No announcement yet.

All around rifle suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would first decide if you want a short or long action & then start narrowing down your preferred caliber. If primarily going to be a whitetail round stick with a 25-30 caliber window.

Long action would include any of the 30-06 family so 25-06, 270, 280 & the 30-06 being the 4 most popular.

Short action gives you a bunch of options with 257 roberts & the 6.5x55 being great options if you want something outside the more traditional / popular rounds. 7-08 & 308 are hard to beat if you want a more readily available round.

The 257wby is the choice for a belted round. Good luck.

Comment

Just get yourself the tried and true 30’06 and be done with it. Ammunition is still $14 a box and it will ethically kill anything in the US.

Comment

There simply is no better "all around" rifle than the .308.....period. with the advancements in powders, it does everything the 30-06 does and in a lighter more compact package. Ammo is available EVERYWHERE. The 125 Speer tnt at 3200 fps is awesome on coyotes, The 150's at 2900-3000 fps are awesome on deer, and a 200gr bonded bullet at 2600fps will take anything else on this continent without issue!
        It's not flashy or new, it's just GOOD.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
          Something along 25-06 or .243 would be my first looks.

Guess I'd be looking at what will I still be able to shoot in 15+ years at your age.
          Agree If you plan on tx deer/hogs perfect....25-06 more range more bang&recoil but still in comfortable range..Generally a little longer and heavier ...ammo availability pretty good...

243 not quite range and power of above (plenty for Tx deer/hogs) But real comfortable to shoot.Shorter and lighter, ammo availability excellent..

Going a step bigger 260 Rem and some of the other 260 stuff out there...still in comfortable range Great cal But ammo availability not so good...but improving with time ....

Comment

30-06 large selection of ammo

Comment

I always ask myself if the Libs took everything tomorrow what is the most common ammo that might be available and that would be anything that is considered a NATO round.

.308 fills this need

However.

Although I don't own one.

Tikka 6.5 creedmore would be an excellent choice.

If an outfitter insists on .30 cal I have a .308.

I've got a .270 Tikka that is my favorite rifle.

For the price it's hard to beat a Tikka. Save money and spend it on a really good optic.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Pretty much everything from 222 to 300 win mag would be fine... I would personally look hard at 243 and 6.5 PRC

I like 243 cause it works great as a coyote round as well
                If elk is going to be a thing 6.5 PRC or 300 Win Mag would be my thought

I would avoid 7 mags, I'm not a fan for several reasons
                Last edited by catslayer; 11-26-2019, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 512robby View Post
                  I always ask myself if the Libs took everything tomorrow what is the most common ammo that might be available and that would be anything that is considered a NATO round.

.308 fills this need

However.

Although I don't own one.

Tikka 6.5 creedmore would be an excellent choice.

If an outfitter insists on .30 cal I have a .308.

I've got a .270 Tikka that is my favorite rifle.

For the price it's hard to beat a Tikka. Save money and spend it on a really good optic.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
                  He has a point on $$$ hard to beat a Tikka for the price

Comment

Working...
                  X