OK to refreeze venison?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK to refreeze venison?

How frowned upon is it to freeze venison, then thaw it out later for processing, then freeze it again? I have a deer in the cooler right now that will be ground and packaged but my schedule may only allow for cubing it right now, to be ground later on when I can get some help. Just curious what you all's opinion is.

No issue what so ever.

Comment

I process roasts/bs before I freeze them. But I put trimmings in 2 gallon bags and freeze them til end of season them I thaw and make burger and sausage all at once and refreeze. I don't have any issues with it. not sure how others feel

Comment

The topic of refreezing meat is one that hunters discuss often. Most experts in the culinary industry strongly advise against this practice, but sometimes things happen that are out of our control. This leaves many to wonder if it’s safe to refreeze meat, or if this damages the quality so much that...

Comment

I've done it before with no noticeable effects

Comment

I've done it plenty without ever noticing anything.

Comment

non issue

Comment

It'll ruin it, give it to me and I'll take care of it so you don't waste it!

Comment

I always freeze it, slightly thaw it, grind it, and the refreeze.

Comment

ive done it as well.. I don't notice anything

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                      It'll ruin it, give it to me and I'll take care of it so you don't waste it!
                      Put me next in line, if deal falls through.😂
                      Several people I know do it, and I've never heard them complain.

Comment

I do it every year with no issues. I don't thaw it completely though for grinding because it grinds better partially frozen.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                          I do it every year with no issues. I don't thaw it completely though for grinding because it grinds better partially frozen.
                          You probably aren't talking about when making sausage, but in my experience, meat that cold is a lot harder to run through the stuffer.

But ya, have done the freeze-refreeze for years..no issue. I would guess home processors have to do that 95% of the time.

Comment

Thankyou very much everybody, looks like I'll be cubing it up Wednesday then grinding it up later on. TBH comes through once again.

Comment

I have three deer worth of boned out bulk meat in the freezer currently. I'll thaw it out once I decide what to do with it all.

Comment

Working...
                              X