Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 10-16-2020, 07:31 PM   #1
SpankyWF
Four Point

Hunt In: Public land Tx, Colorado
Default Hagerman Nocona

Has anyone been out there this year? 800 acres, not huge for a public place. thoughts?
SpankyWF is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 10:22 PM   #2
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

PM sent.
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 07:45 AM   #3
firemedic731
Four Point

me and a buddy will be out there tomorrow morning
firemedic731 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 08:02 AM   #4
SpankyWF
Four Point

I may go check it out today. Mid day
Old 10-17-2020, 08:11 AM   #5
St59
Four Point

I didn’t know it was open to the public. I drive by it quite a bit and it looks good on maps
St59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 08:15 AM   #6
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

Spanky pointed out to me some major changes since it opened last year.

https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Hagerman/...s/hunting.html
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 08:57 AM   #7
firemedic731
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpankyWF View Post

Just donít blow it out, otherwise I wonít see anything in the morning haha. But seriously

All kidding aside, my buddyís been out there before, he said itís pretty swampy, 8-10Ē of water In some spots and he didnít jump anything. It is pretty small and there are a few people at least that hunt it, he found other hunter sign. I donít have high hopes, just going for the sake of going and trying my new stuff out before the real hunting begins elsewhere. Iv got some wild edge steps I gotta learn to use.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:50 AM   #8
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Brown Freestone Hill Navarro Counties

Its odd they call it Hagerman because its nowheres close... to Hagerman
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 01:10 PM   #9
Phorizt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public land

The GW out there told me when I visited to scout in Sept that 160 different people hunted it last year(most gun hunters) which was a lot more traffic than they were anticipating. They took a bunch of deer and they closed it to gun hunting after only 1 year. I saw very little deer sign but lots of hog tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phorizt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2020, 02:08 PM   #10
bossbowman
Ten Point

Thats crazy, seem like they almost do this as a case study to see how bad affects the deer population to allow rifle on small public land section like at unit #607.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:55 PM   #11
public
Four Point

Hunt In: Fannin, Houston, Grayson

Quote:
Pleasure meeting you Saturday. Tried to send you a PM.....doesn't seem to be working for me
public is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2020, 09:28 AM   #12
SpankyWF
Four Point

So they rules at the nocona unit say you can only hunt hogs in September and after general season. Is this in addition to being able to shoot them during the season. I don’t understand why they wouldn’t let you shoot a hog during deer season
Old 11-01-2020, 08:02 PM   #13
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
So they rules at the nocona unit say you can only hunt hogs in September and after general season. Is this in addition to being able to shoot them during the season. I don’t understand why they wouldn’t let you shoot a hog during deer season
Because you have to be drawn to deer hunt and an guys not drawn are cheating saying they are hog hunting when they are really deer hunting. They did a similar thing at Lavon corp land, theres no deer hunting allowed there because of a smaller population there but this results in some monster bucks there, after multiple poaching incidents there they just changed to rules to where you can't bow hunt for hogs during deer season just Feburary to September.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:53 PM   #14
Phorizt
Eight Point

It isnít a draw area.

Old 11-03-2020, 04:37 PM   #15
SpankyWF
Four Point

I’m talking about the Nocona Unit. It’s public now 822 acres..... wait forget I said anything...no public land anywhere

Last edited by SpankyWF; 11-03-2020 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:54 AM   #16
Danny_DeerVito
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Public Lands
Default Advice?

Hello all, Iím brand new to archery, deer, and public land hunting. Didnít grow up hunting deer but trying to expand my hunting experience and spend more time outdoors.
This section of public is one of the closest to me, being in the northwest DFW area (LBJ Grasslands is closest but the volume is a bit overwhelming for a beginner). Would yíall say this is a good place for a newbie to get some experience, maybe run into some deer and/or hogs? Or should I spend my time elsewhere?
Looking forward to learning as much as I can from you experienced folks, and hopefully getting my first deer sometime soon!

Blessings, Danny_DeerVito
Danny_DeerVito is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2020, 08:18 AM   #17
firemedic731
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_DeerVito View Post
Hello all, Iím brand new to archery, deer, and public land hunting. Didnít grow up hunting deer but trying to expand my hunting experience and spend more time outdoors.
This section of public is one of the closest to me, being in the northwest DFW area (LBJ Grasslands is closest but the volume is a bit overwhelming for a beginner). Would yíall say this is a good place for a newbie to get some experience, maybe run into some deer and/or hogs? Or should I spend my time elsewhere?
Looking forward to learning as much as I can from you experienced folks, and hopefully getting my first deer sometime soon!

Blessings, Danny_DeerVito
Well, for being a small unit, it is still big enough to be exhausting. We did a 5 mile scouting trip a few weeks ago and it kicked my butt. Its a brand new unit, this is only the second year its been open to my knowledge. That's good, and bad. There aren't many clear trails to follow, so most of the walking is bush whacking it through waist/chest high fields. There is only one legal access point, as its surrounded by private land, that's both good and bad as well. It keeps others from going to some spots, and that may include you if you aren't willing to go there. But, we also didn't find any cameras, tree stands, bait piles, or trail markers. The only other hunter sign we saw was a boot print in the creek bottom, but, several people had signed in on the sing in sheet at the access point recently, so it does get hit. Being archery only now probably helps a lot on the hunting pressure. Fair warning, we did find several cotton mouths, so be careful especially around the creeks. As with any unit, there is sign for both pigs and deer. Wallers, scat. Didn't find any spectacular sign though, not a ton of big rubs or rubs at all, not many scrapes or anything crazy. The first trip is always the hardest, once you figure it out it does get easier, I plan on giving it several more attempts. However, on the scale, I wouldn't say that it was an easy unit, but, what public land unit is easy?
Old 11-07-2020, 11:09 AM   #18
Danny_DeerVito
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic731 View Post
Well, for being a small unit, it is still big enough to be exhausting. We did a 5 mile scouting trip a few weeks ago and it kicked my butt. Its a brand new unit, this is only the second year its been open to my knowledge. That's good, and bad. There aren't many clear trails to follow, so most of the walking is bush whacking it through waist/chest high fields. There is only one legal access point, as its surrounded by private land, that's both good and bad as well. It keeps others from going to some spots, and that may include you if you aren't willing to go there. But, we also didn't find any cameras, tree stands, bait piles, or trail markers. The only other hunter sign we saw was a boot print in the creek bottom, but, several people had signed in on the sing in sheet at the access point recently, so it does get hit. Being archery only now probably helps a lot on the hunting pressure. Fair warning, we did find several cotton mouths, so be careful especially around the creeks. As with any unit, there is sign for both pigs and deer. Wallers, scat. Didn't find any spectacular sign though, not a ton of big rubs or rubs at all, not many scrapes or anything crazy. The first trip is always the hardest, once you figure it out it does get easier, I plan on giving it several more attempts. However, on the scale, I wouldn't say that it was an easy unit, but, what public land unit is easy?
A lot of helpful information, thank you very much!!
I have no problem putting a lot of miles on the boots and trying to get to the harder-to-reach spots. Really just looking to expand my knowledge of deer and public land hunting. Any sightings or opportunities are just a bonus.

Does anyone know how strictly enforced the ďno campingĒ rule is? This spot is about 1.5hrs away from me, so itíd be nice to just sleep in the back of my truck for a night or two instead of driving 3 hours for one day.
Old 11-07-2020, 11:37 AM   #19
firemedic731
Four Point

Quote:
A lot of helpful information, thank you very much!!
I have no problem putting a lot of miles on the boots and trying to get to the harder-to-reach spots. Really just looking to expand my knowledge of deer and public land hunting. Any sightings or opportunities are just a bonus.

Does anyone know how strictly enforced the ďno campingĒ rule is? This spot is about 1.5hrs away from me, so itíd be nice to just sleep in the back of my truck for a night or two instead of driving 3 hours for one day.
That I do not know. You might be able to pull off sleeping in the truck, I just wouldn't go setting up a tent and starting a camp fire. There isn't really anywhere to park let alone camp. Its literally a one lane dirt road with fence and head high grass on both sides, there isn't anywhere to camp even if you wanted too. I think you can find a hotel or other camp sites/RV parks nearby though.
Old 11-07-2020, 12:36 PM   #20
Danny_DeerVito
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
That I do not know. You might be able to pull off sleeping in the truck, I just wouldn't go setting up a tent and starting a camp fire. There isn't really anywhere to park let alone camp. Its literally a one lane dirt road with fence and head high grass on both sides, there isn't anywhere to camp even if you wanted too. I think you can find a hotel or other camp sites/RV parks nearby though.
Much appreciated. Good point, looks like some campsites around Lake Nocona. Not exceptionally close, but Iíll take 30 minutes over an hour and a half.
Old 11-07-2020, 05:43 PM   #21
firemedic731
Four Point

Quote:
Much appreciated. Good point, looks like some campsites around Lake Nocona. Not exceptionally close, but Iíll take 30 minutes over an hour and a half.
Dont forget to print and sign the tear off waver sheet to keep on your person. They have a book at the front, but it was out of sheets when we went, and I dont know how often they refill the binder.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:53 PM   #22
bossbowman
Ten Point

I thought they went to a smartphone app to sign in/out
Old 11-11-2020, 05:05 PM   #23
Phorizt
Eight Point

there was a book to sing in when I went by there 2 months ago.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:13 AM   #24
TradHunter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
I thought they went to a smartphone app to sign in/out

Yes, My Texas Hunt Harvest app. You can sign in using the app.
TradHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2020, 10:14 PM   #25
Danny_DeerVito
Nubbin' Buck

I used the app and book just to cover my bases.
Still need to print and sign the regulations/waiver sheet as they have yet to refill them in the sign in binder.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:18 PM   #26
firemedic731
Four Point

Well, I went to check my camera and someone broke the lock and pried it open and stole my SD card out of it.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:49 PM   #27
Danny_DeerVito
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Well, I went to check my camera and someone broke the lock and pried it open and stole my SD card out of it.
Ah yes, the great joys of public. Well at least they didn't just take the camera. I've had that happen before on some different public land.

Gotten to the point where I never set a camera up unless I know it's way off the beaten path, and even then I check it at least once a week and carry a bunch of extra cards.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:52 PM   #28
bossbowman
Ten Point

LOL at least they left your cam
Old 11-23-2020, 04:08 PM   #29
firemedic731
Four Point

I mean itís not like I put it on the main trail by the gate. It was a mile and half back in, above head high in a bedding area Cable locked to the tree. They couldnít cut the cable but managed to pry the plastic open and brake the latch enough to get the SD card out. Pretty disappointed, it was on a good trail with rubs going into the bedding area, someone got some nice pictures...
Old 11-23-2020, 04:31 PM   #30
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Thumbs down

Quote:
Who are these dang people??? Do they not understand that it is not their camera? Karma or whatever truly needs to be REAL!!!
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2020, 09:28 PM   #31
Danny_DeerVito
Nubbin' Buck

Well against all odds, I managed to get it done this weekend. Took the first deer of my life on Sunday morning, big mature doe at 15 yards.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:49 PM   #32
firemedic731
Four Point

Quote:
Well against all odds, I managed to get it done this weekend. Took the first deer of my life on Sunday morning, big mature doe at 15 yards.
Congrats!
Old 11-30-2020, 09:52 PM   #33
low_tec
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas County

Quote:
Congrats, post up some pictures
low_tec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2020, 10:07 PM   #34
Danny_DeerVito
Nubbin' Buck

Tried adding one to the first post, but it kept giving my fits so I went without

Last edited by Danny_DeerVito; 11-30-2020 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:33 PM   #35
firemedic731
Four Point

Quote:
Tried adding one to the first post, but it kept giving my fits so I went without
I had a little one antlered buck, he was broke off, came right in to the base of my tree and got a pass. Havenít seen the big boy yet.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:07 AM   #36
Danny_DeerVito
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
I had a little one antlered buck, he was broke off, came right in to the base of my tree and got a pass. Havenít seen the big boy yet.
Think I saw the same little guy mid-morning on Saturday. Being that I was out there for some meat and my first kill he may have not been so lucky if he hadnít kept his distance from me lol.
Besides him and the doe I was fortunate to take, my buddy and I only saw one other small 8. Hard to tell at times if he was legal or not, but never got close enough where we had to make that decision.
Worth noting that the 8pt was following around the doe I took, but didnít see him until a few minutes after my shot. Just wasnít passing up my first shot opportunity on an old doe.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:34 AM   #37
Danny_DeerVito
Nubbin' Buck

Finally managed to get the images working, had to resize it.
Being by myself, could only take some pictures like this. Not any good references to judge the size, but it felt like she was around 100-110lbs after field dressing.
Double lung and clipped the heart, ran less than 80yds and died in the creek.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:10 PM   #38
firemedic731
Four Point

Quote:

Finally managed to get the images working, had to resize it.
Being by myself, could only take some pictures like this. Not any good references to judge the size, but it felt like she was around 100-110lbs after field dressing.
Double lung and clipped the heart, ran less than 80yds and died in the creek.

nice shot! ahhhh the ole creek... walking that sand has kicked my butt many times. After the last trip my calves hurt for 3 days. how did you get her out? I brought my meat hauling pack, was planning on quartering it in the field and packing it out if I get one.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:31 PM   #39
Danny_DeerVito
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
nice shot! ahhhh the ole creek... walking that sand has kicked my butt many times. After the last trip my calves hurt for 3 days. how did you get her out? I brought my meat hauling pack, was planning on quartering it in the field and packing it out if I get one.

Itís definitely quite the workout, always gets my hips more than anything.
Typically went out there by myself and had the same plan, packing out the pieces.
But had a buddy out there hunting also this time, so we strung her up over a 1.5-inch thick ďlogĒ and carried her out, then came back for our gear. All-in-all about 4hrs to field dress and get everything to the gate (from about 1.5 miles in).
I might invest in a little sled for next season, probably the best option for traveling through sand and all that tall grass.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:12 PM   #40
firemedic731
Four Point

Quote:
Itís definitely quite the workout, always gets my hips more than anything.
Typically went out there by myself and had the same plan, packing out the pieces.
But had a buddy out there hunting also this time, so we strung her up over a 1.5-inch thick ďlogĒ and carried her out, then came back for our gear. All-in-all about 4hrs to field dress and get everything to the gate (from about 1.5 miles in).
I might invest in a little sled for next season, probably the best option for traveling through sand and all that tall grass.

We must be hunting the same area... trying not to plaster the info all over the internet though lol. But I ran into a guy at the gate and he said he talked to the game warden, said everyone hunts that area too. Thought it was a little harder to get to and not many people would go that far back but apparently I was wrong. Thatís where my camera was that got broken into. I was looking at the hawk crawler cart, but I think even that would still be worse than packing it out. Maybe look at the jet sled.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:14 PM   #41
firemedic731
Four Point

But hey, congrats on the doe, glad it wasn’t a buck one less hunter to worry about haha kinda stinks that it’s a one deer county but I’m getting to the point I need meat so I might stop passing on deer and start letting arrows fly soon.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:34 PM   #42
Danny_DeerVito
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
We must be hunting the same area... trying not to plaster the info all over the internet though lol. But I ran into a guy at the gate and he said he talked to the game warden, said everyone hunts that area too. Thought it was a little harder to get to and not many people would go that far back but apparently I was wrong. Thatís where my camera was that got broken into. I was looking at the hawk crawler cart, but I think even that would still be worse than packing it out. Maybe look at the jet sled.

Yep the more people I meet out there, the more I realize almost everyone is going in there at least a mile.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:44 PM   #43
Danny_DeerVito
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
But hey, congrats on the doe, glad it wasnít a buck one less hunter to worry about haha kinda stinks that itís a one deer county but Iím getting to the point I need meat so I might stop passing on deer and start letting arrows fly soon.

Much appreciated! Yeah I figured Iíd go ahead and get out of yíallís way lol.
Given what Iíve heard about how hard it was hunted last year, probably gonna be better in the long run that itís just one deer.
Good luck the rest of the season, interested to see if anyone closes the deal on the big guy in there.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:51 PM   #44
Worksalot
Ten Point

Hunt In: The woods

Be very careful if you drive north of Nocona to where the turn off to Lake Nocona is at. There’s a yellow flashing light on the north and south approach. People sitting at the stop sign will pull right in front of oncoming traffic. There have been some really bad wrecks there. I’ve had numerous people whip out in front of me while I was pulling long trailers.
Worksalot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2020, 11:28 AM   #45
Danny_DeerVito
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksalot View Post
Be very careful if you drive north of Nocona to where the turn off to Lake Nocona is at. Thereís a yellow flashing light on the north and south approach. People sitting at the stop sign will pull right in front of oncoming traffic. There have been some really bad wrecks there. Iíve had numerous people whip out in front of me while I was pulling long trailers.

I would camp at one of the parks on the lake and that interchange always made me nervous. So difficult to see any traffic coming from either direction, having a hill just north of the light and a turn in the road just south.
Itís a little easier at night when you can use headlights to judge it, but I would still always accelerate hard out of that turn just in case.

Old 12-03-2020, 08:44 PM   #46
merlin
Ten Point

Congrats on the kill!
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top