Lake Meredith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chastings77 View Post
    Hey coldgas, I talked with the BLM, they were at the Fair. We can bow hunt crossbar anytime we want, you just have to go into their office in Amarillo and let them know when you are going. I am going to check it out sometime this year for sure!

I hunted sunup to sundown last saturday, hiked in from plum creek towards evans. Made it in 3 canyons, tons of deer but most of them were not in the canyons. Very hard stalks for me and I was reminded how rough it is out there!
    Good luck to you! Let me know how it goes.

Comment

I'm planning on making my first trip to LM this year. I called the office and had them mail me info. They sent me 2 maps that have contradicting information on them. Can someone tell me which one is correct as far as there being unpaved roads through Devils, Big and Saddle Horse canyon?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by chastings77 View Post
        Hey coldgas, I talked with the BLM, they were at the Fair. We can bow hunt crossbar anytime we want, you just have to go into their office in Amarillo and let them know when you are going. I am going to check it out sometime this year for sure!

I hunted sunup to sundown last saturday, hiked in from plum creek towards evans. Made it in 3 canyons, tons of deer but most of them were not in the canyons. Very hard stalks for me and I was reminded how rough it is out there!
        Me and a couple of buddies hiked in to scout the Cross Bar one year. I talked with the office and the head ranger over the place. He said he saw most activity on the far Southwest corner/side which of course is the hardest to get to. When we went it was covered with weeds and the river was high so we couldn't cross. We had to hike a little over a mile just to get to the boundary fence. We only made it down the furthest east canyon before we had to turn back I think it was 9-10 miles there and back. I am not sure if things are the same but we had to send them a copy of our DL (just a paper copy from a copy machine) and the day we wanted to hunt. They sent us a day pass which was like a business card. You could only get a one day pass and once a year you could get a pass for 2 days in a row. There was no camping on the place and you were not supposed to be on there after dark but I am sure animal recovery and getting off a little after dark wouldn't be a high end offense. It seems like a fun place to hunt but a crap load of work for not much time to hunt.

PM me if you want maps and such.

Comment

I know most of us on here are pretty ethical and law abiding hunters but just incase someone wants to cut a corner I figured I would throw this out there. If you are hunting Meredith and hunt the north side ANY WHERE from west of Plum Creek to Martins Canyon including Evans Canyon and all areas in between the ranch bordering to the north of that area has new land owners and they are freaking SERIOUS about prosecuting trespassers and poachers. I mean SERIOUS so even if you are just hopping the fence to shave off a little bit off of your hike DO NOT do it. If they catch you it won't be your best day of hunting I promise you.

Comment

Originally posted by DuramaxDude View Post
            I know most of us on here are pretty ethical and law abiding hunters but just incase someone wants to cut a corner I figured I would throw this out there. If you are hunting Meredith and hunt the north side ANY WHERE from west of Plum Creek to Martins Canyon including Evans Canyon and all areas in between the ranch bordering to the north of that area has new land owners and they are freaking SERIOUS about prosecuting trespassers and poachers. I mean SERIOUS so even if you are just hopping the fence to shave off a little bit off of your hike DO NOT do it. If they catch you it won't be your best day of hunting I promise you.
            Hand get caught in the cookie jar?

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
              Hand get caught in the cookie jar?
              Nope but you could say the info comes from multiple very good sources.

Comment

Nope but you could say the info comes from multiple very good sources.
                10-4

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
                  I'm planning on making my first trip to LM this year. I called the office and had them mail me info. They sent me 2 maps that have contradicting information on them. Can someone tell me which one is correct as far as there being unpaved roads through Devils, Big and Saddle Horse canyon?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                  There are roads in Big Canyon and Saddle Horse. The one in saddle Horse was washed out last year but was still passable. The road into Devil's Canyon from Big Canyon is washed out but you can get close and it's an easy hike in.

You can only get to the roads by crossing the river at Mullinaw Crossing. The usually open the gate to the river crossing the Monday after opening weekend of mule deer season. It will be crowded as hell that week of Thanksgiving. It's usually not to crazy the week after Thanksgiving but still lots of traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by fishanhunt View Post
                    There are roads in Big Canyon and Saddle Horse. The one in saddle Horse was washed out last year but was still passable. The road into Devil's Canyon from Big Canyon is washed out but you can get close and it's an easy hike in.

You can only get to the roads by crossing the river at Mullinaw Crossing. The usually open the gate to the river crossing the Monday after opening weekend of mule deer season. It will be crowded as hell that week of Thanksgiving. It's usually not to crazy the week after Thanksgiving but still lots of traffic.
                    Thanks for the info! I'm planning on getting there the Friday after thanksgiving and staying until the following Wednesday.
                    The reason I was asking about the roads is I'm wanting to stay as far away from road traffic as possible.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fishanhunt View Post

So on the map where it says no vehicles allowed downstream passed Chicken Creek is that referring to all vehicles or just the off road vehicles from Rosita Meadows?? Where it says 4x4 is recommended at Mullinaw Crossing contradicts the no vehicles down stream of chicken creek message on the map.

I crossed the Canadian last week west of Meredith and it was running as high or higher than I have seen it in 3 years. They say they plan on releasing water from Ute maybe this week. If any guys are planning a trip and crossing the river any time soon you consider that.

Getting deeper and deeper in recent rainy months, Lake Meredith could soon receive an injection of even more water from New Mexico. Rains pushed Ute Lake above the edge of Ute Dam on Friday, sendin…

Comment

So on the map where it says no vehicles allowed downstream passed Chicken Creek is that referring to all vehicles or just the off road vehicles from Rosita Meadows?? Where it says 4x4 is recommended at Mullinaw Crossing contradicts the no vehicles down stream of chicken creek message on the map.

I crossed the Canadian last week west of Meredith and it was running as high or higher than I have seen it in 3 years. They say they plan on releasing water from Ute maybe this week. If any guys are planning a trip and crossing the river any time soon you consider that.

http://amarillo.com/local-news/news/...-lake-meredith
                        I believe the no vehicles downstream passed Chicken Creek is referring to ATV traffic coming from Rosita. There used to be a fence at Chicken Creek that crossed the river but I don't know if it's still there or not. ATV'S aren't allowed east of Chicken Creek. The river crossing at Mullinaw basically gives you access to the roads that the oil and gas companies use on the north side of the river.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Well to put it shortly I didn't get it done. I saw a ton of deer in the few days I was there, unfortunately every one of them was a muley doe except for one buck on the other side of a fence. I had camped in blue west and spent my first few days in martin's die canyon before moving on to evans. All I can say is that down in the canyons is thick and tall and the only thing you can really see is the edges of the canyon, especially if they are bedded down.

Comment

Originally posted by jvela23 View Post
                            Well to put it shortly I didn't get it done. I saw a ton of deer in the few days I was there, unfortunately every one of them was a muley doe except for one buck on the other side of a fence. I had camped in blue west and spent my first few days in martin's die canyon before moving on to evans. All I can say is that down in the canyons is thick and tall and the only thing you can really see is the edges of the canyon, especially if they are bedded down.
                            I go up there every year to duck hunt. I usually hunt right around Blue West. I still own a house in Fritch. It's tough deer hunting for sure.

Comment

Was the boat ramp at blue west usable?

Comment

The boat ramp still wasn't usable when I left.

Comment

Working...
                                X