Texas Sized Hog Trap - Round 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pistol View Post
    I have a feeling there is going to be an update soon!

Ah ha! Get em!

Comment

Thank you for the teaser Pistol!

So on Monday I around 6 pm I checked my Covert Cam. And this is what I saw.

See those pigs on the left inside the trap? They are about to push the tire trigger and drop the gate. Fortunately, one of these 2 boars made it in before they did that.

Boom! Down it comes! They all darted to the left, but not back at the gate ... yet.

Now they slam into the gate! The one on the outside might have gone through an upper square in the gate or he may have been on the outside anyway. It also looks like a second black one may be slipping through. (I think I'm going to tie fine mesh wire to the gate to keep this from happening again.)

10 minutes later, they are still circling the pen but settling down. I counted 18 pigs.

More boar hogs circled all night.

The next morning, they are all bedded down in the grove of trees. See them on the left in the grove, in the center of the picture? All are happy and relaxed.

At 8:30 am, they come back to the feeder and corn hole to eat. They look pretty relaxed to me.

Then a few minutes before we showed up at 5:45, the feeder went off and they came in for their last meal.

One guy with a suppressed fire rifle took out the big pigs before the real panic set in and it started getting dark. The other 3 shooters started laying them down but soon ran out of bullets. Every gun was empty but there were 5 more pigs. We went back to the house and reloaded! My neighbor kids jumped into the pen and started hauling dead pigs out. Here's a few cool pictures of us cleaning up after the rest of the pigs were shot.

All in all, we gave 18 pigs new homes last night.

Trap has been reset and is now waiting on the next set of foster pigs.

Comment

One other change I'm going to make is I'm going to wire a metal pipe to the bottom of the gate to prevent it from being bowed. I might also try to weld a 1/4" flat bar in the middle for the same reason. The gate is getting pretty heavy, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
          One other change I'm going to make is I'm going to wire a metal pipe to the bottom of the gate to prevent it from being bowed. I might also try to weld a 1/4" flat bar in the middle for the same reason. The gate is getting pretty heavy, though.
          If weight is a concern I bet a 2x4 would work across the bottom. Love this idea for your trigger mechanism, might have to copy that!

Comment

Originally posted by offthemap View Post
            If weight is a concern I bet a 2x4 would work across the bottom. Love this idea for your trigger mechanism, might have to copy that!
            A 2x4 won't be much different. The trigger idea came from another thread on here.

I'm also going to add curved cattle panels to the other 3 corners. I got mighty nervous seeing them pile up in a corner.

Comment

Awesome

Comment

Congrats on the success!

Comment

Glad to see all the work paying off. You've got it going your way now.

Comment

Hell yes!

I like the 2X4 idea as well, turn it sideways if it's not stiff enough.

Comment

That’s fricken awesome!

Michael

Comment

Well done! That's a lot of porkchops.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

Comment

Very nice! what would you say the biggest boar weighed?

Comment

Oh, in there? I think the largest one was probably 130. I dragged one to the gate so I got a pretty good idea on him. The other one was the bigger one.

I've trapped a 300+ pounder in this trap.

Comment

Heck yeah, that worked out great. I love seeing your vision work out so good.

Comment

That is what is up.

Comment

Working...
                                X