School me on Tractor grapples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on Tractor grapples

We have a 7040 Kubota with a front end loader. It has been a work horse for our family. My wife and I recently purchased about 12 acres outside of La Grange. Roughly 90% of the place is covered with trees and brush (yaupon) . As you can imagine, I've got quite a bit of work ahead of me to clean the place up and keep it clean. I've heard the praises sung about grapples and really starting to consider the investment. My main focus is gradual brush clearing. Is this a good way to go? Obviously, I could go with the old school chainsaw and/or remedy/diesel methods as well.

When considering a grapple, what should I be looking out for? What do you guys currently run? Any regrets or unit you wish you had instead?

Thanks!

They are great for picking up brush already cut, but not really good at clearing brush still rooted in the ground.

Comment

Depending on the soil they can be very useful. Our farm is really sandy so we use a grapple on a cat skid steer and have had great success in removing underbrush. On harder ground I could see where it could be a little more difficult

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get one with two claws. Single claw is more cumbersome for "uneven" loads (i.e. clamping the root-ball and of a tree and the trunk end flops around.)

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
          Depending on the soil they can be very useful. Our farm is really sandy so we use a grapple on a cat skid steer and have had great success in removing underbrush. On harder ground I could see where it could be a little more difficult

This! Even if you can't grapple the brush out, they are a god send for picking up cut brush. Believe me, I know!! LOL! Best tractor accessory you can have.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post

We have sandy soil on top so it might work to a degree.

Originally posted by Philip-TX View Post
            Get one with two claws. Single claw is more cumbersome for "uneven" loads (i.e. clamping the root-ball and of a tree and the trunk end flops around.)
            I've read this as well.

Comment

Does the tractor have a third function valve installed already? If not you can run one off the rear remotes if it has one installed. Armstrong ag makes a good grapple, landpride does also.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech38 View Post
                Does the tractor have a third function valve installed already? If not you can run one off the rear remotes if it has one installed. Armstrong ag makes a good grapple, landpride does also.
                Im also interested for a creek bottom that's over grown and this is the info I was wondering about.

Would the current set up work or would I have to add something to what Ive got? Right now the FEL just has normal controls. Tractor is a Deere. I don't believe we have remotes on the rear (just standard 3 point) but I want to say there is 2 lines just under the right step that are capped/plugged and maybe red and yellow

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                  Im also interested for a creek bottom that's over grown and this is the info I was wondering about.

Would the current set up work or would I have to add something to what Ive got? Right now the FEL just has normal controls. Tractor is a Deere. I don't believe we have remotes on the rear (just standard 3 point) but I want to say there is 2 lines just under the right step that are capped/plugged and maybe red and yellow
                  You have to plug it into the hydraulics. If you have an extra remote on your loader you can plug it in there and that one usually works off a toggle switch on your FEL joystick. If you don't have that you would need to run the hydraulics to your rear remote.which is fine but you will have to use two seperate levers to operate.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                    You have to plug it into the hydraulics. If you have an extra remote on your loader you can plug it in there and that one usually works off a toggle switch on your FEL joystick. If you don't have that you would need to run the hydraulics to your rear remote.which is fine but you will have to use two seperate levers to operate.
                    that's what I was afraid of. Only one lever for front end loader that has no toggle.

thanks

Comment

ITs the cats meow... Had to run my hydraulics underneath to my rear remotes but its the best implement I have. I have some pretty clay soil and if you are patient and work it right I can get mesquite out of the ground but nothing over about 4 foot tall, larger trees no go. It also picks out whole cactus patches pretty easy.

Comment

We have an Armstrong Ag, and the welds are terrible. We've broken several, and there was hardly any penetration.

It's been a dang good piece of equipment though. Works allot better on a skid steer than a tractor for sure.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

dd

I am lucky. We have a grapple and a tree puller. Cleared 38 acres of black locust with them, last spring. If the soil is not dried out, I could pull 5" trees pretty easy. I don't use the grapple to pull trees, but use it to stack them up.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Watch Peanut try tear one up. I think these are the best on the market. Lots of youtube video and reviews.

Comment

The WR Long 3rd function valve kit is the way to go with a grapple. Its easy to install and works great.

Comment

Working...
                              X