Shooting sticks- hiking staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting sticks- hiking staff

This started with a thread asking to educate me on rifle bipods in "the other side of the ranch".

I took Blake's advise on shooting sticks. Since most of my hunting is spot and stalk, I wanted something that was useful when I was not shooting.

I made a couple hiking staffs from broken shovel handles. They also serve well for taking a swing in self defense!

I rip cut the bottom in half, and used a piece of hardware from my duck hunting cart in the parts can when I upgraded the axle. As it turns, it pulls the parts tight. I assume you can buy one on McMaster-Carr.

The top is cut on an angle so it only opens one side, and I sanded the V for the gun to sit in 1/4" wide and put rtv silicone. Rattle can oak leaves. I'm getting an O ring to slide on the bottom to hold the halves tight, if that fails I'll try paracord.

I have work in process pictures I could post if needed.

..... the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

You're ready for the ZA too!

Comment

Nice!! I have used 1/2" x 36" long dowel rods and a rubber band.

Comment

I like fiberglass driveway markers with some paracord tied in a clove hitch

Comment

great idea

I use fiberglass fence post and put rubber hose about 5" long on top of each by taking a 10" piece and splitting in half then sliding the to pole into the hose. I them reinforced the hinge with paracord. I put castration bands ever 6 inches on the poles to keep them quite. I drilled the ends and epoxied an archery field point in each end. I use it as shooting sticks, to beat down thorn bushes, hiking stick, even hold down on electric fence to cross. I have used it form here in VA all the way to 13,000 ft in CO on this years high country muley hunt.

Comment

That is really cool!

Comment

I wouldn't have thought there was something called "castration bands"- but I'm not livestock person.

μολν λαβ

Comment

Working...
              X