Newborns and hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newborns and hunting

We just had our first kid. Beautiful baby girl. What have y’all done to get newborns a step ahead with hunting? Specifically to get them more of an advantage in public land hunting where points matter. It doesn’t look like you can apply for a kid in hunts in Texas till they are 8. Most states are similar. Some you can’t till they are 12. Can’t even get them a hunters education card till they are 9 from what I have read. Just wondering what I can do for this little girl to help her start building points and maybe be in a good unit one day.

Tagging

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Just start buying her points when shes able. It wont help when shes an adult. I think in most states if not all of them, your youth points arent valid once your an adult. Im in the same boat as you, i have a 1 year old daughter and ill just start applying for all the hunts i can for her once shes old enough. Hopefully she will kill some nice animals on good draws at a young age.

Comment

I also never youth hunted when i was a kid so im trying to figure it out as i go

Comment

Originally posted by MillsJake View Post
          I also never youth hunted when i was a kid so im trying to figure it out as i go
          Same. We hunted but not public land.

Comment

My daughter just turned 9 and I put her in on every category this year and will continue to. My 1 yr old boy will be entered at the legal age. I plan on starting witha bb gun, then some 22 stuff and move them up. Also plan on teaching the in's-n-out's such as safety, cleaning, sighting and basic stuff before they are actually hunting. Already started with my daughter.

Comment

Congrats on the new edition to the family everyone.

Comment

Like you said, every state is different. In Texas the kids can keep their points, but points are per category. If they never draw in a youth category they won’t get anything for points in a youth category once they age out.

Youth hunters may apply in the adult categories and to the best of my knowledge will keep their points until drawn (or rules change since we could be talking 20 years or more into the future who knows what could change). Once they draw the points are reset to zero so if your kid draws pronghorn as a teenager and can’t do the but for some reason those points are gone. Since pronghorn odds are pretty thin anyway you’re probably best taking the risk to apply for them once they legally can and get their free points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Army of Dad View Post
                  Like you said, every state is different. In Texas the kids can keep their points, but points are per category. If they never draw in a youth category they won’t get anything for points in a youth category once they age out.

Youth hunters may apply in the adult categories and to the best of my knowledge will keep their points until drawn (or rules change since we could be talking 20 years or more into the future who knows what could change). Once they draw the points are reset to zero so if your kid draws pronghorn as a teenager and can’t do the but for some reason those points are gone. Since pronghorn odds are pretty thin anyway you’re probably best taking the risk to apply for them once they legally can and get their free points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Well said

Comment

Start a lifetime hunting fishing license fund when u start the college fund.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BarW View Post
                      Start a lifetime hunting fishing license fund when u start the college fund.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                      This is a good idea. That license keeps getting higher and higher.

Comment

Earlier this month I registered my 8 year old daughter and added her to all my entries. I put her in for some youth hunts too just to start building points. There were a couple hunts (in south Texas) that said she was too young. Mine as well start early, if they are too young it will not let them enter.

Comment

Just take um with you if and then they want to go, and be prepared not to get much hunting done the first few years. Find things to keep it fun for them and not too boring. I think I started taking my youngest bow hunting with me when he was 3.5 or 4.5.

Comment

Working...
                          X