Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-24-2021, 10:56 AM   #1
marshman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper & Orange County in TX, Carroll County in MS
Default Extra fees when buying a SxS

Looking at buying a new SxS from a local dealership. Never bought one before not even used. Heck Iíve never even bought a 4 wheeler new either. They added a lot of extra fees to the sales price and the amount seemed a bit excessive.
Assembly: $389
VIT: $21
Tax: $1015
Reg/Doc: $158
Freight: $750
Total: $2333

Does that seem about right or a bit high? This was for. Ranger 1000 that was on the lot. Not a special order or anything.
marshman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 10:59 AM   #2
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Assembly? Doesnt it come assembled from the factory?
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 10:59 AM   #3
COACH_EM_UP
Ten Point

Hunt In: Florence, Doss, Fredericksburg

I think it is a way for them to make their money back after they "discount" the price. I tell them that they can get rid of the fees or I walk. If they are willing to lose a $10-$15k sale over $2k in BS fees, they can pound sand. I can find another side by side elsewhere. Just my personal opinion.
COACH_EM_UP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 10:59 AM   #4
Codypatt1
Ten Point

Hunt In: SE OK

Everything is negotiable. I would reach out to Justin Spies from Lufkin Powersports on here
Codypatt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 11:01 AM   #5
pervis
Ten Point

U can get one out of state and avoid the tax. Or use ag exempt purposes. Try to negotiate w em? I bought a new 1k polaris highlifter back in 17. Its been a really good machine
pervis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 11:03 AM   #6
pervis
Ten Point

They do have to assemble them. They come in giant crates.
pervis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 11:21 AM   #7
ken800
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lampasas

Try to find a good deal on used. These things have become heinously overpriced IMO.
ken800 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 11:26 AM   #8
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:
Originally Posted by pervis View Post
They do have to assemble them. They come in giant crates.
Telling me more! Is uncrating and removing all the protective plastic and such considered assembly? Do they have to put the tires on the vehicle? Maybe add fluids? Trying to think what else wouldnt come assembled from the factory.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 11:41 AM   #9
CBHunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb County

I would just do the same thing I do when buying a vehicle...Tell them I'm willing to pay $X. However you want to get there is up to you.
CBHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 12:06 PM   #10
wellingtontx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Collingsworth County, Texas

You can choose not to pay them. I bet they reduce price.

They are not selling a unique product,,,,,,shop,,,,,wait if you have to for someone to get one in stock that they wont charge crazy add on fees.
wellingtontx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 12:19 PM   #11
Fargus
Ten Point

Hunt In: DeWitt

It may be different now, but when I bought my son's SxS several months ago, no one was budging off sticker or the fees.
Fargus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 12:23 PM   #12
Bowtech38
Pope & Young

I know with kubota they come needing some kind of assembly. Mostly rollbars and seats on the 4 seaters. Just rollbars and other models.
Bowtech38 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 12:29 PM   #13
rvd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
Telling me more! Is uncrating and removing all the protective plastic and such considered assembly? Do they have to put the tires on the vehicle? Maybe add fluids? Trying to think what else wouldnt come assembled from the factory.
There are several hours of assembly, I waited/watched while they put my last one together because I had to buy it out of town. That was in the fall and there were virtually none available to purchase in the state.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 12:35 PM   #14
bsills
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Maverick County

Always ask for an out the door quote.
bsills is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 12:45 PM   #15
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Menard & Kinney County

These fees help to keep the used price a smidge confusing to the buyer - ďhe wanted 11k for his year old one, heck I can get a new one for 12Ē
Only to later realize Msrp does not equal drive out and 12 turns into 14 down at the dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DaveC is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 12:48 PM   #16
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Freight and assembly definately to high.
Get several quotes from different dealerships so you have some bargaining information. Make sure your comparing apples to apples. I had about 6 dealers working on a price for me and hoffy and Tuttle were within a few dollars and hoffy had one delivered first. They are hard to come by now. Check with Justin spies.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 12:51 PM   #17
mdeaso
Four Point

Isn't all that stuff called the cost of doing business?
mdeaso is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 01:10 PM   #18
mjames76
Eight Point

Hunt In: Red River, Hardeman, Marion,Collin

Quote:
U can get one out of state and avoid the tax
Not anymore, they now collect the tax unless ag exempt.

I have bought 3 from Antler Motorsports. They only charged me the $150 doc fee and tax.

Last edited by mjames76; 02-24-2021 at 01:13 PM.
mjames76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 01:15 PM   #19
CaptainDave
Ten Point

We have purchased 3 UTVs over the years and those fees don't look much out of line. They really are pretty standard and are a way to back door a bit of the mark-up that was not included in the sales price. Most car dealerships do similar.

At least in my experience, pressing them to lower the Sales price to cover some of these costs is the best bet. As mentioned by a few, there actually is some assembly involved and it takes a bit of time even for an expert at the dealership. Also, due to liability reasons, they won't sell you an unassembled unit.

At the end of the day, the number at the bottom of the page is the only one that counts. If you like that number, it doesn't matter how you got there. I'd press them to lower the sales price, although, good luck expecting them to cover all of those fees, as they more than likely won't.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 01:19 PM   #20
Alphabets
Four Point

Can you buy one in the box and assemble at home?
Alphabets is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 01:48 PM   #21
twosixteens
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County Mostly Mack’s Creek Missouri on occasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphabets View Post
Can you buy one in the box and assemble at home?
Not without voiding the warranty I bet
twosixteens is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 02:02 PM   #22
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:
Roll cages, fluids, and a few other odds and ends. They definitely donít come out of the crate ready to roll.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 02:40 PM   #23
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
U can get one out of state and avoid the tax. Or use ag exempt purposes. Try to negotiate w em? I bought a new 1k polaris highlifter back in 17. Its been a really good machine

Be careful buying one using the Ag Exempt option... Specifically for SXS, UTV's and ATV's they must be 100% Ag use. If they check and you are using it for non-ag related operations, they can really stick it to you... This was changed several years ago because of the abuse of buying hunting buggies for "ag" use...

JUST LETTING YOU KNOW...
Some counties really check this stuff out too!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 02:42 PM   #24
thegrouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilson and San Saba County

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Be careful buying one using the Ag Exempt option... Specifically for SXS, UTV's and ATV's they must be 100% Ag use. If they check and you are using it for non-ag related operations, they can really stick it to you... This was changed several years ago because of the abuse of buying hunting buggies for "ag" use...

JUST LETTING YOU KNOW...
Some counties really check this stuff out too!
What counties do this? They are not licensed so how would anyone know if I paid taxes on it
thegrouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 02:48 PM   #25
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Quote:
I was told that they frame comes in two pieces with the majority of the parts already installed on both pieces but there are some misc parts, not sure if that is true or not. Assuming that their labor rate is $100 an hour I don't think it is out of the question that receiving, uncrating, any assembly, getting all the correct fluids in it and confirming functionality will take close to 4 hours. I would think that this would be wrapped up in the cost of doing business for dealers but I get that any automotive sales is pretty competitive so they are looking for any profit center.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 02:56 PM   #26
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken800 View Post
Try to find a good deal on used. These things have become heinously overpriced IMO.
We are our own worst enemy. What we have shown that we are willing to pay for entertainment, showing up our friends, convienence, the ability to go faster, being more capable so on and so on has created this issue. This goes for several things that range from SXS to trucks to going to the movies to going to a ball game to hunting in general.......... This list can go on and on.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:40 PM   #27
tigerscowboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer in CO,WY, TX, AK. Bass, Trout, and Reds.

They don't profit on these unless there is something along the lines of a $5-$10 admin fee:
VIT: $21
Tax: $1015
Reg/Doc: $158
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 04:55 PM   #28
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrouse View Post
What counties do this? They are not licensed so how would anyone know if I paid taxes on it

They have a title from the State. Taxes are reported on those as to what is or is not paid...
Old 02-24-2021, 04:55 PM   #29
famousunknown
Four Point

Bought a Pro FXT in November and the big city dealers had a lot of extra fees. Ended up buying one from a rural dealer and only paid tax and another $78 for title/doc fee.
famousunknown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 05:19 PM   #30
thegrouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
They have a title from the State. Taxes are reported on those as to what is or is not paid...
Yes, but there is not a database to search that I am aware of. Do you know anyone that has ever had issues with this?
Old 02-24-2021, 05:22 PM   #31
ken800
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lampasas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordnandez View Post
We are our own worst enemy. What we have shown that we are willing to pay for entertainment, showing up our friends, convienence, the ability to go faster, being more capable so on and so on has created this issue. This goes for several things that range from SXS to trucks to going to the movies to going to a ball game to hunting in general.......... This list can go on and on.
I guess I'm cheap, lol. I've shown no such thing. Heck, I'd drive a Ford F150 XL trim with plastic seats and floors if I got a good deal. It gets from A to B. $10K+ for a 400CC UTV that is a glorified 4-wheeler? Eff that. I'll walk first.
ken800 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 05:25 PM   #32
Charles
Pope & Young

What is VIT?
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 07:16 PM   #33
Hoyt Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Seems kinda high. I paid $400 for shipping and $200 for assembly.
Hoyt Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 08:07 PM   #34
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes, but there is not a database to search that I am aware of. Do you know anyone that has ever had issues with this?
Of course there is a database. The title has your address. Taxes paid are reported to the county. Any vehicle where no tax is paid is part of that database.
I know a farmer in the Katy area that got checked. He had operations in both Harris and Waller counties. Donít recall which county, but a Constable stopped him while he was driving on a FM road and gave him all kind of grief for driving on a public road. Guy actually wrote him a ticket. Of course he fought it and won but judge asked him if he was engaged in ag activities because county records showed the Ranger to be a tax exempt vehicle. So yes there is a database. From that time until he sold his farm, he always carried a bale of hay in the back of that Ranger. Iíve heard other horror stories but that is the one that I personally have first hand knowledge of because I was there when it happened.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:15 PM   #35
rvd
Ten Point

Quote:
My dealer ordered me an off road license for my new one, I didnít complain because the city of Rockport letís me drive it in town with that plate. Fwiw I did use ag exemption when I purchased it.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 08:17 PM   #36
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken800 View Post
I guess I'm cheap, lol. I've shown no such thing. Heck, I'd drive a Ford F150 XL trim with plastic seats and floors if I got a good deal. It gets from A to B. $10K+ for a 400CC UTV that is a glorified 4-wheeler? Eff that. I'll walk first.
I am with you. I haven't bought a truck since 2008 and I do not have a sxs. With that said I am jealous of the guys that have new trucks and sxs.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:18 PM   #37
thegrouse
Pope & Young

Interesting, unless he registered it in that county they would not have any record of it being ag exempt. The TDOT database that gets the info from the county tax assessors only reports on registered vehicles. I had farm tags on my trailer and never had any issues, but there is always that one LEO that might push it.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:34 PM   #38
shiner78
Ten Point

Hunt In: gonzales, county

Quote:
Install the roll bars probably.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
shiner78 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 08:36 PM   #39
Ksbowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma, Iowa

High demand low supply. Sellers market. I’ve been trying to buy one for nearly a year. I’ve decided to wait.
Ksbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 11:51 PM   #40
cj_sandman
Eight Point

Hunt In: San Saba

I’d raise hell over the freight charge. Setup would be the other one I’d be trying to negotiate.
cj_sandman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2021, 05:42 AM   #41
mudbone
Eight Point

Default Vit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What is VIT?
This is what they call the Vehicle Inventory Tax. This is the tax the dealer has to pay on the vehicles he has on the lot. Trouble is you are the one paying it for him. The same thing on trucks and cars also.
mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2021, 05:55 AM   #42
6.5 shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montell, Hondo, Laredo

You will pay MSRP plus most of those fees these days. If you don’t, the next person will.
6.5 shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2021, 06:54 AM   #43
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

I just have to say it...
Are they gouging?
Tony Pic is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2021, 08:02 AM   #44
dgilbert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co

Buy used, let someone else pay for that stuff. The has been some nice used ones FS this year.
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top