Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are so many people accidentally putting DEF in their pickup fuel tanks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are so many people accidentally putting DEF in their pickup fuel tanks?

The openings are clearly labeled. Are people just so distracted and in a constant blur that they no longer read or see the obvious? Is everyone on drugs of some sort or what?

Probably on their **** phones.

Comment

Buddy did it after getting no sleep and going to be by his moms side as she passed away. It happens. 30 years of muscle memory picking up handle and instinctively putting it in the fuel tank. 2 gallons of def into fuel tank before he realized it. He shut pump off went to get in truck and kill it and the engine died. Truck was a 14 dodge along with the small amount of hail damage considered totaled.
      Last edited by doublearrow; 12-05-2019, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Probably distracted by some gasser taking THEIR pump!

Comment

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
          Lol

I have to get fuel at truck stops or large gas stations, I see some crazy stuff some times.

Comment

I have a skid steer at work with diesel in the def tank, looking at around 10-15 grand to fix it. Not sure how they did it because the opening is a lot smaller then the fuel opening

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech38 View Post
              I have a skid steer at work with diesel in the def tank, looking at around 10-15 grand to fix it. Not sure how they did it because the opening is a lot smaller then the fuel opening
              They used a fuel can to put in the DEF tank.

One would think that the design engineers of trucks and equipment would figure out to have the DEF tank as far away as possible from the fuel tank.

Comment

I have nothing to contribute to the OP post. But here's a similar story from my younger days.

Years and years ago I went home to visit and I was out with some friends, they was getting their drunk on so I was the designated driver. Which in itself was a challenge, I didn't know my way around. Hadn't been home in years.

Anyways we needed gas, my car ran leaded his ran unleaded. Anyways I couldn't figure out why the pump nozzle wouldn't fit in there tank. I filled it anyways, took a bit to fill.

Comment

My father in law filled his Dodge Cummins up with 25 gallons of gas a few months back.... He's been driving diesels for 40 years. He said he got out of the truck and just started filling it up while he was thinking about something else. Didn't realize it until the pump kicked off. I had to go buy 6 gas cans and help him siphon the gas out..

Comment

We have had 1 guy fill op a sprinter van with DEF and 1 guy fill up a chevrolet pickup with DEF here at work. Screwed them both up bad.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post

One would think that the design engineers of trucks and equipment would figure out to have the DEF tank as far away as possible from the fuel tank.
                        Chevy did this when DEF started. DEF fill is under the hood.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckcrusher View Post
                          Probably on their **** phones.
                          That’s what happened to me

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                            Chevy did this when DEF started. DEF fill is under the hood.
                            And then people complain that it isn't easy to get to LOL

Comment

I never use a pump with a diesel handle. Looks like an oil spill all around it. Besides, I'm courteous like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X