No announcement yet.

Enchanted Rock Antlerless Spike 11/9 -11/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In for the final hunt. I'm just thankful that I've been able to come here. I've never been inside the park. But have riden by several times on a bicycle when I was younger, and riding all the time. I also had 11 hrs geology as my science electives at university. And really enjoyed it. So, this trip has been awe inspiring to say the least!

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Finally, with just minutes to spare, I had 2 groups come in. But the mature does wouldn't eat. They were just to skittish and took the others with them. Then with less than 10 minutes to spare, I had a lone doe come in. And dropped her where she stood.

It's been a fun time for me. And I've enjoyed just getting to visit the park. And make some more new friends. I did get to meet and share a campfire with MntMike and his buddy. As well as a meet a few other people.

I'm not certain as to the final numbers yet. But will try to get a total in a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
        Finally, with just minutes to spare, I had 2 groups come in. But the mature does wouldn't eat. They were just to skittish and took the others with them. Then with less than 10 minutes to spare, I had a lone doe come in. And dropped her where she stood.

It's been a fun time for me. And I've enjoyed just getting to visit the park. And make some more new friends. I did get to meet and share a campfire with MntMike and his buddy. As well as a meet a few other people.

I'm not certain as to the final numbers yet. But will try to get a total in a few days.

Congrats! Good eating there!

Comment

Thank you Dave. [emoji846]

Comment

Congrats Mike. That's how you get full value out of a hunt. I figured when you didn't post early you had something on the ground.

Comment

Great shot Mike.

If’n you need help processing, I can bring my grinder and vacuum sealer , get it done twice as fast. I’m off for next 10 days.

Comment

Woohoo congrats Mike.

Comment

Congrats on the the success!

Comment

Thanks fellers. If you get a chance, make some reservations and take your family to hike the trails there.

Comment

Few pics. Second one I was standing in the road waiting for my ride.That's the summit of the dome, 800 feet to the base from where I was standing waiting for my ride.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211109_085838.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	24669076Click image for larger version

Name:	20211110_095759.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	24669077Click image for larger version

Name:	20211110_103155.jpg
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	24669078

Last edited by Texas Grown; 11-12-2021, 06:53 PM.

Comment

This is the same view as the second pic. I thought it was kinda cool that the moon and Venus aligned towards the dome on the right. Click image for larger version

Name:	20211110_182659.jpg
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	24669079

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post

It was great to finally meet you Mike and sharing the Campfire and the hunt at Enchanted Rock. A tougher hunt than I thought it would be, but I did manage to bring home a little meat. I will say the ride up to the blinds is a little rough, but some beautiful country. I was Hunting Blind #10 on the west side of the Park along Walnut Springs Creek. According to my OnX App, my Blind was at 1580 ft of elevation. First evening a group of 10 or 12 Hogs and pigs came in, and I decided to shoot one of the smaller pigs. They scattered on the shot and a blind across the road managed to grt one as well. The deer were there, but the hogs had spooked them enough that they did not come in till after legal shooting time.

Comment

Next morning saw zero deer and zero hogs. Second evening hunt I saw 2 doe at last shooting light, but was not able to get a shot. Next morning I saw no deer, but it was a nice morning to be out. Had a Fighter Jet buzz by that really woke me up.

Comment

Third evening again the deer showed at last light. I closed the deal on a lone Doe that came in with a shot to the neck with my 6.5 Creedmoor.

Comment

I guess I was expecting a Target rich environment which did not happen but that is ok. That is just hunting! Just the opportunity to hunt there was worth the price of admission. I was lucky enough to take a pig and a deer and put a little meet in the freezer. I agree with Texas Grown that I believe most of the deer were at the front of the park. However I think the stand they called the Buzzard Roost was the hot stand on this hunt. The guy there shot a a Doe and a 3-point buck. Another hunter saw group of Aoudad and took a shot at one coming down off the bluffs in that compartment.
                                Last edited by MtnMike; 11-12-2021, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X