Wyoming elk draw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wyoming elk draw

Just a heads up, tentative season info should be up on Dec 17 online for Wyoming NR elk.
    The application deadline is still Jan 31 but drawing isn't until early June.
    Last day for changes to your application is in May.
    With the change might open up some elk odds if some opt out due to the late draw date.
    While winter doesn't usually affect the elk herds much, we are supposed to have a good one this year- lots of snow and cold.

We have some great General elk areas well worth hunting with lower PP totals and big bulls can be found all over the state not just over in grizz country.

Thanks for the heads up, need to get a plan together for me and the two boys up there and didn't realize the deadlines were so close!

Comment

Sounds like the Draw system can be confusing in Wyoming. 2020 will be my first year hunting up there. Going with an Outfitter and they are supposed to handle my licenses. Whitetail this go around then Elk next time.

Comment

I'm going to concentrate on Pronghorn and Mule deer this year. If my son doesn't go for pronghorn I'll have 10 points. Kind of in no man's land. Not enough for the red desert but too much for everywhere else. I'll never catch the red desert crowd so I think I'll just burn them on a decent unit. I'll put in for a cow elk license as well. I don't have elk points in Wy but I have 4 in Co that I may use next year. Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking the deadline would move to May as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
          Sounds like the Draw system can be confusing in Wyoming. 2020 will be my first year hunting up there. Going with an Outfitter and they are supposed to handle my licenses. Whitetail this go around then Elk next time.
          It's not really once you get the hang of it. If you have kids that you think will hunt, buy them preference points every year. Wy Pronghorn PP for youth is $10.

Arizona is another place to start buying youth PP. License is only $5 for youth and PP are reduced for NR youth if I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
            I'm going to concentrate on Pronghorn and Mule deer this year. If my son doesn't go for pronghorn I'll have 10 points. Kind of in no man's land. Not enough for the red desert but too much for everywhere else. I'll never catch the red desert crowd so I think I'll just burn them on a decent unit. I'll put in for a cow elk license as well. I don't have elk points in Wy but I have 4 in Co that I may use next year. Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking the deadline would move to May as well.
            With 10 PP you have a good chance at a desert tag in an area we've hunted, NE of Rock Springs.
            Don't go for the Area 6 cow license, mostly private and no access.

Comment

Thank you for the heads up.

Comment

I’ll be putting my application in for the first time. Thanks for the heads up

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                  With 10 PP you have a good chance at a desert tag in an area we've hunted, NE of Rock Springs.
                  Don't go for the Area 6 cow license, mostly private and no access.
                  I assume that is the town and not the river. I will look at that unit. Thanks

Comment

Wytex- so the drawing is definitely going to be in June?
                    I read that they might change it because the drawing was happening before the biologists finished their reports

Comment

Yes, Jan. 31 is the application deadline and you'll have until May to change or withdraw your application, then the drawing will be end of May or early June.
                      The outfitters association wanted to keep the application deadline in January but state wants the drawing after they set the seasons based on the biologist counts and recommendations.
                      Kind of screwy but WOGA got their way on the Jan. deadline.

WG&F has told me the 2020 application "book" will be posted online about Dec. 17. All the application changes will be posted then.

Comment

I have 13 PP for elk any recommendations?

Comment

Working...
                        X