Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-28-2021, 11:12 AM   #1
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fairfield
Default Get your Duramax while you can

GM announced today that it is phasing out all sales of gasoline and diesel vehicles globally by 2035.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 11:13 AM   #2
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

i believe ford has said this as well.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 11:16 AM   #3
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

What the heck are us ranchers going to drive?
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 11:17 AM   #4
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghouse View Post
Horse and buggy, Cattle Drives will be held on I-35
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 11:19 AM   #5
dclifton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lindale Tx, Crowell Tx, pearsall Tx

Quote:
Guess well be driving around rebuilt single axle Petes
dclifton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 11:21 AM   #6
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:

What the heck are you worried about?! Remember you're too dang old to worry about what's gonna happen in 2035...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 12:18 PM   #7
slayr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Where are you seeing this? I’m sure I’m missing something, but only thing I can find is California banning sales of new gasoline and diesel vehicles in 2035.
slayr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 12:37 PM   #8
Walker
Ten Point

It will never happen. We don't have and in 15 years will not have enough electricity to charge all those electric vehicles. Not enough fans.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 12:38 PM   #9
jaspermac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper/Doole

Quote:
Toyota....built in Texas
jaspermac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 12:42 PM   #10
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

Lol, we will see. Save this post.

I think we could do it by 2035. But will we? I personally think so, and I think once the electric grid is built to handle it (Many places it already is), electric cars will take off. Ranchers will love it if they can get 400 miles out of a charge. More torque in an electric motor, quieter, not as hot as the trucks they have now.

I love my diesel pickup, and my hellcat, but I can see the writing on the wall. 15 years is a long time when you got folks like Elon leading the charge.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 12:47 PM   #11
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk, Trinity Counties

We had this discussion on bowsite a couple weeks ago. It’s my thought that we are not and will not be ready also. It’s also a fact that the greenies use emotion and not logic to come to their conclusions. They have no idea how much carbon based fuel is required to build and operate their “green” world.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 12:49 PM   #12
Walker
Ten Point

The greenness haven't let us built nuclear plants in years and now we can't build coal or ng plants. Like I said before, not enough fans.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:51 PM   #13
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

Diesel electric generator 1000 hp trucks!!!
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 12:53 PM   #14
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

BS
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 12:54 PM   #15
East6101
Four Point

Not gonna happen that soon
East6101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 12:54 PM   #16
Garbuster
Six Point

Hunt In: Cass,Marion,Delta, and Fulton Ill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
It will never happen. We don't have and in 15 years will not have enough electricity to charge all those electric vehicles. Not enough fans.
I agree. With the reduction of coal plants that we'll see in the next couple of years the amount of electricity produced will drop drastically. And wind and solar will not be able to replace it. They can't control the voltage spikes like a steam turbine can as well
Garbuster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 12:55 PM   #17
boy wonder
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My dreams!

Quote:
Banning meat is part of the plan.
boy wonder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 12:56 PM   #18
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

They are full of horse ****
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 12:58 PM   #19
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

Good thing I know how to drive a team.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 01:03 PM   #20
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita
Default California leading the charge

This video basically says any none DEF Diesel engine will be eliminated by 2023
And even heavy machinery/ dozers ect will be electric in 203?
https://youtu.be/B4oXj74dI7k
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 01:08 PM   #21
Walker
Ten Point

Typical California. They will depend on other states for their electricity like they already do.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:08 PM   #22
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Quote:
Tesla Cybertruck of course. The design just screams "hook a trailer full of cattle to me" doesn't it?
Lone_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 01:10 PM   #23
OldRiverRat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

its coming like it or not. the decisions have been made at the very top. you don't announce things like this to the world as a major market player without 100% buy in from the share holders. these commitments are being made by all the big guys from big oil and auto.
OldRiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 01:14 PM   #24
Walker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRiverRat View Post
its coming like it or not. the decisions have been made at the very top. you don't announce things like this to the world as a major market player without 100% buy in from the share holders. these commitments are being made by all the big guys from big oil and auto.
You're probably right. Dems never lie.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:18 PM   #25
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayr View Post
Where are you seeing this? Iím sure Iím missing something, but only thing I can find is California banning sales of new gasoline and diesel vehicles in 2035.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gm-sets...ly-11611850343

Old 01-28-2021, 01:35 PM   #26
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma (there's no deer there)

Quote:
Corporations say crap like this all the time because it attracts business and it's politically correct. That doesn't make it so.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 01:49 PM   #27
OldRiverRat
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakin7005 View Post
Corporations say crap like this all the time because it attracts business and it's politically correct. That doesn't make it so.

please give me an example and what business does GM have to gain from announcing this? if they stop making gas/diesel engines then they know they have to have the technology to replace it so i'm guessing they have done their homework. the thing is people think that the technology to run an electric car is some huge deal but it's not what it used to be. imagine trying to run a ship on electric. guess what that technology is coming to. our company is in a pilot project right now. i'm talking about big ships too. there is a ton of money aggressively behind these projects.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:00 PM   #28
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Quote:
please give me an example and what business does GM have to gain from announcing this? if they stop making gas/diesel engines then they know they have to have the technology to replace it so i'm guessing they have done their homework. the thing is people think that the technology to run an electric car is some huge deal but it's not what it used to be. imagine trying to run a ship on electric. guess what that technology is coming to. our company is in a pilot project right now. i'm talking about big ships too. there is a ton of money aggressively behind these projects.

I think there is a growing realization that ďthe fix is inĒ, and it doesnít matter anymore that the basis may not be legit. It has become the new money grab. The jump on the competition to drive infrastructure design (and capitalize on it as well), equipment design, materials and resource contracts, etc. are in a wide open all out sprint that is only increasing in intensity. By announcement, GM can position themselves to benefit from competition by European countries for new factories, or a piece of the pie in the supply chain.

This is not about the planet. This is about money. We could argue that countries with few O&G resources have succeeded in devaluing the USís vast O&G resources to even the playing field, but now Exxon, DOW, GM, etc are pivoting to get ahead of the new economy. There will be dust, but I fully expect the existing hierarchy of industrial and commercial power to be in place when it settles.

Old 01-28-2021, 02:09 PM   #29
geauxgruene
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Atascosa Co

Compressed Natural Gas (CNG)? Got lots here in Texas....
geauxgruene is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 02:11 PM   #30
texasdeerhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that we will never fully get away from the internal combustion engine and fossil fuels. There is NO way gas and diesel vehicles will be fully eradicated by 2035. I bet they can’t do it by 2050. Now, what I could see is a higher mixture of electric vehicles (some are already out there obviously), some propane or natural gas powered vehicles (those already exist), and there will still be gas and diesel vehicles.

For the average person in a big city that drives back and forth to work every day, I could see electric vehicles being viable. They have a set route, know how long it takes, and would know how much battery life they would need to get to work and home every day. The same can’t be said for most people living outside of a city or that travel a lot for work. And as mentioned before, we aren’t anywhere near having the infrastructure to support electric vehicles
texasdeerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 02:17 PM   #31
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
If you could snap your fingers today and have all electric vehicles happen where in hell would you get the kilowatts to charge all them. Use your head, it ainít gonna happen like that. Eventually maybe, but not in a few years. Remember Obamaís shovel ready jobs ? Same thing. Big talk.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:22 PM   #32
Spiderpig1776
Four Point

The people who have theses ideas don't actually have deal with the details or find solutions.
Spiderpig1776 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 02:24 PM   #33
doright
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby co.

If I could recharge as fast as I can fill up then I would not mind having an electric truck ,but I don't want to sit on the side of the road for hours waiting on a battery to charge.
doright is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 02:27 PM   #34
bowhunterhelm
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leander, my back yard

A lot of naysayers. It’s coming. I have and love my F250 diesel but I can see without a doubt in 15 years there will be electric trucks that will out perform diesel/gas trucks in everything. 15 years is a long time in this technology explosion we are living in. 15 years ago your phone was a Motorola Razr if you were lucky.
bowhunterhelm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 02:35 PM   #35
BRust
Eight Point

Hunt In: Around Lake Somerville & Brackettville

Has anyone seen the video of the charging station in California being run by a diesel generator? That's the new Green.............. I can't find the darn video now!!!
BRust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 02:40 PM   #36
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
A lot of naysayers. Itís coming. I have and love my F250 diesel but I can see without a doubt in 15 years there will be electric trucks that will out perform diesel/gas trucks in everything. 15 years is a long time in this technology explosion we are living in. 15 years ago your phone was a Motorola Razr if you were lucky.
The infrastructure that would need to be in place to charge several million vehicles is not in place and will not be in place in 15 years.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:41 PM   #37
OldRiverRat
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpitdog View Post
I think there is a growing realization that ďthe fix is inĒ, and it doesnít matter anymore that the basis may not be legit. It has become the new money grab. The jump on the competition to drive infrastructure design (and capitalize on it as well), equipment design, materials and resource contracts, etc. are in a wide open all out sprint that is only increasing in intensity. By announcement, GM can position themselves to benefit from competition by European countries for new factories, or a piece of the pie in the supply chain.

This is not about the planet. This is about money. We could argue that countries with few O&G resources have succeeded in devaluing the USís vast O&G resources to even the playing field, but now Exxon, DOW, GM, etc are pivoting to get ahead of the new economy. There will be dust, but I fully expect the existing hierarchy of industrial and commercial power to be in place when it settles.

I Agree completely
I actually rail against it daily in my industry but I canít ignore what Iím seeing and being told by the likes of ChevronTexaco, total, LyondellBasell, shell etc daily
People have a plan and itís going to require massive retooling and logistic changes and they are pushing forward and if you want to continue to do business with them then you better be looking at ďsustainabilityĒ too.

Itís the new religion and itís happening no matter how much I love my f250 or tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-28-2021, 02:43 PM   #38
OldRiverRat
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by doright View Post
If I could recharge as fast as I can fill up then I would not mind having an electric truck ,but I don't want to sit on the side of the road for hours waiting on a battery to charge.

So if you could pull into a gas station and simply exchange batteries would that work?
Donít think that isnít being looked at? Standard batteries.
Instead of gas stations they are simply battery exchange stations

Old 01-28-2021, 02:51 PM   #39
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
So if you could pull into a gas station and simply exchange batteries would that work?
Donít think that isnít being looked at? Standard batteries.
Instead of gas stations they are simply battery exchange stations

It better be a full service station.....I don't even like changing my battery every 5 yrs much less every 400 miles lol.

Just buy your Duramax in 2034 and you should be good until at least 2050
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 02:52 PM   #40
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by doright View Post
Thatís what Iím talking about. Just think of the time and money it will take to have charging stations built all over this country. The tech isnít here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
A lot of naysayers. Itís coming. I have and love my F250 diesel but I can see without a doubt in 15 years there will be electric trucks that will out perform diesel/gas trucks in everything. 15 years is a long time in this technology explosion we are living in. 15 years ago your phone was a Motorola Razr if you were lucky.

I would be right there with you, but I still say 15 years ainít gonna cut it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRust View Post
Has anyone seen the video of the charging station in California being run by a diesel generator? That's the new Green.............. I can't find the darn video now!!!
Thatís what Iím taliking about !
Old 01-28-2021, 02:54 PM   #41
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

One plus is I don’t think electric has a transmission to mess with
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 02:56 PM   #42
CEO
Pope & Young

I plan to look at electric when my current F250 is done for. My main concern is battery life while towing. Anyone know if you can charge while you are driving? Instead of an auxiliary fuel tank you can mount a generator to charge while you're moving
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 03:14 PM   #43
Lynn21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Tx

Guys- stop worrying about this. If this nut that we now have as president gets this to go through, the next president after him, which will probly have a brain, will get rid of it. It’ll never make it.
Lynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 03:21 PM   #44
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hebbronville

it's not surprising what corporations will claim in order to obtain billions in tax payer funded grants.
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 03:21 PM   #45
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

They have been saying this kinda crap since the Mid 90's, its called a fantasy pipe dream
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 03:26 PM   #46
txpitdog
Pope & Young

TxDOT is working on developing electrification infrastructure on the I-45 corridor. They have a working group and are pulling in information from fleet operators, OEMs, municipalities, technology vendors, etc.

Itís dumb, itís artificial, but the flow of money is real. Even if you hate it, follow it closely. The opportunity to get in on investing is now, and at worst to begin planning to mitigate potential future cost impacts in the future. Just donít get left behind and kick yourself later.

Old 01-28-2021, 03:26 PM   #47
flywise
Pope & Young

Article by Rush that where he uses a Canadian engineers data to make the point....it aint going to happen anytime soon.
The whole battery swap is interesting but that wont happen any time soon either
https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2...c-car-fantasy/
Old 01-28-2021, 03:28 PM   #48
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1974 View Post
it's not surprising what corporations will claim in order to obtain billions in tax payer funded grants.
Exactly right or at the very least what they will say to keep the lunatics off their backs
Old 01-28-2021, 03:32 PM   #49
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma (there's no deer there)

Quote:
Boeing and Airbus aren't on the "alternative energy" bandwagon. It's not even on their radar. You gonna get on an airplane with your family that runs on batteries? Gimmee a break.

bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 03:37 PM   #50
friscopaint
Ten Point

So instead of stopping to fill up and pee every 300 miles and back on road in 5-10 minutes you have to wait how long on a recharge ??? And if I'm already waiting in 5-10 minutes for one in front to finish gassing up now I get to wait 45 minutes to an hour for them then my turn......sounds great
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top