Thoughts on this rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DuramaxDude View Post
    I agree with Cajun. That 1:8 twist is a pretty slow twist so it would work best with your heavier grain bullets. So the heaviest thing you could find to shoot out of it the better. If you shoot a lot of lighter grain bullets it will probably wear the barrel out faster. The Ruger American line of rifles even though they are budget rifle’s are pretty accurate. There’s a lot of good reviews floating around about them. I can’t say that I have seen one with a stainless barrel and a blue action. The normal twist rate for a 22–250 is 1:12 or 1:14 Since it is a smaller faster bullet.
    Actually it's a pretty fast twist. Most factory Remington's are 1:14.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DarrellS View Post
      Actually it's a pretty fast twist. Most factory Remington's are 1:14.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
      LOL yeah I always look at that backwards. I think better twist for slower heavier bullets. Like fat guys need more twist and more help lol.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
        Better not pass on it if you want it. I've killed several with that caliber.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I just bought it. Why not, right?!?!. I have a new Leupold I can slap on it. We’ll see !

Comment

Here is an interesting bit of information about that rifle. It was a special run made for Whitaker's Guns by Ruger. Here is a link to the thread on 24hrcampfire.

Well, they listened! Ruger did us an exclusive run of 22-250's with a 1 in 8" twist. They notified me a while back, but I didn't have any production dates. I received notification telling me they were ready to ship while I was on vacation. They came in today... Here are the specs...

Comment

Originally posted by breadman View Post
            this x2 , as far as the gun itself I have the 223 and 300blk and very happy with them. and your not gonna beat that price.
            Yup...what he said. Great price.

Comment

Buy it....

Comment

You deserve it.... treat yo self.

Comment

Great if handloadimg for it. No real advantage for factory ammo. 60gr will likely shoot well but 69-75’s would shine in handloads. That’s a good price for the Ruger so ya did good.

Comment

This gun store isn’t too far away, decided to make a trip down and check it out and walked away with one of these rifles.

Now to pick up heavy .22 bullets, brass and does and start working up a load.

Thanks for the heads up on this deal!

Comment

Just picked mine up from the FFL a couple of hours ago. Scope mounted, bore sighted, and, shooting it tomorrow

Comment

^^You shooting factory ammo or rolling your own?

Comment

Originally posted by aggie_archer View Post
                          ^^You shooting factory ammo or rolling your own?

I bought 3 boxes of different 55 gr factory ammo today, and, I’ll order some online that are 60 and 64. When I get most of that shot up I’ll start reloading the empties with some heavier stuff to try

Comment

Did you get a chance to shoot it this weekend? When you start loading for it, what bullets do you plan on loading with? I've been looking around for heavier 22 cal hunting bullets if I end up snagging one of these rifles.

Comment

I’m looking at loading either the Sierra 77gr tipped match king bullets or the Berger 77gr OTM tactical bullets.

Comment

Originally posted by Rswan13 View Post
                                Did you get a chance to shoot it this weekend? When you start loading for it, what bullets do you plan on loading with? I've been looking around for heavier 22 cal hunting bullets if I end up snagging one of these rifles.

I just tried some cheap 55 gr Herters and Fiocchi. Both grouped about an inch or so off a bag. It’ll be awhile before I load, since I’ll need more spent brass. And, I haven’t decided on which heavier bullets yet

Comment

Working...
                                X