Dead deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead deer

Does a dead deer in the area, for instance one that you shot but couldn't find at the time, scare the other deer away? I shot a small doe earlier in the season on a drizzly morning and never could find her. I stumbled across her about 80 yards or so from where I hunt. Coyotes got to her but the reason I ask is because I feel like after I shot her the deer activity really dropped for a period of time. Maybe complete coincidence but wanted to hear y'alls opinion

Thanks in advance

I dont think so at all.
    You walking around thru the brush looking for her prob did more than the dead deer imo.

Comment

It's possible that the coyote activity spooked the deer out of the area. But as far as just the presence of a dead deer in the area spooking the other deer out of the area - I doubt it.

Comment

Nope
        I have seen no evidence of it hurting. Now, I believe a dead dog close by might.

Comment

No

Comment

The deer carcass itself laying in the woods will not have any effect on deer movement. You walking around in the woods and yotes being in the area could/would have had a negative effect on the deer movement.

Comment

For what it's worth, I had a little buck die in the pen next to a feeder. Trail camera pictures showed that the deer kept coming to the feeder regardless.

Comment

They don’t care.

Comment

Nope.

Comment

I guess that answers my question! Funny how they can be so smart and so dumb at the same time! Thanks y'all

Comment

No. I've watched bucks try to breed dead Doe before. I've killed bucks standing over a day old gut pile.

Comment

Nope. Ive shot does that hit the ground where they stood, only to have deer come back and eat the corn around their dead buddy.

Comment

I shot a hot doe once and I had to finally run the buck that was on her off with a suburban because he was so defensive I couldn't get near her. Massive buck. It was my buddy's ranch and I didn't have permission to shoot bucks.

Comment

Nah deer die all the time and other deer just keep going about their business.

The yotes an you in the woods ran them off temporarily.

Comment

Killed deer yes, harvested deer no. (;

Comment

Working...
                              X