What is up with that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
    I've been discussing deer huntin with my buddy and over the past few days he's seen 5 hunters on neighboring properties miss (multiple times) or wound deer. One missed three times when the deer was 100 yards away (he talked to him)....how does that even happen? I'm convinced deer hunters are the worst shots that ever were or ever will be. How hard is it to go check your rifle before going hunting? How hard is it to hit a deer and kill it at 400 yards or less? It's not......I can't believe there's people that shoot more than once at a deer with a rifle.

My buddy included. Do deer really get people that shook up out of their minds that they can't shoot straighter than that? They sit there and eat......It's not like they're running as fast as they can back and forth like an arcade game.
    Are you saying you’ve never missed or made a bad shot? If so you haven’t shot at enough of them or you’re lying lol.

I’ve shot a lot of rounds through a bunch of rifles. I still screw up a shot on occasion. It sucks. A lot. But it happens.

Comment

I just dont think people train themselves mentally and get antsy. Theres been a number of times I'm almost more worried about guys concealed carrying just cause I get the sense they'd panic when it's on. Same thing shooting a deer. Plus lack of prep in general like you said.

Comment

Combo of people being lazy, and not practicing without an elbow rest which happens in most deer blind situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BearStrike2010 View Post
          I work in a gun shop and I think you all would be amazed at how many people I get in the store ask me to bore sight their rifle and they call that good enough. Makes me sick.
          That's the one I was looking for. Makes me scratch my head.

Comment

You don't read about all of the good one shot kills. Those guys are home cutting up deer and eating backstrap.
            I sighted in a new rifle I'm giving as a gift. Shot off the mirror of my truck for a rest, elbow against door to stabilize. Last three shots in the one inch bull at 100 yard. The last two were wasted shots for sure. I had ten rounds to start wth and the four round magazine is full for him to start with. It's not hard but I see people struggle to do it off a bench with less than 2 boxes of shells. Most people have never had instruction. Most were never poor enough that each .22lr round best bring home a rabbit or squirrel for the family. Most people have never had a drill instructor or range master riding their *** as they shoot to get used to the pressure while behind the trigger.
            And I have no clue why people shoot deer with a rifle anyway. But then again, I'm a bow hunter.
            Gary
            Last edited by DRT; 11-26-2019, 07:55 AM.

Comment

400 yards is a really long way for your average deer rifle and hunting situation.

I wouldn’t knock anyone for not being able to easily kill a deer outside of 200. It’s hard to really confirm age/animal quality much past that distance. Especially early and late.

I would knock anyone for taking shots outside of the range that they are proficient at, or taking a gun to the blind that was not sighted in.

Most guests hunt with my rifles when hunting my places.

Comment

The attitude of the op comes across as holier than though and anything but positive.

Dude ppl get excited take a breather and get off your high horse

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                  The attitude of the op comes across as holier than though and anything but positive.

Dude ppl get excited take a breather and get off your high horse
                  I understand people get excited. That's to be expected. I just can't seem to think all of it is attributed to getting excited.

Comment

It's a free country. As with almost anything we do, we have the freedom to take it as seriously as we choose. Many, maybe the majority, of deer hunters take it pretty casually.

Another hunters decision on what is acceptable will probably not be the same as yours or mine. But they paid the same for the deer tag as anybody else.

And many hunters, really aren't gun guys and/or don't bow hunt.

Many times gun guys shoot enough to be proficient. I realized many years ago, that if you can shoot a bow well, you can shoot a gun well.

Many years ago I made a good shot on a small buck. I decided I was good. So a few weeks later, I set out to prove it. Took a target and tried to replicate shot. Fired 3 times. One hole in the target was pretty much where I aimed. One was not and the 3rd missed target all together.

That day, I said to myself 'this is unacceptable'. Deer hunting was too important to put my self in a position to kill deer, but the not be a good enough shot to seal the deal. Going forward, I did what was needed to become a good shot, becoming a gun guy and sending lots of lead down range. I'll not try to convince you I'm the best shot in the world - just good enough that bad gun shots seldom happen anymore.

But many hunters never get to the point of realizing that they aren't very good, or they don't care, or they care some but don't really know what to do or how to fix it.

I hunted (briefly) with some guys who are really into driving deer. A shot on a standing deer is rare - almost always running shots. The miss/hitnotrecovered rate was very high. The number of shots these guys fire is a little crazy. But that form of hunting seemed to be a tradition for them and they killed enough deer to be satisfied with all of it.

It was really not acceptable to me, but again to each his own. I was (am) very glad that hunting with them wasn't my only option.

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                      Combo of people being lazy, and not practicing without an elbow rest which happens in most deer blind situations.

Loads of hunters from Texas are just lazy, hunt over feeders and in a shored up box blind with a custom office chair and take that for granted , take them out of that element and they are truly lost , bow or gun people need to practice for the unexpected, weird angles, tight shots ect add cold weather clothing or conditions and they become useless

Comment

I've been discussing deer huntin with my buddy and over the past few days he's seen 5 hunters on neighboring properties miss (multiple times) or wound deer. One missed three times when the deer was 100 yards away (he talked to him)....how does that even happen? I'm convinced deer hunters are the worst shots that ever were or ever will be. How hard is it to go check your rifle before going hunting? How hard is it to hit a deer and kill it at 400 yards or less? It's not......I can't believe there's people that shoot more than once at a deer with a rifle.

My buddy included. Do deer really get people that shook up out of their minds that they can't shoot straighter than that? They sit there and eat......It's not like they're running as fast as they can back and forth like an arcade game.
                        I shoot a bunch and I’m not comfortable at 400, that being said I would not take a shot at 400 either.

Comment

Painting with a big brush, I think bow hunters are just as if not more guilty of not practicing enough.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                            Are you saying you’ve never missed or made a bad shot? If so you haven’t shot at enough of them or you’re lying lol.

I’ve shot a lot of rounds through a bunch of rifles. I still screw up a shot on occasion. It sucks. A lot. But it happens.
                            I have missed my fair share of animals. I understand just flat missing just because that's part of the game. What I don't understand is the lack of care that most people have before heading out there to shoot a trophy.

A lot of it can be prevented and some of it is from a problem that is right in front of the person but they just don't realize it. For example I have a buddy that will miss with a rifle on a regular basis whether he's shooting at a coyote or a deer. My other buddies would razz him about being an awful shot and still do but I've come to realize it's not him just flat out being a bad shot. He shoots a 300WSM and he's scared of it. Shooting that rifle has taught him bad habits. I'd bet if you handed that rifle to him after unloading it and told him to shoot something he'd have a flinch like you can't believe. Being comfortable has a lot to do with shooting well.

I'm not trying to sound like I never miss and never will. It's just merely an observation because it seems to be all too common.
                            Last edited by okrattler; 11-26-2019, 09:15 AM.

Comment

I have missed my fair share of animals. I understand just flat missing just because that's part of the game. What I don't understand is the lack of care that most people have before heading out there to shoot a trophy.

A lot of it can be prevented and some of it is from a problem that is right in front of the person but they just don't realize it. For example I have a buddy that will miss with a rifle on a regular basis whether he's shooting at a coyote or a deer. My other buddies would razz him about being an awful shot and still do but I've come to realize it's not him just flat out being a bad shot. He shoots a 300WSM and he's scared of it. Shooting that rifle has taught him bad habits. I'd bet if you handed that rifle to him after unloading it and told him to shoot something he'd have a flinch like you can't believe. Being comfortable has a lot to do with shooting well.

I'm not trying to sound like I never miss and never will. It's just merely an observation because it seems to be all too common.

This right here. Had a buddy that always bought the baddest of gear. rifles handguns shotguns you name it he never spent less than $1K on a weapon and always bought the most expensive accesories and just threw mounds of cash at his guns. BUT he couldnt shoot for shat. my brother did what you did and while we were out flinging lead he made a bet that he couldnt shoot a watermelon or something at 150yds. dude handed him his 300WSM fully unloaded. that boy flinched so hard when he pulled the trigger the proceeded to panic that there was a click and no boom. it was quite hilarious but exactly like you said. he was SCARED of the gun

Comment

Reasons people miss

1. Lack of practice/ sighting in
                                2. Buck fever
                                3 Change bullets/ammo
                                4. gun/scope takes hit
                                5. scope not mounted properly
                                6. shooting form; no rest, flinch, etc.
                                7. borrowed gun
                                8. trying to shoot beyond their skill or equipment
                                9. probably several more I can not think of off the top of my head

Comment

Working...
                                X