome parties, all the while the ancient Longbeam has deferred all responsibility and concern and continues to hook trees like a teenager hitting the pull-up bar and eagerly awaiting Passer's approval to move towards the feed. At this point, I decide to shoot a little video on my phone of the pair. https://youtu.be/ToQCOJgvIsA I decide that they are both awesome deer that I would be proud to take and decide the first deer to give me a shot will the one I take but for the moment they are 80 yards away.

After what felt like hours Passer blesses the feed pens, he begins his approach, somehow Longbeam got distracted in his wait and was browsing away on rye as Passer walked through a large puddle of groundwater walking on a beeline straight towards me. In an instant Passer has gone from 80 yards to 60, to 50 to 40 to 30, to 20 to 12 yardsÖhe has entered the danger zone where deer get too close and I am forcing myself to not make eye contact with the buck fearing eye contact would betray my position giving him immediate insight into my DNA level desire to kill him. After a brief pause with him at 10 yards glaring through my position he casually turns toward the feed having satisfied his systematic wind flank and begins walking away. As soon as he turns I begin what I call my steps, my series of actions that I rehearse in mental and physical preparation for the most intense moment of bow hunting, the draw. Pointing my arrow at my target I locked my left arm forming a solid wall with my open left hand seated in the handle of my bow, I lock my eyes on my target elevating my left hand then squeezing my shoulder blades, pulling straight against my locked arm, allowing the peep sight to naturally fall in front of my eye. Using a single pin setup my range setting pre-confirmed I make one last glance at my level on my sight providing the appropriate open hand torque with my left hand to move the bubble to the center, trigger finger at a 90-degree angle to the release trigger just forward of it but not touching it, my steps are complete and the deer is oblivious to what has transpired, he is a dead deer walking in my mind but he is not giving me a shot. In the meantime, Longbeam had become aware of Passerís approval to approach the feed and quickly covered the ground from the trees through the water towards the feed, he is a solid 12 yards further away but is clearly on a mission to get to the corn, this aggressive action triggers Passer to stop and step out with his front left foot in a brief posture of dominance halting Longbeam and providing me a quartered away shot at 22 yards. I exhale, provide back pressure on my release, and touch off the shot. The shot is true, the arrow enters behind his ribs at a steep forward angle penetrating the diaphragm, lungs, and heart-stopping with just the fletching hanging out, the QAD 100 grain Exodus having just emerged forward of the right shoulder. Immediately passer bolts for the woods showing full faculty but he is strained, he is intensely labored, and at 75 yards I lose sight of him briefly only to watch him collapse motionless. I lift my binoculars and I can make out his beautiful rack among the undergrowth, the eye that I can see is open and glazed he is stone dead.

I hang my bow up and replay the events in my head, I am excited but strangely calm. I am out of my element a bit, I am used to having history with my deer, I am used to watching them for years or aggressively taking them out with a gun because they donít meet some certain criteria, and I feel a little out of place drawing blood on a friendís property where I know he has for two years so intensely quested for a giant, I take a deep breath glancing another look at the buck in my binoculars and I block out all that bull****. I allow myself to be excited for having made a good clean shot, I allow myself to enjoy the humility of having a friend who would let me come hunt a deer like that, and I climb out of the stand and put hands on the best archery whitetail of my life. The deer is not a giant but to me, he is a stunning mature East Texas buck with beautiful horns that carry mass like a Midwest deer and a score that will make Pope and Young. I tag the deer, text Steve, and drive toward the Barclayís in Kennard to celebrate over a home cooked meal with Steve, his wife, Mother, and Father.

Attached Images

No pics?

Old 12-31-2018, 04:27 AM   #2113
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem95 View Post
No pics?

Pics are on the original thread
https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=717903
TxDispatcher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2018, 07:34 AM   #2114
Larry
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
And so, we now know the secret to patterning pressured deer

Donít forget the vanilla.
Larry is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2018, 12:19 PM   #2115
gigem95
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDispatcher View Post

Ah ok. Thanks

Old 12-31-2018, 12:30 PM   #2116
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

GarGuy in reading that story do I understand that your hand-corn goes inside a pen? Obviously that would go a long way in keeping pigs out. To have 250 lbs. of corn constantly wiped out by them would **** me off. Plus it'd probably attract every sounder for 50 miles.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2018, 01:49 PM   #2117
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
GarGuy in reading that story do I understand that your hand-corn goes inside a pen? Obviously that would go a long way in keeping pigs out. To have 250 lbs. of corn constantly wiped out by them would **** me off. Plus it'd probably attract every sounder for 50 miles.
Yes. most of my hand corn spots now have a very short pen around them.. i am feeding 500lbs a week in this spot with two pens.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:02 PM   #2118
axisbuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas

Incredible buck and great story and set up..Late season archery hunt on a mature east texas buck probably one of the toughest hunts to be successful. Congratulations.
axisbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2018, 02:32 PM   #2119
GarGuy
Pope & Young

passer
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2018, 02:59 PM   #2120
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes. most of my hand corn spots now have a very short pen around them.. i am feeding 500lbs a week in this spot with two pens.
How many panels would you say you use per pen?
Old 12-31-2018, 04:06 PM   #2121
drslonghorn
Six Point

Hunt In: West Texas

This ^ ?
drslonghorn is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 03:11 PM   #2122
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by drslonghorn View Post
This ^ ?
Im splitting 48 inch panels. Most pens are 16x32 but i have several that are just 16x16 and do just fine.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:28 PM   #2123
gigem95
Ten Point

Quote:
Im splitting 48 inch panels. Most pens are 16x32 but i have several that are just 16x16 and do just fine.

Round pens or rectangular? Forgive my asking but what does a 24Ē high pen do? Keep hogs out?

Old 01-02-2019, 03:37 PM   #2124
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem95 View Post
Round pens or rectangular? Forgive my asking but what does a 24Ē high pen do? Keep hogs out?

Yes it keeps hogs out and i dont have to be very high to shoot over it.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:38 PM   #2125
gigem95
Ten Point

Quote:
Yes it keeps hogs out and i dont have to be very high to shoot over it.

Ah ok. Thanks!

Old 01-10-2019, 09:08 AM   #2126
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie

Fiddy gonna put a whoopin of ya again this year?

Backwoods101 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 09:17 AM   #2127
JeffK
Ten Point

Should be a good evening to get him with the ol' smoke pole if he is still around.
JeffK is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 12:46 PM   #2128
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

I don't know if I missed this or not but has there been any recent sightings or pictures of Fiddy? Is there even a slight possibility that he might already be dead?
Old 01-11-2019, 01:01 PM   #2129
Tshelly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
I don't know if I missed this or not but has there been any recent sightings or pictures of Fiddy? Is there even a slight possibility that he might already be dead?

Back water and flooding has pushed him out. Iím sure GG may have an update but I believe he has been MIA for a while.

Tshelly is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 01:08 PM   #2130
alejandropam
Nubbin' Buck

excellent history
alejandropam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:54 PM   #2131
drslonghorn
Six Point

Hunt In: West Texas

Quote:
Thanks, I appreciate your info and insights.
drslonghorn is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 07:59 AM   #2132
RINCON
Ten Point

Curious what does Fiddy possibly score?

I understand you haven't posted pics...
RINCON is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 12:31 PM   #2133
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Well I have once again destroyed a season by picking specific deer to hunt. i have done this habitually over the years and have looked at a bowl of tag soup in reward several times. I say I will never limit myself to that one deer again, but i often do it anyway.

The crazy amount of flooding cost me Fiddy. I dont know if he is alive or not right now. Kicker3 may well be dead. I had a couple of really close calls with him but didnt get it done before he dropped off the Earth. I hear a rumor that he may have been killed. I will share more if ever confirmed.

Rincon, to answer your question generally, I believe both Fiddy and kicker3 would net Boon and Crockett.

Last edited by GarGuy; 01-12-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:27 PM   #2134
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Brokebrow Down

This year my back has gotten progressively worse. I realized early on that my corn toting was going to be limited. Luckily, I have a couple of strong backed nephews that like to hunt. One of them is Lil David. Yall have seen him grow up on the green screen with kills every year including some pretty nice bucks. Hes now 13 and a stud of a young man. Well I told him I would put him on a wall hanger this year in return for slave labor. He grinned and gladly took the offer.

I worked him all summer and fall and let him pick out a couple of really nice deer to hunt in separate counties. By October, I was hunting my designated giants but made a lot of time to sit with him after his target deer. Lil David had never trophy hunted before and really got a kick out of all the bucks we were passing. Toward the end of bow season though he was getting ready to kill one! We were sitting in a ground blind and a very nice 4 year old I was calling BrokeBrow push a doe through. He was a deer I knew with long beams, 17 inches wide but somewhat short tines. As he left, I could tell David wanted to shoot him and I told him if we saw the deer again he could shoot.

The next weekend was the opener of youth season and we were back in the same stand except he was holding a 280 instead of a cross bow. Just at dusk, 4 does came in and circled around the corn pile. they walked past the blind at 10yds before hitting the corn. David mentioned killing one of them if they were still there at dark. About then, they all looked right at us but I could tell they were looking past the blind.

I looked through a peep hole and here came BrokeBrow through the thick pines at 15yds. I tapped David And somehow communicated that he should get the gun up just as the deer hit the window point blank. The shot cam instantly and Lil David had his first deer of the year.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2019, 01:34 PM   #2135
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Awesome write up as usual. Congrats to the young man!

HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 06:10 PM   #2136
J&M Hamilton10
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freestone

I follow texasbuckregistery on instagram. 152 8 pt killed in Houston county and wondered. Would post but don’t have permission.
J&M Hamilton10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 10:59 PM   #2137
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&M Hamilton10 View Post
I follow texasbuckregistery on instagram. 152 8 pt killed in Houston county and wondered. Would post but donít have permission.

Johnny is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 01:21 AM   #2138
J&M Hamilton10
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freestone

Yep that’s the one, congrats to that girl
J&M Hamilton10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 10:25 AM   #2139
ethic1
Eight Point

Great story Garguy!

ethic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 10:30 AM   #2140
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie

Thanks for sharing bud

Backwoods101 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 10:38 AM   #2141
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Congrats to Little David!

I also saw that posted on TexasBuckRegistry and immediately thought Fiddy.
Patton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #2142
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton View Post

Fortunately not Fiddy! But a heck of a buck!

TildenHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 03:55 PM   #2143
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:

i know the young lady and her father. Great hunters and a stud buck. Nowhere close to Fiddy though.

Ill post more stories later this week.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:14 PM   #2144
zztex
Pope & Young

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TildenHunter View Post
Fortunately not Fiddy! But a heck of a buck!

Quote:
i know the young lady and her father. Great hunters and a stud buck. Nowhere close to Fiddy though.

Ill post more stories later this week.
I have a third hand picture of Fiddy. Fiddy is WAY bigger
zztex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 04:31 PM   #2145
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Glad to hear it!
Patton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 05:00 PM   #2146
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztex View Post
I have a third hand picture of Fiddy. Fiddy is WAY bigger
And has more points

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2019, 04:10 PM   #2147
GarGuy
Pope & Young

LUCKY'S LUCK RAN OUT

Now after Lil David killed that 8pt he really wasnt ready to quit hunting for the year. He cautiously reminded me that I had said I would put him on a trophy this year. I already had a deer in mind in another county.

There is this deer on the same stand with Fiddy that I call "Lucky". Jooger shot an arrow through him in 2015 during a live hunt here on the GS. The shot was high and I had him back in the corn that very night! He had a heck off a scar though and earned the name Lucky because of that. The next two years I saw lucky often but he was down hill from 2015. This year though he bounced back pretty nice at 8.5years old with a 6x5 frame and a split brow.

David saw thousands of pics of him this year and often mentioned how much he would like to hunt Lucky after I killed Fiddy. Well Fiddy had been MIA two weeks and I was seeing Lucky every dang hunt. On Friday evening, I called David and asked if he would like to hunt him the next day. He was pretty excited.

We were set a full hour before daybreak and I could make out the shape of several deer in and out of the feed pens before light. As legal time arrived, Lucky was not there. I was quietly discouraged because he had been in before light and stayed until 30 minutes or so after light, 4 mornings in a row.

Ten more minutes went by and suddenly a deer jumped a brushy fence row to my left with no warning. I quickly advised David that it was Lucky. He got the gun up quick as the deer stormed in to 40 yards before turning 180 and walking back the way he came. The buck quartered a little left and I was about to say , "Shoot when he gives you enough". I never got to say it as the 280 boomed and Lucky was plowing ground on his chest a few yards and fell dead.

We were at What-a-Burger eating breakfast by 7am while Ol Lucky drew a crowd on the tailgate out front.
Attached Images

Last edited by GarGuy; 01-16-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:41 PM   #2148
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Steve, you need to do a write up on the bobcat story that was killed with your bb gun!!

Sure sorry you didn't get a chance at Fiddy or K13, but if they show up next year, they should be awesome!! Even if Fiddy goes downhill, he'll still likely be a whopper! Our southern Liberty county property on the river was a total washout this year (and still is!). One doe taken off the property between opening of bow season and now! I'm hoping that just like happened a few years back, when the river stayed so high for so long, the deer came back before the hogs did and we had a good season that year... Also lots of underbrush was GONE!! I guess flooding does have some advantages to the woods though not very many...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2019, 05:33 PM   #2149
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Steve, you need to do a write up on the bobcat story that was killed with your bb gun!!

Sure sorry you didn't get a chance at Fiddy or K13, but if they show up next year, they should be awesome!! Even if Fiddy goes downhill, he'll still likely be a whopper! Our southern Liberty county property on the river was a total washout this year (and still is!). One doe taken off the property between opening of bow season and now! I'm hoping that just like happened a few years back, when the river stayed so high for so long, the deer came back before the hogs did and we had a good season that year... Also lots of underbrush was GONE!! I guess flooding does have some advantages to the woods though not very many...
Every time I cross the river at 787 on my way to the lease, I think about you and wince when I see it still rolling. I sure hope next year the rains let up for while before season starts and allow you to get into the woods
TxDispatcher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top