Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covert BlackHawk Camera - Do You Really Need Batteries with External Power Source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Covert BlackHawk Camera - Do You Really Need Batteries with External Power Source?

I'm getting ready to deploy my new Covert Blackhawk LTE camera. I'm going to power it from a 12v battery maintained by a solar panel. I have the 12v to 6v converter cable. Do I need to install any batteries? I called Covert support and they said. "We're told to tell people they need to use rechargeable batteries with external power sources". Sounds like they're being paid by Duracell to me...

Do I need batteries or can I truly go without with my setup?

In for the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Most here, including me, just use Amazon high capacity rechargeable AAs and skip the 12v battery. Works like a charm

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
        Most here, including me, just use Amazon high capacity rechargeable AAs and skip the 12v battery. Works like a charm

With these batteries, it’s honestly the easiest thing to do. They’re not much more than a 12 volt battery and you don’t need a converter cable, or have to worry about your camera frying.

Comment

I think you need 4 internal batteries to power up the camera. I use 12 Amazon Basic high capacity rechargeable batteries and the Covert solar panel with a 6 volt rechargeable battery in its pouch. Haven’t dropped below 90% charge yet.

Comment

Looks like I’ll have to test and report back. Will try to do it in the next few days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s hard to answer this question without knowing how it was designed electrically. You will just have to test and find out.

Comment

If the camera will turn on with external plugged in and no AA’s in it, then yes it will work that way. IMO, rechargeable AA’s inside are worth doing though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have the Lifepo 6.4v batteries with the solar charger (from the website) I switched from using batteries a while back. It’s been great so far.

Comment

I tested it today. With an external power source you do NOT need rechargeable or any batteries in the camera.

I think Covert tells everyone to put batteries in the camera as most people are using a small solar panel as the external power source.

Comment

The advantage of having internal batteries is if you external battery dies or something chews your wire to external battery, your camera will start working off the internal batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                        The advantage of having internal batteries is if you external battery dies or something chews your wire to external battery, your camera will start working off the internal batteries.

Great point! Those pesky critters can be pretty destructive.

Comment

Working...
                        X