Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-03-2019, 12:33 PM   #1
Trevor73402
Eight Point

Default Serious question about hunting, kids, and marriage.

I know there is a pretty broad age group of people on this board, so I feel like there will be some good discussion on this as I feel the responses will vary based upon age.

It seems that more and more I see/hear people talking about how they are not able to hunt/fish/be outdoors as much as theyíd like due to having kids and a wife. I have two very good friends that Iíve known most of my life. They lease some property from me. Itís gotten to the point that I only see them 1-2 times a year now during deer season when they come up to camp. One lives 40 minutes away. The other lives about 90 minutes away. All I hear from them is how they canít hunt due to kids and/or wife. They are just too busy.

My Dad was an avid outdoorsman. The day I was born, he was on Texoma hauling in stripers. Just weeks after I was born, I was in a Ranger boat strapped in a car seat on Toledo Bend while he caught bass. Anything that could be hunted, trapped, or fished for, he did it. For the most part, my dad worked a 40-50 hour a week job 5 days a week. Weekends were for hunting/fishing. Thatís just how it was. Nobody complained about it. It was not a big deal. He was not an absent father. He didnít neglect any home duties. But you sure as hell were not going to tell him he couldnít go hunt/fish because of me or a wife. I started going hunting along side him when I was 7-8. I was fishing with him well before that.

It just seems like men nowdays in the 25-40 year old age group seem to either be making a lot excuses for not being able to be outdooors, or they have wives that really are a bit too hard on them for wanting to enjoy their hobbies. Iím not saying that all those men donít enjoy spending time with their babies. Itís just never presented in that manner. Itís always ďIíve got kids and a wife so I donít get to hunt muchĒ. For the older crowd on here, men that would be my Dadís age, I donít feel like you all were the same way when you were ďin your primeĒ. You did what you wanted and nobody gave you a hard time about it. You hunted when you wanted and thatís just how it was. The wife and kids were never an excuse or reason why you couldnít be in the field.

I am not meaning this as a slam towards any at all. Iím just trying to get some understanding as to what is real vs guys just making excuses not to be outdoors.
Trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 12:37 PM   #2
K. Lane
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kendall County Texas

can't offer any help here in answering any questions in your thread and it does seem your assumptions are correct. Folks do make more excuses not to do something instead of just gettin up of their asses and doin it.
My wife and all of our children love to be outdoors hunting, fishing, camping, etc....as much as I do. I am blessed really
K. Lane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 12:42 PM   #3
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

I have a understanding wife, a 23 year old daughter, and a 21 year old son.. I cannot begin to tell you how many diapers that I changed in the stand..
My wife and kids never slowed me down.. Not even a little....
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 12:43 PM   #4
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Hunt In: granger, victoria

It was much easier when my kids were younger. Now they are a bit older 7-10 they have their own interest and tend to want to do those activities more. With that said we do spend every weekend at our little place in the woods building so i can understand their burn out. If i can get one of them to have a friend out for a sleep over it is a whole other story. They are off to the woods and playing in the creek.
Dirtymike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 12:44 PM   #5
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

My son is grown now and has kids of his own. He's only hunted once all year. Same thing "too busy with wife and kids." My father n law told me at camp, "I don't remember you missing hunts when you had kids." He was right. I didn't miss hunts. When I had to take my baby with me he slept in the floor of the deer stand with ear plugs on

Just a different generation I guess. I don't think hunting is as much of a desire for younger people anymore
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 12:48 PM   #6
tfrye
Eight Point

Hunt In: Jack County

Trevor,
Good post, and is an interesting topic as I am the poster child of what you just said. In my high school days, college days, and just after getting married stage I would hunt pretty often. I love the outdoors and would spend as much time as possible out there but my wife does not enjoy it as much as I do. She would tell you I hunted a lot and I would tell you I didn't hunt as much as I wanted to. Now, we have a 1 year old daughter and I don't hunt at all, maybe 1-3 times a year if that. My wife and I both work, and I don't feel like it is fair to my wife or daughter for me to leave them and go hunting every weekend or even 1/2 the weekends. My wife does not have the same desires as I do when it comes to the outdoors and hunting and that is perfectly okay but makes it harder. I do not think that I am making any excuses for not going hunting but instead trying to be the best husband/dad I can be. Once my daughter is older I do plan on taking her out and my hope is that we will have a set up where we can go as a family, but even then my wife would not want to go very often.

"happy wife, happy life" If your mom was happy going on those trips with your dad then that is the difference maker because that would not make my wife happy.
tfrye is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 12:48 PM   #7
bowhuntz
Six Point

My wife is the most understanding woman in the world! When we married 25 years ago I did not bow hunt. Couple of years into the marriage and I started bowhunting... We were married on 9/29 so for the most part, I am in a tree on our anniversary every year and she never ever mentions it. She knows its my passion and I am so thankful that she understands and tolerates it.
bowhuntz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 12:50 PM   #8
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

I have a old school wife who never got in my way of anything. As long as the family did not suffer. But unlike TTaxidermy...I did not start bringing my sons(3) afield until they stopped crapping in their pants. My wife loved it. Each weekend I took the boys to fish, shoot, ride or just walk the woods and she had two days off. I spent lots of time with my sons when it mattered most, when they were 8-14 years old. They are all grown up now and out the house. Made some great memories that we talk about always.
Most young couples today to not have the ability to get ahead. Many are just trying to stay afloat. Anyone who is able to go out and spend thousands on corn, bows, guns and other stuff has it pretty good. They should be able to find that balance where the family and himself are kept happy.
Tony Pic is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 12:52 PM   #9
dawgkllr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jermyn, Texas

Boy does this sound familiar dfwpi?? 80% of the guys on our lease are PW.
dawgkllr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 12:52 PM   #10
junior
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bell,Williamson,San Saba Counties
Smile hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
My son is grown now and has kids of his own. He's only hunted once all year. Same thing "too busy with wife and kids." My father n law told me at camp, "I don't remember you missing hunts when you had kids." He was right. I didn't miss hunts. When I had to take my baby with me he slept in the floor of the deer stand with ear plugs on

Just a different generation I guess. I don't think hunting is as much of a desire for younger people anymore
Dang your bow was that loud?
junior is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 12:55 PM   #11
Silvey
Eight Point

Hunt In: Waelder TX, Crosby TX

Im 38 with a 11yr old and a 9yr old. I take them with me or go by myself. Simple as that. Had a guy on my lease show up on a Friday night to hunt Saturday morning and go home. He said that's all his "kitchen pass" was good for. He is from Austin, so there is that.
Silvey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 12:57 PM   #12
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

I found and married a woman that has grown to love the outdoors almost as much as I do. Out only complaint during deer season is not having a place to hunt more often. We are desperately trying to find land to lease that we can hunt year round that fits what we are looking for. That seems to be harder than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 12:57 PM   #13
jake-1024
Ten Point

Hunt In: Medina County

I think this has a lot more to do with the age of the kids, the number of kids, and a few other variables. I’m 36 with a 4 yr old girl, 2 yr old boy, and a 3 week old girl and I strictly hunt with a bow. It is pretty much impossible for me to take any of the kiddos hunting yet as they are just too young and I also work a full time job and a part time job.

I can hunt whenever I want to around my work schedule. My wife can handle the kids on her own, but I try to make sure that when I go hunting, it is worth it. I monitor cellular trail cams and wait for the deer to be on a good pattern before I go hunting. I have only hunted 3 times this year bc of this (super slow on the feeders right now) and have had shot opportunities every hunt. Have shot one doe in those 3 sits and passed on a really nice buck.

I can’t wait for my kids to get a little older so that I can take them hunting with me though. I really just take the attitude of my my kids will grow up fast so I try to enjoy them as much as I can, but make sure to still take time for myself when I can/want to.
jake-1024 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 12:58 PM   #14
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgkllr View Post
Boy does this sound familiar dfwpi?? 80% of the guys on our lease are PW.
Herein lies your answer.
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 12:59 PM   #15
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

I think the younger generation is maybe a little lazy compared to the old timers. If it’s not easy they aren’t doing it. Before I get jumped on by the younger crowd l, I’m 35.. not saying every one, just as a whole. I think the tablet/smart phone did this. Every thing is a tap away. Old timers had to put leg work in. Also it’s just an excuse for the weekend warrior type I think too. If you LOVE hunting your going to find a way.

Great topic to discuss BTW. Hope it stays on track
Jcjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 12:59 PM   #16
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

When I proposed I told my future wife that you know how I hunt & fish. If you have a problem with that its better you say no. I know it sounds bad, but I told her if you try to change me after marriage it will be over. She said I would rather you be chasing game & fish instead of bar room floozies. Been married 33 yrs & never an issue. She goes when she wants & kids were always included. We had kids in deer blinds when babies. Sure, it took a little adjusting ,but we had a great time & raised 2 great kids! I had one gal tell me one night if I left her party to go fish with my dad it was over. Told her bye & never looked back. Too many guys wear the panties nowadays & wives the big boy pants!! LOL!!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 01:00 PM   #17
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

I’m in the age range you referred to above and of all my buddies I spend more time in the field hunting and fishing than all of them combined and often ponder this exact same thing myself. Granted I’m not married yet, but my girlfriend knew when we met that time in the outdoors is one of the most important things in life and if she didn’t like it we didn’t need to be together. Most my buddies are married and have little ones and always have excuses why they don’t have time to hunt but yet I work on average 50 hours a week but still have time with family and friends as well as be in the outdoors.

I think there are two reasons as to why this seems to be so common these days. One is my upbringing was a little bit different than my buddies. I was born in the middle of elk/mule deer season and mom said go hunting and bring home meat for the freezer. Dad gave mom a kiss and said hold out til I get back. Luckily it worked out and I was born 2 days after he got back home from his annual trip with my grandfather and uncles. From the time I was born I was in a car seat in the deer blind or on the boat with my parents or grandpa.

The other reason is their wives are either too needy or demanding and they can’t put their foot down. I think some of this has to do with the fact their priorities change after marriage and kids and they don’t have the drive or desire to be in the outdoors as much as they used to. Just my .02 cents on the situation.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 01:01 PM   #18
Trevor73402
Eight Point

So here is another question. For you guys that don’t get outdoors because your wife/kids are not into it really, what do you spend your free time, either alone or with them, doing? How are you making memories with your kids? Sporting events? Trips? Just curious.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:02 PM   #19
lodgepole
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Little River Bottom

All about priority.

I donít hunt near as much now as I did when I was young, single, with no kids. I used to hunt almost every weekend between dove opener to last weekend of duck. Then get in a few weekends of Spring Turkey. Then on to fishing until dove opener.

Now I hunt a couple of times during deer season, no turkey, maybe a duck hunt or two, and havenít dove hunted in years. I CHOSE to spend my time with my wife and kids. My kids love to hunt but my oldest have either started their own families or are in school. My son loves the outdoors like his dad but also gets neck deep in baseball in the spring and early summer. Which I love as well.

For me hunting/fishing is not a priority. It is something I like to do but not something I feel I have to do. There have been a few years the I didnít hunt at all, and I am ok with that. For me hunting is a hobby not a lifestyle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
lodgepole is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 01:03 PM   #20
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

You married with any kids?
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 01:05 PM   #21
Tex21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina, Val Verde Counties

Im 30 and will not get married if she wants me to give up hunting. I will lay that down early in a relationship and its cost me a couple of gfs because they say I should rather be spending time with them or at least texting every 5 seconds with them. My kids will start going with me around 4 and start shooting deer at age 5. In return if my wife has a hobby or passion I wont stand in her way to do it.

The younger generation thinks they have to be glued to each other 24/7
Tex21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 01:08 PM   #22
aac_shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb county

I was given advice by an old man. He told me, "son, when you are seriously dating someone, you should hunt twice as much as you usually do. When you marry, cut back to what you considered normal and she will think you made a sacrifice." I never cut back, and was never asked to. My wife understands that it is a lifestyle and not a hobby. I take my boys as often as they will join me, and I invite my wife as well. She doesn't care to hunt, but will cook anything I kill. Setting expectations prior to getting married is the key.
aac_shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 01:08 PM   #23
tx_basser
Six Point

Hunt In: Any place Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
I have a understanding wife, a 23 year old daughter, and a 21 year old son.. I cannot begin to tell you how many diapers that I changed in the stand..
My wife and kids never slowed me down.. Not even a little....
This is exactly how I handled it.. both of my kids were raised in the rod locker of my bass boat.
tx_basser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 01:12 PM   #24
Trevor73402
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
You married with any kids?
Iím 39, was married for 10yrs. I do not have any kids by choice. Iíve been very much into bodybuilding/fitness since I was 20. My ex-wife was the very same way. Neither of us wanted to give up any part of our lives to make the sacrifices that a child requires. Do I regret it now? No....not really. I think it would be nice to have a son now to spend time with and do the things that my dad and I did, but I do not look back on my choice with regret.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:12 PM   #25
mmlreiner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr County, Tx

Iím 37, married with a 6 year old and a 1 year old. I suppose when my wife and I met I was just as much of an avid hunter as I am now. I guess my wife just understands this is my thing. Iím not running around on her and heck, last trip I took my 6 year old for the first time. (That didnít turn out as I had planned but we will keep trying)

I think she sees itís my way of stress relief. As long as my bills are paid and Iím not neglecting my duties as the other half of the marriage I think sheís happy. She was SUPER happy when I took Kenley lol. I think she also knows sheís welcome every single time and if she just wants to go and shop in town thatís just fine. I donít go to get away from her, I go because I love it. I fall in to the age range youíre referring to but I donít fall into that trap lol. Iíll be ecstatic when my kids can go each time and then she will get the house to herself.

mmlreiner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 01:15 PM   #26
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

As long as the wife gets equal time to enjoy her hobbies, friends, and get a break, all should be good. But as mentioned in previous posts, nothing beats hunting/fishing with the family.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 01:16 PM   #27
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties

I hunt more now than I did before a wife and kid. Mainly because I got more money now. Lol. My wife understands, I do make time for her and our little girl. My little girl was at the lease with me every weekend last year and can’t wait to start taking her fishing this summer.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 01:19 PM   #28
tfrye
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodgepole View Post
All about priority.

I don’t hunt near as much now as I did when I was young, single, with no kids. I used to hunt almost every weekend between dove opener to last weekend of duck. Then get in a few weekends of Spring Turkey. Then on to fishing until dove opener.

Now I hunt a couple of times during deer season, no turkey, maybe a duck hunt or two, and haven’t dove hunted in years. I CHOSE to spend my time with my wife and kids. My kids love to hunt but my oldest have either started their own families or are in school. My son loves the outdoors like his dad but also gets neck deep in baseball in the spring and early summer. Which I love as well.

For me hunting/fishing is not a priority. It is something I like to do but not something I feel I have to do. There have been a few years the I didn’t hunt at all, and I am ok with that. For me hunting is a hobby not a lifestyle.

It's interesting to read everyone's posts, you can scroll up and see what I wrote earlier but this is what I relate to the most. I love to hunt and be outdoors and would love to live on some acreage some day but as far as priorities go, my family will always be first. For the ones that say "I told her", "this is how its going to be", "come with or stay home", in my opinion that's putting hunting first and if that's the case why get married?

What legacy do you want to be remembered, your family or your animals on the wall? I don't say this as harsh as it sounds but I would rather make sure my kids are raised then raising a good buck.

Not trying to stir anything up as I love the outdoors as much as anyone on here but I think priorities is a good word for this thread. Not trying to make me seem like a better husband or dad or judge anyone, just conversation.

Last edited by tfrye; 12-03-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:19 PM   #29
Cullbuck
Four Point

Hunt In: setx

i know some guys that are the same way, but there wives were not brought up in a outdoors family. I dont think they truely understand the whole fishing and hunting thing. im 28 and and met my wife when i was 21 i was a pretty avid duck hunter at the time (hunting 3-4 days a week while i was in college) and i told her if she made it through duck season that i would be impressed, 5 seasons later i married her. She has no problem with me hunting or fishing anytime unless i need to get something done around the house. Her father is an avid bowhunter and fishes all the time so she knows that its a part of life. I will say i have canceled a few hunts this year because we have a baby girl coming January 4th due to lack of cell service and being 5+ hours away but i wouldnt want to miss that for the world.
Cullbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 01:20 PM   #30
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Like a few others here its a non issue for me. My wife loves to fish and hunt just as much as I do. Shes there from cuttin shooting lanes to filling feeders. She was raised in a hunting family.

On the other side my brother was raised hunting and fishing. Then he married a cee you next tuesday that carries his boys in her purse (to put it nicely). Now his boat hasnt seen the water in close to 10 years and he prolly dont even know what caliber his rifle is. His over 50 and his kid is in his first year at TAMU. He swore he was gonna get out more when kiddo left for college. Nope. Aint. Happened. Once. flippin sissy
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 01:21 PM   #31
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Like a few others here its a non issue for me. My wife loves to fish and hunt just as much as I do. Shes there from cuttin shooting lanes to filling feeders. She was raised in a hunting family.

On the other side my brother was raised hunting and fishing. Then he married a cee you next tuesday that carries his boys in her purse (to put it nicely). Now his boat hasnt seen the water in close to 10 years and he prolly dont even know what caliber his rifle is. His over 50 and his kid is in his first year at TAMU. He swore he was gonna get out more when kiddo left for college. Nope. Aint. Happened. Once. flippin sissy
I bet he would let go of that boat cheap then.
Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 01:22 PM   #32
Geoff995
Eight Point

Hunt In: Scurry Cty.

I’m 34 with a wife and 2 daughters. IMO I believe it’s a cop out when someone says they can’t do something because of wife or kids. If you have family commitments, then just say so. Don’t blame your choice on your family. Also, hunting and fishing are a priority for me because that is the meat that we eat throughout the year. Has nothing to do with heads on the wall

Last edited by Geoff995; 12-03-2019 at 01:25 PM. Reason: .
Geoff995 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 01:22 PM   #33
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
I bet he would let go of that boat cheap then.
may even throw the travel trailer thats sat in the same spot 4 years or so go with it
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 01:23 PM   #34
ClayW
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Karnes County

OP, I assume you aren't married or have any kiddos?

For me, its all about priorities. With a wife and 2 kiddos under 5 at home, my priorities have changed over the years.

My work schedule allows me to hunt whenever I want, but I get to the blind 2-3 times per week. My "excuse" for not deer hunting more is usually involves the kiddos or helping Chels out with the kiddos.
ClayW is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 01:23 PM   #35
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo

In for the responses. See how much truth is spoken.

My response. I am 33 with two girls (9 & 1.5) and a boy due in April. I purposely got married and planned to have kids January to May to prevent birthdays and anniversary days during peak outdoors times. My wife knew that all along and will tell other people about it. I don’t hunt not fish near as much as I did before them bc I spend all my free time working or woth my oldest doing her cheer stuff. I don’t have my own place to hunt but have access to many places so I can’t use that as an excuse. I just don’t go. My background was pretty rough and never had parents so I try to be woth mine as much as possible. With my oldest bit interested in hunting, it takes away from my time in the woods but it’s ok. I still go when I can or feel like it. I only bow hunt so it is truly difficult to get younger kids in the bow stand My wife likes to go but she has dedicated herself to the kids and her education and career so she has no spare time either. Hopefully with a boy, things will change but if he has other interests then so be it.
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 01:23 PM   #36
trhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Can't afford it I have Children

Been married for 20 years. My wife has never once complained or even had a problem if I wanted to hunt everyday or weekend. Now I used to hunt just that much, but now I do not go very often at all. You see, my last child is a freshman in high school and she is a varsity cheerleader on Friday nights and also plays volleyball for the school and club. Yea I could go hunting if I wanted to without one word being said. I just choose to spend my time with my family. The way I look at it is my daughter will be done in three years (unless she goes on to play volleyball in college) and after she is done I will then get back to hunting just as much as I want too. I don't see it as being PW'd as some younger men would put it, what I see is these are years I will never get back with my child, if it mean me missing something I want to do, then that is ok with me. When you get older like me family starts to have a whole new meaning.
trhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 01:23 PM   #37
tfrye
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullbuck View Post
i know some guys that are the same way, but there wives were not brought up in a outdoors family. I dont think they truely understand the whole fishing and hunting thing. im 28 and and met my wife when i was 21 i was a pretty avid duck hunter at the time (hunting 3-4 days a week while i was in college) and i told her if she made it through duck season that i would be impressed, 5 seasons later i married her. She has no problem with me hunting or fishing anytime unless i need to get something done around the house. Her father is an avid bowhunter and fishes all the time so she knows that its a part of life. I will say i have canceled a few hunts this year because we have a baby girl coming January 4th due to lack of cell service and being 5+ hours away but i wouldnt want to miss that for the world.
Agree, really depends on the woman and how she was raised. My father-in-law cant spell hunting and she was raised in the city!
Old 12-03-2019, 01:24 PM   #38
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

I'm 33, with a 4 month old. I hunted Colorado and Montana this year while my wife and son were at home, being helped by my mother and step mom. My wife understands that as both of us grow, both of us change, and so long as its clearly communicated, it should be no big deal to figure out how I can go hunting every year. (That starts with knowing what the date will be 9 months from now. Too many guys get sucked in on valentines day, and next think you know, they can't make rifle season for that year because their wife is giving birth...)

My point is, some people change. Maybe your buddies don't find the joy in hunting anymore. I lost the joy of snowboarding when I was 28. Been doing it since I was 8. I shifted away from the fast toys (Motorcycle, snowmobile, jetski) back to hunting. I put down the bow at 19, and didn't pick it back up until 32, two years after we got married.

FWIW, the millennial's these days have a much lower divorce rate than older generations too. Maybe there is something to hunting less. I am glad I got a great wife, who understands my desire to hunt, and shares my love of the outdoors.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 01:25 PM   #39
tfrye
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhunter View Post
Been married for 20 years. My wife has never once complained or even had a problem if I wanted to hunt everyday or weekend. Now I used to hunt just that much, but now I do not go very often at all. You see, my last child is a freshman in high school and she is a varsity cheerleader on Friday nights and also plays volleyball for the school and club. Yea I could go hunting if I wanted to without one word being said. I just choose to spend my time with my family. The way I look at it is my daughter will be done in three years (unless she goes on to play volleyball in college) and after she is done I will then get back to hunting just as much as I want too. I don't see it as being PW'd as some younger men would put it, what I see is these are years I will never get back with my child, if it mean me missing something I want to do, then that is ok with me. When you get older like me family starts to have a whole new meaning.

I'm 26 and my wife and I met at 16 and we have a one year old now and I agree with this 1000000000000%!
Old 12-03-2019, 01:28 PM   #40
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

I believe it's about priorities and not being a selfish person.
Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 01:29 PM   #41
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor73402 View Post
Iím 39, was married for 10yrs. I do not have any kids by choice. Iíve been very much into bodybuilding/fitness since I was 20. My ex-wife was the very same way. Neither of us wanted to give up any part of our lives to make the sacrifices that a child requires. Do I regret it now? No....not really. I think it would be nice to have a son now to spend time with and do the things that my dad and I did, but I do not look back on my choice with regret.
If your kids are active with school functions, sports and friends, you have to balance that with your outdoor time. It's hard to bowhunt with young kids with you....I tried a bunch. Gun hunting is easy with kids.....but who wants to gun hunt?

I take my kids as much as possible, but they have other interest too. My wife likes to hunt, and she was with me most of the time until we had kids. Her priorities changed too. It's all about balance.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 01:30 PM   #42
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

I don’t hunt and fish as much as I did when I was single, and first married. I don’t do anything as much as I did then… It’s not just about me anymore. I used to average about 35 weekends a year at it, Probly closer to 20 now. My son, who is eight, is with me for a lot of them, and my wife for quite a few as well. He will go with me more and more as he gets older and men’s trips turn into father and son trips. He’s about to be playing a lot of baseball starting in the spring, so that eats up a lot of time and weekends, but on off weekends we will be fishing, hunting turkeys, and prepping for deer season. I miss a few games to work on deer lease stuff, he understands...but I positively LOVE to watch him compete on a baseball field.

It’s all about priorities… When I married his mom some of her priorities became mine, and when we had him he became both of our priority. You just have to fit it all together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Dale Moser; 12-03-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 01:34 PM   #43
boh347
Pope & Young

Hunt In: coke county, tx Nolan county, tx

I love hunting and would spend every second out in the field if I could. But, I have to tell myself it’s a hobby and not let it consume me. So, if my kids want to go see a movie on the weekend or there’s a football game they want to play in then we tend to do that. They have their own interests and we divide everyone’s hobbies up.
boh347 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 01:34 PM   #44
Codie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young,Throckmorton & Shackleford counties

Priorities -

Some people change theirs after both marriage and again after children
Some people don't
Codie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 01:35 PM   #45
Trevor73402
Eight Point

I’ve enjoyed reading the different perspectives given here. Good discussion.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:36 PM   #46
droebuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County

Here is another situation to contemplate and is currently mine. My wife and I both enjoy hunting and do it almost every weekend of the season that we can. My daughter has no interest in shooting, hunting or fishing. She has been around it since birth and we thought it would just be a natural thing for her but as she gets older (fixing to turn 8) she has less interest in it every year. We have always tried to make it fun for her but we are finding harder this season than it has been before. She likes to go to the lease but it's not about the hunting it's all about the other things we do there that she likes (the hiking at a nearby SP, the campfires, the swimming hole in the summer). We have really wanted her to take more of an interest but it doesn't seem to be happening.
droebuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 01:37 PM   #47
fbchunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Thompsons

I’m 34 been married for 9 years, have a 7 year old son and almost 4 year old daughter. I lived for hunting growing up and until I got married. Got married and still hunted a ton. After we had kids I definitely slowed down. For me, I realized I didn’t want my life to be focused on hunting at the expense of anything else. I started focusing on a better relationship with God and tried to do what I felt he wanted me to. So I decided my wife and young child were first. I still hunted often but didn’t live for it like I did before. Now that my son is 7, we started hunting more again. He shot a doe last year at 6, and a doe, hog, and nice deer this year at 7 years old. But still, I’m just not going to live my life to hunt anymore. God first, then family for me and I don’t feel like he wants me to live For hunting anymore. My son plays baseball also, so that cuts into it as well. But, we still hunt together, and he loves baseball a little more than hunting. I wouldn’t miss his ball games to hunt for anything. No judging anyone else just explaining where I am at
fbchunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 01:39 PM   #48
TX_Hoghunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Harper, TX

I have been married to my high school sweetheart for almost 33 years. We have 3 girls. All of them hunt. For my 10 wedding anniversary I was hanging on the side of a tree in a swamp in Mississippi. What can I say they were rutting at the time. I think people make time for the things that they find important. Way to many parents are constantly putting their kids in some structured program where they never have a time to live.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 01:39 PM   #49
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

I no longer have a wife, and my son is grown, so not sure what my excuse is for not hunting as much....

On a side note, I have been dating a lady with 3 daughters. Between select sports like soccer, track, basketball, and volleyball she rarely has a weekend free of some kind of sporting activity. I guess I can understand it. Kids have so much more to do sports wise than when I was a kid, or even when I was raising my son.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 01:40 PM   #50
SharpStix
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mills County

I'm 39 with three kids (10, 4, and 2) and hunt about 10% of what I'd like to. Wife didn't come from a hunting/fishing family so she's clueless about what is a "normal" amount of time to spend in the field. On top of that I used to live 30 minutes away from my hunting spot so it was much easier for me to go hunt in the morning and evening and still be around during the day, I'm 2.5 hours from my spot now that's not possible. To sum it up, if it were just me then I'd probably be out every weekend from opener to closer but having a wife and children cuts down on me time exponentially. FWIW I look forward to the kids coming with me, the two little ones just aren't there yet.
SharpStix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top