Paint scratches much easier on aluminum Ford trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint scratches much easier on aluminum Ford trucks

Has anyone else noticed the paint on the F-series trucks made out of aluminum scratch much easier? I’ve only had my truck for five months and am noticing quite a few scratches on it all the way down to the metal. On my 15 year model F250, I never had this many scratches so easily or in a short amount of time. Curious if the paint is not adhering to the aluminum As well as it does to steel.

Bought a 2020 few months ago and the front bumper is full of pinhead-sized chips down to bare metal. Yes, I've noticed.

Comment

Yep, got 2 dings on hood of 2022 & both knocked paint off. Got several dings on another vehicle & no paint loss.

Comment

Yes I have noticed the same on my 2020 f250
        My 2013 had less than my new one .

Comment

No problems on my 2017 F350.

Up and down gravel roads daily, ranch roads, small crease in driver door from deer strike, etc.

It might be that she only gets washed once a year (if I find time), and has a good layer of dirt/protection. :-)

Comment

I've noticed a few more on my 2015 then my previous 2001 but I don't feel it's the base material as much as the process or the paint used.

I'm in aviation and it sticks well to airplanes. They're never in a garage unless in maintenance, rarely get washed and go about 10 years between paint jobs.

I'm also of the opinion the original windshield was made of rock candy. It was crack city with that thing. Not good when you drive Houston freeways daily for work.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
            Last edited by Slick8; 05-25-2022, 09:34 AM.

Comment

I have a blue 2019 and doesn't have a scratch anywhere yet.

I can testify that I'm positive since I still hand wash it.

My 2014 earned a couple racing stripes after 5 years, but that was earned by the driver.

Any company QC will make errors. I would not label the entire fleet.

Comment

There is less and less color coat and clear coat on ALL vehicles these days.

Comment

I haven't got a scratch on my 2018 F250 yet. I picked up 2 hail dings on the hood a couple of years ago, but my truck is white and they aren't noticeable.

Comment

Not in my 2018 f150. The paint on it is miles better than my tacoma

Comment

2019 F250 is fine here. One chip in front facing part of hood noticed last week.

Maybe they went thin on coats here recently with the "supply chain issue" catch all.

Comment

I am having trouble with my 21 f250 where they glued the hood and the roof panels together. I'm not sure what is causing it but were the spot welds of glue are in those panels it is causing hail damage looking dents along those seams where the glue is.

Ill try to get some pictures. It is like hail damage but in straight lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunteraudit View Post
                          Not in my 2018 f150. The paint on it is miles better than my tacoma
                          Them are fighting words when they see this. Bump for getting your azz whooped [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Different kind of paint. Harder but more brittle. You're right, probably supply issues

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                              I've noticed a few more on my 2015 then my previous 2001 but I don't feel it's the base material as much as the process or the paint used.

I'm in aviation and it sticks well to airplanes. They're never in a garage unless in maintenance, rarely get washed and go about 10 years between paint jobs.

I'm also of the opinion the original windshield was made of rock candy. It was crack city with that thing. Not good when you drive Houston freeways daily for work.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

100% correct on windshield. Replaced 1 and have 2 chips repaired in less than 40k miles. Everytime a bug hits I get nervous[emoji1787] and to op’s question, I have noticed paint scratches easier for sure on ‘20 F250

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X