DIY Hornady Modified Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Hornady Modified Case

It’s pretty easy to Google and figure out the specs to make these. The drill bit is a size “L” but I just purchased a 9/32” from Home Depot. It’s just slightly smaller than the L but with a little cutting fluid and a sharp tap it’s not much problem. The tap size is 5/16 x 36 which I picked up on Amazon.

Drilled a 7/16 hole in the seam between 2 blocks of pine and clamped the case it in. No problem holding the case still while drilling out the primer pocket as long as you go slow with the drill on high so it doesn’t catch too big of a bite.

This is a 7mm-08 case (I could have bought one from Hornady) but I’m going to fireform them for 7mm-08 AI so these tools will come in handy once I have some cases formed to the chamber. All in all I have about $15 in the tools so all I need to make is 3-4 cases and it’s paid for itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems easy enough! Saves from having to buy a bunch of modded cases for those who reload a bunch of different calibers.

Comment

Yeah I made some as well works good.

Comment

Nice job OP

You can fireform ANY brass to your chamber for even better measurements based off your chamber and not a factory brass dimensions not just AI chambers.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
          Nice job OP

You can fireform ANY brass to your chamber for even better measurements based off your chamber and not a factory brass dimensions not just AI chambers.

Sierracharlie out…

Yes sir, that’s my plan even with my standard calibers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Those modified cases were one of the most important parts of my accuracy workup jobs when I was in the business. And, as sierracharlie338 posted a fireformed case from the rifle itself would be even better.

Comment

Working...
            X