"Newbie" Gear Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
    Yep. I’d recommend a pulsar. Invest about 1500-2k. Buy once, cry once.

Let me put it like this. Before I had my thermal, you could scan with binoculars and pay close attention to slight movement and still might not see that deer.

I’ve had this item the last 2 seasons now. Absolute game changer. Your never surprised. The last deer I shot (150 yards). Never would have known she was there and ready for a rifle shot without it.
    I'd think this is a bit unnecessary for a "Newbie". Keep it simple and don't overthink it. If you're starting from nothing then there are far better things to spend your money on. My .02.

Comment

If I were starting over. The first thing I’d buy is the thermal monocular I have now. It’s better than any binoculars you can find. You’ll know when deer are there every time.
      Kinda eliminates the challenge dont it?

Comment

if You are hunting public land a GPS definitely helps

Comment

Originally posted by Jcjohnson View Post
          if You are hunting public land a GPS definitely helps
          Or OnX

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
            How? You have mentioned it before. As it can see thru trees. The thermal videos i have watched you cant see the hogs in the grass till they stand up, or see their legs. Only what is above?

What are you using? What am i missing?
            I have the Pulsar quantum.

I'm giving you first hand testimonials. I've been sitting in my tree stand, scanning with the thermal and see the deer long before they were in bow range.

You have no idea what kind of world it opens up. It almost makes hunting boring if I can use that word. No more guessing if there is deer/hogs present.

I've seen them in some thick brush.

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
              I'd think this is a bit unnecessary for a "Newbie". Keep it simple and don't overthink it. If you're starting from nothing then there are far better things to spend your money on. My .02.
              I have no idea what everyone's starting point is with necessary and money. I was speaking from my point of view.

I've lived through the frustration of not being ready for a deer because they show up last second.

Keep in mind. I hunt public land. So I'm not hunting feeders.

Comment

If I were starting over. The first thing I’d buy is the thermal monocular I have now. It’s better than any binoculars you can find. You’ll know when deer are there every time.
                Which monocular do you have. I’ve been looking around ?

Edit - pulsar, I see now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jchunter View Post
                  Kinda eliminates the challenge dont it?
                  I'm assuming your talking public land hunting? That's about as challenging as it gets.

The idea is to improve your chances to harvest a deer. (at least that is how I look at it).

Once I start tagging out every year on public land within the first few days, I will look to challenge myself better. lol

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
                    Which monocular do you have. I’ve been looking around ?

Edit - pulsar, I see now.

Comment

1800 to see a deer��

Comment

No judgement here, I'm curious about ALL products that people love and don't leave home with out. I never set a price point.

There's no reason to troll the man because he values something that you haven't bought or field tested.

Let keep the products rolling. Packs? Feeder? Camo?
                        Last edited by BassMaster13; 12-04-2019, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                          1800 to see a deer��
                          How much do people pay for deer lease? Feeders? Corn? Etc?

I'm not trying to tell you its cheap. I'm saying its legit. It's hands down my first purchase if I'm starting over.

Comment

Here is the other part I forgot to mention. Now, I scan as I'm walking through the woods in the morning and have seen "many deer" in the dark from afar.

I'm considering expanding my horizons and doing some night scouting just to pattern their traveling habits.

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
                              Good Binos, but don't get binos better than your scope if rifle hunting.

Havalon with plenty extra blades

Good base layer to stay warm.

Good flash light, and good head light. I have Fenix and love them, but there are bunch of good brands.

Blind back or backpack big enough to hold everything you bring PLUS a package of wet whips. If you've never hunted you'll soon find out why wet whips are an essential part of a veteran hunters bag. I didn't have any wet whips last weekend so I packed a whole role of TP.

I agree that good glass on a rifle is important, but i spend way more time looking through my binoculars than my scope.

Comment

Originally posted by Bdub25 View Post
                                I agree that good glass on a rifle is important, but i spend way more time looking through my binoculars than my scope.
                                Yeah, I would spend more money on binos than a rifle scope. If you want to pick out details and evaluate a deer, it is much easier to do that with binos. Scope just needs to hold zero.

Comment

Working...
                                X