4 wheel drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texar View Post
    Great advice from all on driving around in these conditions.

I have a long wheel base 2WD Dodge 3/4 ton with a 5.9 and I have really had to learn where I can and can't drive it in normal wet conditions. It will literally get stuck on a cat ****. I do have a winch on my truck for those inconvenient situations when needed, which is very rare for the above mentioned reasons.

We got somewhere around 20 inches of the white stuff here and all of our vehicles are RWD so I was having a real come to Jesus meeting with myself on why I don't have a 4WD.

I simple don't need one until we get this stuff every 20 years.
    I did happen to have a pair of snow chains that I found in my dads stuff after he died and without them I would still not be able to get out of my driveway to this day.

My wife is a specialized RN and my son and I are LEO so I've been shuttling us all to work.

I still would like to have a 4WD one day but I'll say this.......

Snow chains are AMAZING!!!
    Snow chains are great, even better on a 4x4. I had a 99 dodge 5.9 2wd that I actually stuck on wet clover nosed up to a gate I had pulled up to and realized I had forgotten the key Was my last 2wd truck and my FIL still loves telling the story about the time he had to pull me out of wet clover.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
      Snow chains are great, even better on a 4x4. I had a 99 dodge 5.9 2wd that I actually stuck on wet clover nosed up to a gate I had pulled up to and realized I had forgotten the key Was my last 2wd truck and my FIL still loves telling the story about the time he had to pull me out of wet clover.

To funny....I feel ya though!! [emoji23][emoji1787]

Comment

Yes!

Comment

Lots of 2wd trucks that couldn't keep climbing icy hills around SM that ended up sliding off the road. I could basically idle by them in 4 high

Comment

I've had and still drive a 4X4 everyday since 2007 and I've never had it in 4 wheel drive.

Comment

Originally posted by HubCityThumper View Post
              Bingo

I

Comment

I've been driving in it every day since Sunday to make it to the power plant in 4hi and i would say it makes a big difference. If it's ice, stopping is the tricky part but i've been using my engine brake and running in tow/haul mode and it's made a huge difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                  If you know how to use it.
                  I agree with this statement. Learn how to use it, get out when it snows or ices over and learn the capabilities of your 4x4. They are not all created equal. I have a F250 FX4 and I have to drive it different than I do my TJ. The little jeep will perform well in the ice and snow if you drive it right. My F250 WILL NOT perform like the jeep will but will work in the ice and snow just not very well. It does not like mud, I swear it will get stuck in a car wash if there is mud on the floor. Go out when it is bad and test drive, just don't hit anyone. A parking lot is great if you don't get caught.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                    I've had and still drive a 4X4 everyday since 2007 and I've never had it in 4 wheel drive.

If I had $5 for every time I’ve put my 2015 in 4x4 I’d be able to pay cash for a new one lol.

But I use the 4 wheel drive a lot to keep from damaging roads anymore than I have too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Does 4 wheel drive really make a difference in driving on icy roads?
                      Nope. Not unless you have chains on your tires. Those saying Yes have never driven on ICE...snow is one thing, ICE is another and all 4wd does is add to the confusion as you're sliding all over the road.

Years of hunting in NM and CO taught us about tire chains. With a 4wd and chains you can actually drive, steer and stop on ice.

Can you walk on ice without slipping? Nope, not without spiked ice pads on your boots. Same thing with a vehicle.

Comment

I for the life of me don’t know why they even make a 2wd truck or tractor... I have no use for either. Never seen anyone say, “ I’ve had enough of this 4wd, I’m going back to a 2wd

Comment

Sure helps when you slide off into the ditch.

Comment

You guys that say 4wd is no better than 2wd I just don’t get it. It’s a game changer I pulled several cars and trucks up hills all week that couldn’t make it. Never spun the tires one time! Rear end never slid sideways at all. I’m sure if you acted like a idiot you could get in trouble in a hurry though.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                              You say that like it's something to be proud of.

Comment

Sure helps when you slide off into the ditch.
                                You're right, I should have put that in my post.

Comment

Working...
                                X