How long for corn to sour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long for corn to sour?

I am trying to sour corn for the first time for a hog hunt coming up and it just doesn't seem to be getting "ripe"

I mixed a 40 lb bag of corn with water, jello and yeast about 5 days ago and still no bad smell I keep reading about or bubbles in the water.

I have a second batch going as well that used beer in the same mixture with no difference.

How much longer should this take? Should I not bring it to the field until it's sour? Will it not be as effective if I use it as is?

Make sure it’s sitting out in the sun. It takes longer to turn with cooler temps.

I used to sour corn and go that route. Now I’ve found now that regular corn does just as good. Good luck on your hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If the pigs at your location aren't use to soured corn it could put them off.

Gary

Comment

Temperature is going to be the biggest part of it. Enzymes and Microbes that cause fermentation go dormant in colder temps.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post

Gary
          Good advice

Comment

I mixed 50# corn, 50# sugar, gallon of milk, random beer from shop fridge, 2 large containers of koolaide mix and topped it of with water. Stirred for a week or so but it was warm out. It made a sweet whiskey smelling thick concoction that the pigs loved. Caught pigs first night baiting with it.
            It never really got sour.. just thick and sticky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post

Gary
              Well that sucks. Never heard that before.....

Some of the other guys use hog wild or other stuff bought from academy but seems to be hit or miss.

Comment

Are you using it in a trap? If not just use regular corn with or without and attraction additive mixed in.

Imo- there's two myths about baiting hogs and that's soured corn and diesel. Both of these items, IMO, serve to keep deer out of traps.

Once hogs learn of corn they'll eat it regardless. I've actually seen them pass soured corn for fresh from the bag at bait sites.

Some will say that the aroma of soured corn will attract them from a greater distance and I believe there's some truth in that. With the many different additives we have for corn that's not an issue.

Again, just my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hix View Post
                  I mixed 50# corn, 50# sugar, gallon of milk, random beer from shop fridge, 2 large containers of koolaide mix and topped it of with water. Stirred for a week or so but it was warm out. It made a sweet whiskey smelling thick concoction that the pigs loved. Caught pigs first night baiting with it.
                  It never really got sour.. just thick and sticky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  This is the Paula Dean recipe! 50# of sugar? Ha, I bet it was syrupy!

Comment

Here's a little hog 101

If you want to try sour corn just grab I cheap nasty 40
                    40#s of corn and water to cover corn, put the lid on and let it baste in the sun for a couple days.

Best way to kill a hog during the day light hours is to find a natural food and fresh sign in or near thick cover .
                    Watch it from down wind and listen to really well.
                    When you hear hogs go after them quickly but keep cover between you and them

Comment

Why would you keep cover? Not like they can see worth a lick. Unless you're trying to spear them you should have zero trouble getting within 50yds

Comment

The objective of souring corn is to make it less attractive for non-target species. Hogs will go for it either way.

Comment

Originally posted by trash2 View Post
                          Why would you keep cover? Not like they can see worth a lick. Unless you're trying to spear them you should have zero trouble getting within 50yds
                          I like to get right up in the Sounders.
                          Especially if I am bow hunting or using an autoloader with buck shot

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo6 View Post
                            Well that sucks. Never heard that before.....

Some of the other guys use hog wild or other stuff bought from academy but seems to be hit or miss.
                            You should never put out a bait your going to hunt right away(next day or two) that is not normal to the area. If you put out sour corn and the pigs are not used to it, it will have a greater chance of spooking them then attracting them. I personally would go with straight corn.

Comment

i just put out fresh corn, dump powder kool-aid(cherry) and pour a 3 liter bottle of big red on top, pigs always come a running

Comment

Working...
                              X