TPC Butadiene leak!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TPC Butadiene leak!

Due to high levels of butadiene a Shelter in place issued, school canceled tomorrow. I was cutting up deer when I found out, loaded up Weston and we out! This is getting ridiculous! The house we moved to after our house flooded is right at 1 mile away maybe closer as the crow flies. We are safe at my mom’s in Nederland.

School canceled rest of week out of precaution.

Comment

That bites

Comment

You ain't lying. Wife and baby headed back over here to our house in Mont Belvieu. With windows and door still plywooded up there isnt going to be a shelter in place going on there.

The wind was ok at the time of the shelter in place but was supposed to start blowing right to our house later tonight.

Guess we can add more money into those evacuation checks they are supposed to cut us on Friday. Their guy still hasn't came by the house to assess the damage yet.

Hope they get this B.S. under control.

Comment

It is very frustrating. I am lucky to be a few miles away but lots of my employees affected and killing my business. I really feeel for the local mom and pop places. I am starting to not like living here...Hurricane, 4 day power outage, flood and now this all in 7 years. Glad I didn’t grow up here or I would probably be outta here.

Comment

Originally posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
            It is very frustrating. I am lucky to be a few miles away but lots of my employees affected and killing my business. I really feeel for the local mom and pop places. I am starting to not like living here...Hurricane, 4 day power outage, flood and now this all in 7 years. Glad I didn’t grow up here or I would probably be outta here.
            Yep flooded twice in 2 years, now this at the house i moved to temporally, my neighbor had been there 35 years and never flooded till Harvey. We are looking to move North a bit.

Comment

FYI last i heard shelter in place still in effect. Glad i got wife and kids out last night i had to go back this morning and get my works boots, smell was not the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurdawg View Post
                Yep flooded twice in 2 years, now this at the house i moved to temporally, my neighbor had been there 35 years and never flooded till Harvey. We are looking to move North a bit.
                A lot of us having those same thoughts.

Comment

Property values will take a huge hit over all of this garbage..

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                    Property values will take a huge hit over all of this garbage..
                    They are grossly over inflated anyway, that area is uninhabitable
                    So they placed chemical plants there, then idiots wanted the land nearby
                    It is naturally prone to major weather problems and also man made problems, thusly grossly over priced

You buy in a swamp and toxic waste center , violin music shouldn’t be played every time something happened

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                      They are grossly over inflated anyway, that area is uninhabitable
                      So they placed chemical plants there, then idiots wanted the land nearby
                      It is naturally prone to major weather problems and also man made problems, thusly grossly over priced

You buy in a swamp and toxic waste center , violin music shouldn’t be played every time something happened
                      Even with all that said.... It is the company's responsibility to keep that crap inside their fence line. And, some of the damage done was miles away. From cradle to grave it is theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                        Even with all that said.... It is the company's responsibility to keep that crap inside their fence line. And, some of the damage done was miles away. From cradle to grave it is theirs.
                        That’s highly debatable ( containment) what is a safe zone and who should assume such inherent risks

Quote from the paper

“” Residents who live near sprawling oil and chemical complexes in parts of southeast and east Texas grow as accustomed to fires and false alarms as Oklahomans do to tornadoes and as Californians do to earthquakes. Jefferson County alone is home to four refineries and 32 chemical plants, and the history of the wider region can be told in some ways through explosions. The worst industrial accident in American history unfolded 100 miles west of Port Neches: On April 16, 1947, hundreds of people were killed in Texas City after a blast on a ship carrying ammonium nitrate set off huge fires.

“That thought sits in the back of your mind because there are refineries everywhere,” Ashlyn McDaniel, 23, an insurance agent who grew up in Port Neches, said from her apartment in Nederland, where she was defying an evacuation order.

“We’ve all thought, ‘What if one of these things goes up in flames one day?’” she said. “But we never really imagined it would happen.”
                        Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 12-05-2019, 10:42 AM.

Comment

That’s highly debatable ( containment) what is a safe zone and who should assume such inherent risks

Quote from the paper

“” Residents who live near sprawling oil and chemical complexes in parts of southeast and east Texas grow as accustomed to fires and false alarms as Oklahomans do to tornadoes and as Californians do to earthquakes. Jefferson County alone is home to four refineries and 32 chemical plants, and the history of the wider region can be told in some ways through explosions. The worst industrial accident in American history unfolded 100 miles west of Port Neches: On April 16, 1947, hundreds of people were killed in Texas City after a blast on a ship carrying ammonium nitrate set off huge fires.

“That thought sits in the back of your mind because there are refineries everywhere,” Ashlyn McDaniel, 23, an insurance agent who grew up in Port Neches, said from her apartment in Nederland, where she was defying an evacuation order.

“We’ve all thought, ‘What if one of these things goes up in flames one day?’” she said. “But we never really imagined it would happen.”

So your saying its not the company's responsibility to contain their products and pollution?

Comment

Quote from the paper

Maybe if she knew more about crude butadiene and what it can do to you she would have gotten her 23 year old *** out of there. People working around it "and I have many times" wear respiratory protection. There are houses within 100 yards of the refinery that I work at. And, it is one of the top 3-4 largest refineries in the United States. Anything that happens and crosses the fence is the responsibility of the company. Not the people or businesses in the area. Many times the homes were there before the business's, expansions, or facilities were built. Also, these facilities are responsible for making sure nothing makes it into the soil or water that could cause harm. Companies choose to make hazardous products. They also make a choice to do it in a safe manner or be held responsible for the consequences if they don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
                              So your saying its not the company's responsibility to contain their products and pollution?
                              They are absolutely responsible. Accidents happen. Nobody was killed so it could have been much worse.

Comment

Working...
                              X