X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily Bible Portion (Thursday)

Daily Bible Portion - 5 of 7
    "HE SENT"

(Weekly Reading>>Genesis 32:4-36:43, Obadiah 1:1-21, 1 Peter 1:9-2:12)

A Man

Who was this man Jacob wrestled with? We are taught it was Yahweh but no one has seen Yahweh, as Yahweh is Spirit. We are told in John 1:1 and in John 1:14 that the Word was Yahweh and that the Word [Yahweh] became flesh [Yeshua/Jesus] and dwelled among us. This man whom Jacob wrestled with till dawn was Yahweh in the “flesh,” Jesus/Yeshua Ha Mashiach/the Messiah.

The man [Yeshua] said, “What is your name?” “Jacob,” he answered. Then the man [Yeshua] said,

“Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with Yahweh [in the flesh – Yeshua] and with men and have overcome” (Genesis 32: 25-29).

Yahweh wanted Jacob to understand how His principles work before blessing him. Yahweh uses trials in our lives to elevate us to the purpose He has created for us so that He will be glorified in everything we do. The problem is, many believers do not understand or know how the principles in the Gospel work thus they do not believe them therefore do not know what their identity is in Him. Our biblical culture has forgotten that the names Israel and Jacob are synonymous. The two are one and the same. Consequently, believers do not recognize that when Scripture talks about Israel it is in relation to Jacob and the inheritance he received. Many believers have lost the understanding that we are part of Israel – not the "spiritual Israel" as some Christian churches teach, but are part of the physical Commonwealth of Israel. When believers do not understand the principles, they will have no basis or belief to substantiate being part of Israel, thus they will not relate to Jacob’s inheritance nor will they see that they are fully connected and included into the same Covenant and inheritance that was given to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob/Israel (Galatians 3:7-8, 29).

Jacob learned to surrender everything to Yahweh and what he gained in response was salvation of his soul. He came into a place of intimacy with the Messiah. The Day of the Lord had come upon Jacob/Israel. We cannot come away from a face-to-face encounter with Yahweh and not be changed forever. Jacob walked differently from that moment on, and we will too.

Malachi 4:2-3 “But for you who revere my name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings. And you will go out and leap like calves released from the stall. Then you will trample down the wicked; they will be ashes under the soles of your feet on the day when I do these things, says the LORD Almighty.”

“So Jacob called the place Peniel [meaning face of El], saying, ‘It is because I saw God/Elohim face to face, and yet my life was spared’” (Genesis 32:30).

Jacob Meets Esau
    (Genesis 33)

When day broke, Jacob looked up and there was Esau coming towards him with four hundred men. Jacob took his children and divided them into two groups among their mothers. He himself went on ahead and bowed down to the ground seven times as he approached his brother. But Esau ran to meet Jacob and embraced him; he threw his arms around his neck and kissed him. And they wept.

Note the difference between the two brothers at their meeting: Jacob presents a humble pastoral family type setting and comes before his brother as a shepherd, whereas Esau comes aggressively displaying his pride through a warrior type style. The contrast between the two was so great that it showed where their hearts were and the fruit of their walks. We never see Esau with flocks in Scripture, whereas Jacob is always with flocks and concerning over their care. Esau had no fruit of the Spirit whereas Jacob had a hundred fold fruit. The sense is that Esau was not interested in a walk with Yahweh, as he had become his own god, with his own kingdom and his own support system. By comparison, Jacob was genuine, pure of heart and stood before his brother in a pastoral setting totally reliant on Yahweh for His guidance and his covering in life.

Esau noticed the contrast, that behind Jacob were all these flocks and women and children, which he inquired after. As Jacob introduced his family, his wives and his children come and bow before Esau. Last to come was Rachel with Joseph. Benjamin was not born yet and was the only one who did not bow down to Esau.

Yahweh then had one more test for Jacob in that he still needed to amend the deceptive role he played earlier with Esau. When Esau inquired after all the flocks sent to him before Jacob’s arrival, Jacob shared that they were to find Esau’s favor. Jacob had sent these gifts before his wrestling match and heart deliverance with Yeshua. It is interesting to note that Jacob’s past was the one area the enemy was still able to tempt him in. We can see this at the presentation of these gifts, as they seemed to encourage Esau, which in turn initiated his invitation to Jacob that he and his whole family join him in Seir. Jacob in his answer carefully avoided committing to Esau’s request saying that his family would make their way but at a much slower pace according to the herds and children with him “until I come to my lord in Seir”. When we read Obadiah’s account of Edom we see Jacob used prophetic language here that would unfold in the future. After this encounter, Jacob and family continued their journey but in an opposite direction away from Esau (Genesis 33:14).

Not once did Jacob break his focus since first arriving in Padan Aram. He always cared for the sheep. Now on his return when faced with adversity we again see Jacob’s true character for his sheep, which reflected in the care he had over his family even to the extent of not driving them too hard for fear of weakening them. Jacob was unwavering because he built his faith on a relationship with the Eternal One (Olam Haba), the Rock of Israel - Yeshua. On the other hand, Esau built his life on the present seen world (Olam Hazeh) and trusted in his own ability to produce, which eventually amassed him a mighty army of warriors. So strongly was Jacob’s love for those in his care that he would even lay down his life for them. This is a reference to the Whole House of Israel (Jacob) who will be found outside among the Nations. A remnant will return being led by the true Shepherd of Israel, Yeshua, and restored back to the land at His appointed time and in His season. There may be temptations and tests along the way, but Yahweh protects His sheep by His Covenant promises, not leaving one flock behind until all are safely gathered in (Genesis 28:2; Matthew 18:11-14).

Micah 2:12 “I will surely assemble all of you, O Jacob, I will surely gather the remnant of Israel; I will put them together like sheep of the fold, like a flock in the midst of their pasture; they shall make a loud noise because of so many people.”

Matthew 15:24 “But He [Yeshua] answered and said, ‘I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel [Jacob].’”

John 10:14-16 “I [Yeshua] am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own. As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd.”

Genesis 49:24 “But his [Joseph] bow remained in strength, and the arms of his hands were made strong by the hands of the Mighty God of Jacob (From there is the Shepherd, the Stone of Israel),”

Romans 11:25-27 “For I do not desire, brethren, that you should be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own opinion, that blindness in part has happened to Israel [Jacob- the twelve tribes of Israel] until the fullness of the Gentiles [those from the twelve tribes of Israel who were scattered throughout the Nations/wilderness due to their not guarding over the Covenant] has come in. And so all Israel [all twelve tribes of Jacob/Israel – the House of Judah and the House of Ephraim/Israel] will be saved, as it is written: ‘The Deliverer will come out of Zion, and He will turn away ungodliness from Jacob; for this is My covenant with them [the Whole House of Israel/Jacob] when I take away their [Israel’s] sins.’”

Eventually Jacob will come to Seir. The prophet Obadiah pronounced Yahweh’s judgment against Edom, the descendants of Esau. The ultimate destruction would come from the House of Jacob, repaying the years of destruction exacted by the Edomites ruling the world.

Obadiah 1:18-21 “The House of Jacob will be a fire and the House of Joseph a flame; the House of Esau will be stubble, and they will set it on fire and consume it. There will be no survivors from the house of Esau. Yahweh has spoken. People from the Negev will occupy the mountains of Esau, and people from the foothills will possess the land of the Philistines. They will occupy the fields of Ephraim and Samaria, and Benjamin will possess Gilead. This company of Israelite exiles who are in Canaan will possess the land as far as Zarephath; the exiles from Jerusalem who are in Sepharad will possess the towns of the Negev. Deliverers will go up from Mount Zion to govern the mountains of Esau. And the kingdom will be Yahweh’s.”

continues tomorrow...
Working...
X