Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woodsman, You're good! Things happen. I wounded a buck, didn't recover. And guess what, I would have let another arrow fly if I could have. Hagerman have told me that if I didn't recover my buck, try for another one. I've been hunting Hag for a long time, decades. No deer decline that I have seen, and their spot light survey conveys this. They even said it at the pre-hunt meeting. Oh, and my shot was almost broadside, a little back. and for the people that were mad that I was giving out places to look for the deer I stuck, get over it. I been on every piece of units there, and so has everyone else. I will still give out information on what I know about the place, and give my stand locations to a few on here. It's a public hunt, it's not your lease. I see the cooler for some people, not giving anything to this thread but grief. GO START YOUR OWN THREAD about your grievances.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsman View Post
      Does this help

No. Sorry it doesn’t. I don’t see anything related to dodging or researching in those post. Hope you get the deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Any other scenario and the majority of this forum would disapprove of a frontal shot, but for some reason it’s ok and defendable because it was a hagerman live hunt. But hey, 60% of the time it works every time...

Comment

Originally posted by woodsman View Post
          Tex I followed the law to recover the deer, and IMO, did more, and I tried to get a dog on the place. That allows me to continue hunting. Gave up my evening hunt of course, on a 3 day hunt. I cannot and would not tag a second deer deer. And GW would high five me on killing a deer the next day. The landowner told me, “Go shoot another one tomorrow man! I hope you get a biggun!” Now he’s not the one that authorized me to resume hunting for a buck, but that speaks volumes about his attitude as a fellow hunter, and his understanding that animals die everyday be it natural or hunter-induced and that this is just part of hunting. I think we could all looosen up and support one another better, like this landowner did, who also told me he knows which buck I shot since he has pics. (Note: I didn’t ask to see them as he’s an older gentleman and he left his phone at the house. I was just grateful he helped me look)

I support you brother. Hope you get the deer.

Comment

Let it go. I would have knocked another arrow. He did his due diligence to recover.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneSouth View Post
              Any other scenario and the majority of this forum would disapprove of a frontal shot, but for some reason it’s ok and defendable because it was a hagerman live hunt. But hey, 60% of the time it works every time...
              Nope. Been many deer reported killed with a frontal shot on this forum and nothing but congratulations offered to the OP when the deer was recovered. Like it or dislike it, your business. I’ll let you find the posts and run them in the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                I support you brother. Hope you get the deer.

Thanks Tex. I appreciate that

Comment

My fourth time on the Hag. Sat daylight till dark in BM all three days. Big boys were definitely on there feet still looking for does. It’s a hard hunt without bait~ it ain’t Hollywood. But man when you get close to a Booner there is no better feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                    Been on plenty bud and i would agree IF IT WAS ON A LEASE WHERE RULES STATED IT. We had one of our members have to burn a tag on a non recovered buck to start the season so your Assumptions are just that.

this is public land and he is breaking no rules as GG stated.
                    If you've been on "plenty" then you've either left or not been asked back on them.
                    I have no issue with him keeping hunting. I probably would've as well.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                      Not a trophy lease where he is bound by lease contracts. This is a three day public land draw hunt. He is only bound by the rules of the specific hunt and the laws of the state. A lease that requires a tag to be burned us questionable. I can see a rule that no other buck can be shot but burn a tag? Do you require them to fill out the log on their lic? If a tag is removed this must be done. The tag is for the carcass. There is no legal reason to burn a tag with no carcass recovered.

Woodsnan did nothing in violation of those rules.
                      No you've just shot the only "trophy" buck you're allowed. He did okay in my book. My comment was just regarding the post stating he'd never seen so much BS that it generated. There is always drama on a trophy lease about wounded or age. It's understandable when you pay that much to hunt one. Public land all bets are off.
                      His shot was questionable but his decision to keep hunting very understandable.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                        No you've just shot the only "trophy" buck you're allowed. He did okay in my book. My comment was just regarding the post stating he'd never seen so much BS that it generated. There is always drama on a trophy lease about wounded or age. It's understandable when you pay that much to hunt one. Public land all bets are off.
                        His shot was questionable but his decision to keep hunting very understandable.

Gary
                        thanks for clarification. We are on the same page.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                          Woodsman. to followup on earlier today. I'm going to be bashed, I'm good with it, I'm a big boy, and I have thick skin.

I suppose you have taken a TPWD/IBEP BH Ed course, we explicitly mentioned do not take a frontal shot, it isn't a lethal shot with a bow, yet you chose too, and you lost a deer. Some will contradict, as usual, "I shot one head-on", yes it happens.

A mistake I can deal with, going against a pretty good recommendation, I cannot. You robbed someone else of that deer, because you "thought". Flame away.
                          Everyone who has hunted H this year has taken the BH Ed course, and a lot of really nice bucks where wounded and not recovered this year. Probably more than any other year that I can remember. I think everyone needs to settle down, and get away from the "do whatever it takes to get one" mentality. We're seeing a lot of guys taking questionable shot's. I heard plenty on this forum this year, from shooting through brush, taking long shots at deer that are quartering hard, to shooting them in the base of the neck. I don't see how anyone can wound a big buck, look for it for a few hours, and then get back out there and try and shoot another one literally within hours in some cases. Some of you guys need to get back to basics, and just be more ethical.
                          Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 12-09-2019, 10:50 AM.

Comment

wow. picked up from where i left off after seeing Dons buck and saw 500+ responses figured i was gonna see endless pics of Hag beasts. Congrats to any and all who were able to get on deer. very unfortunate about the unrecovered buck but hey things happen right. Woodsman i know that lost buck will haunt your dreams for many more nights to come. you were thrown between one of the biggest rocks and hard places i have ever seen.

Comment

Working...
                            X