Insulating Can Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insulating Can Lights

All the heat we’ve had has got me thinking about insulating the top of the can lights in my attic. I found a product called Tenmat that is made from a substance called Rockwool. The Rockwool is supposed to be fire rated to 2,000 degrees. The devices look like a bucket that you set on top of a recessed light in the attic. Then you seal off the edge of the bucket with spray foam.

The Tenmat buckets will also keep insects from coming through an attic and into a house via the can lights.

I was wondering if anybody had used that product, or any other recessed light insulators and what your experiences or that’s are.

Thanks

I would think you're forcing all the heat downward into the living areas. The heat has to go somewhere.

Comment

Might be better to retro them with LED's.

Comment

Rockwool is also great for seed starting. Soak it in water until all the bubbles come out and then place your seeds in it

Comment

I believe your can lights need to be IC (insulation contact) rated or you risk overheating them which of course equals a fire hazard.

Comment

The cans need to rated for direct contact with insulation like mentioned ^^^^^

Comment

Gotcha. Think I’ll replace the older can with IC rated LED’s.

Gracias amigos

Comment

If it were me, I would rip them out and replace with the new wafer LED retrofit kits they have now days.

Comment

Originally posted by BertramBass View Post
                  Might be better to retro them with LED's.
                  X2, very little heat to worry about and probably a lot less labor than insulating incandescent lights

Comment

Rockwool is great stuff and durable

we used to grow weed in that stuff back in the college days lol

Comment

If they aren’t IC rated you can’t insulate them. If they are swap to LED and if they’re not ditch them and retro fit them. Easy jobs either way and will save energy and improve AC efficiency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                      X