Hanging a TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hanging a TV

What should I use to hang a TV on a stone fireplace? Drill holes and use those plastic anchors? These are surprisingly strong and I think it would be fine.

Or should I drill all the way through the stone, which is about 1.5" thick and ram long wood screws directly into the plywood behind it?

TV is a 55" so not terribly huge. Just kinda second guessing myself.

That sounds like cultured stone, or thin veneer. I'd go through it, and into the plywood.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      That sounds like cultured stone, or thin veneer. I'd go through it, and into the plywood.
      It's real stone straight out of the ground, they just cut it fairly thin. It's actually 2" thick in places maybe a little more.
      Last edited by GalvestonWader; 06-16-2022, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Zip Toggles

Comment

Originally posted by 45 ACP View Post
          It's real stone straight out of the ground, they just cut it fairly thin. It's actually 2" thick in places maybe a little more.
          That would be thin veneer, I'd go through it into the backing.

Comment

If you can get a couple of the screws into a 2x4 behind the plywood, you’d be better off. Now finding the stud without and pictures of house the fireplace was framed- good luck.

Also, it depends on how far the wall mount will swing the tv away from the wall. If it stays close, less torque on the bolts.

If you do decide to anchor into the stone, I think lead anchors would be better than plastic- but I’ve never compared them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine was done by builder through stone into plywood.

Comment

Thanks guys I’ll go all the way to the plywood

Comment

Hanging a TV

Toggle bolts unless you get lucky and hit a stud, then a lag bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

That’s a better idea than screwing into plywood, and not an expensive way to do it. At least the 2 mounting holes on the top.

Comment

I am in the screw vs. toggle camp. A (modern) 55" TV will not approach 50 pounds. Use quality screws and drill the hole through masonry work only. Properly sized hole/screws will get a bite in stone as well (not that it is needed). Only thing NOT to do is put jicky inserts/anchors in the stone itself.

Just saw you last replied on 6-16-22. I bet you are watching your soap operas already. Hope it went well!

Comment

If it’s actual stone and thick enough, I used TapCon screws direct to the mount into the stone and it’s solid as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by hoythunter02 View Post
                          If it’s actual stone and thick enough, I used TapCon screws direct to the mount into the stone and it’s solid as hell.

If I'm understanding right, it's thin veneer stone, which is about 1 1/2" thick, and adhered to the wall with mortar. If so, the process of drilling through it could very well weaken that bond in the mortar, and lead to problems. 9 out of 10 times it would probably work great though.

If it's full thickness (3"-5"), definitely tapcons...

Comment

I havent done anything yet. We just moved and my TV's are still not hung. I've got 2 kids in multiple sports every evening and weekend and just havent had the time, or rather havent made the time. But I intend to drill through the stone and then use screws into the plywood. Will be a bit tricky 'cause I'll need to stop drilling before I get to the plywood but I'll just go slow a little at a time.

Thank yall for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by 45 ACP View Post
                              I havent done anything yet. We just moved and my TV's are still not hung. I've got 2 kids in multiple sports every evening and weekend and just havent had the time, or rather havent made the time. But I intend to drill through the stone and then use screws into the plywood. Will be a bit tricky 'cause I'll need to stop drilling before I get to the plywood but I'll just go slow a little at a time.

Thank yall for the help.
                              You should be able to feel when through. Likely screwed lathe on plywood and then did a scratch coat of mortar before stone was laid. After a good guestimate of depth of stone and mortar, put some tape on the bit and go slowly when you hit that point. Either that, or drill like hell and you should feel when you pop through. :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X