feeder light on steroids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

feeder light on steroids

I am tired of small solar powered lights around our house feeder. I am a novice when it comes to electrical stuff but know the basics on how to wire into a breaker box etc. My plan is to run some direct bury UF wire from the house to the feeder (150 yards) with a heavy duty timer so it will always be on from dusk until whenever. Im going to rent a trencher to get the wire as deep as I can so I don't hit it disking etc. However, I'm not sure how to wire the circuit down at the feeder end as I want 4 or so lights in separate trees somewhat far apart to light up a big area around the whole feeder. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated in terms of what type/gauge of wire I should use etc. Thank you in advance

No advice, but sounds like a cool plan.

Comment

Could you wire up some LEDs with a 12 volt gel battery and either motion switch or a dusk to dawn switch .you could bolt an ammo can to the feeder for the battery and electronics . You can install a separate solar panel to keep your battery charged. Just an idea

Comment

I use these -- 3 or 4 per feeder -- and can shoot hogs from 125 yds away with a Leupold 3-9 with heavy duplex reticle. Best solar powered lights I've found in 10 years of doing them.

Comment

If you are going to run all of that line, just go ahead and put up a big mercury vapor street light. That will light a big area. I would get it about 20 feet in the air. You could use drill stem to put it in the air. Wiring it would need to be done by someone with electrical experience, something I wouldn't attempt. Good Luck.

Comment

This seems plenty bright, and a lot easier

Comment

For what the trencher rental will cost, that Sniper unit can be had.

You can't build a comparable quality unit for what they're asking.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately - Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Outback77 View Post
                http://www.sniperhawglights.com/mobi...oductCode=EFL2

This seems plenty bright, and a lot easier
                Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
                For what the trencher rental will cost, that Sniper unit can be had.

You can't build a comparable quality unit for what they're asking.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately - Thoreau
                Thank you and I agree of course. With our Exterminator II feeder light you will light up a huge area and it comes with a remote that will work up to 300 yards away from the light. You can turn the light off/on, low, medium or high instantly or gradually turn it up or down with the remote. The light will run all night every night even if you have several days of cloudy weather. I have a customer that has one set up about 40 yards from his feeder and his cabin is 800 yards from the feeder and with the light on Medium, he has enough light to make the shot at 800 yards(He likes long range shooting). You can even mount the light up to 200+ yards away from the feeder and it will still light up your feeder with enough light to shoot when looking through a scope. It has 3 High powered LED heads on it and each is adjustable so you can aim them exactly to the spot you want and each is focusable so you can set the beam pattern exactly like you want so it doesn't matter if you mount the light 10 yards from the feeder or 200 yards you can set it so the beam pattern fit's your needs. I do a ton of night hunting hogs and I've had RED, Green and White feeder lights but now they are all(17) Red because I noticed not as much pig activity at the green and white ones and the hog activity instantly picked up when I switched to red. Yes, hogs will come into green and white lights but IMO, not as much as they will come into red lights. I've only killed 500+ pigs with lights so I a little more experience then most in this area. We also offer 10% off to TBH members, just shoot me a PM for the coupon code and I will send you one.

Here is a video of the feeder light on a hunt I did. The light was on medium power and I also used my bow light because my pin light was not working and the bow light helps me see my pins. The light will be brighter in person then it is on the video.
                [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrfeukH4cK4"]Hog hunting at night with the Exterminator II feeder light - YouTube[/ame]

Good luck hunting.

Comment

I would just buy a few of these and put them where you want. I have had one on a feeder for three years now with no issues. You can catch them on sale for under $30 and they are bright.

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Comment

Proud owner of 3 exterminator 2 feeder lights by SniperHogLights. Best there is hands down

Final Pursuit TV

Comment

Landscape down lighting runs on 12-24v delivers plenty lighting

Comment

Originally posted by The Texan View Post
                        I am tired of small solar powered lights around our house feeder. I am a novice when it comes to electrical stuff but know the basics on how to wire into a breaker box etc. My plan is to run some direct bury UF wire from the house to the feeder (150 yards) with a heavy duty timer so it will always be on from dusk until whenever. Im going to rent a trencher to get the wire as deep as I can so I don't hit it disking etc. However, I'm not sure how to wire the circuit down at the feeder end as I want 4 or so lights in separate trees somewhat far apart to light up a big area around the whole feeder. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated in terms of what type/gauge of wire I should use etc. Thank you in advance
                        Exterminator II Feeder Light is all I use and hard to beat in price and capabilities... A lot less expensive then running power anywhere... feeders, docks, piers, ponds, gates, barns, and storage buildings to name a few other options..
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Jason.Brooks12; 08-31-2016, 12:44 PM.

Comment

I just did the same as the OP wnted to do. I used a sub-soiler on my tractor to bury 100yds of # 12 direct burial romex to a feeder. Installed a 70 watt high pressure sodium fixture 18 ft above the feeder. It lights up a huge area. The deer come in like nothing has ever happened. It cost me about $130 for wire and light fixture. It has a photo eye and comes on at dusk and off at dawn. Nothing to mess with.
                          Last edited by sendit; 08-31-2016, 02:52 PM. Reason: added some pics

Comment

I'm keeping this in mind sendit! Looks awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by The Texan View Post
                              Texan, how big of an area are you trying to light? You may not really need 4 fixtures up in trees. You may be able to put up a piece of pipe by your feeder with a security light, or even a 250 watt flood up in a tree that will do just fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X