Turkey feathers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey feathers

I've got four wings. I use left wing. Is there a right wing archer in my area who would trade feathers for splitting and grinding ?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

We used to have an older fella on our lease in Brady that would fletch his arrows with Turkey feathers. I thought that was really cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I just watched a couple YouTube videos on it. It seems straightforward and I'm gonna tackle it myself.
      Here's to not lopping off a finger or thumb tip!

Comment

I may have some left wings left over. I’ll have to double check.

The one issue I ran into was after splitting the feather was figuring out how to cut down or grind the base of it without destroying it. The thicker the feather the harder it was.

And as to grinding, I always heard to not breathe in the dust because it’s harmful. I’m guessing something similar to carbon dust from cutting arrows.

Comment

Well the 3Rivers guy made it look simple. I'm gonna try it.

Last edited by DRT; 04-03-2022, 08:47 PM.

Comment

I’m sure you’ll do fine. I did some about a year ago for the first time, and once I got the hang of it they turned out nicely. I made a jig to hold the feather while grinding, and that helped. Just take your time, and use a light touch. And yeah, don’t breathe the dust. I don’t know if it’s harmful, but ugh it smells, lol

Comment

Gary, I did some off of a bird I killed and dyed the feathers in koolaid, it worked pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by JayBay3405 View Post
                Gary, I did some off of a bird I killed and dyed the feathers in koolaid, it worked pretty good.
                What flavor?[emoji1786]

Comment

If you want to color them google fly tying supplies. They have dies that aren’t real expensive and work well. Lots of colors available.

Comment

One bird the feathers were really dark. Think those will look cool.

Comment

I used Hawian punch kool aid, and Cherry also.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
                        I may have some left wings left over. I’ll have to double check.

The one issue I ran into was after splitting the feather was figuring out how to cut down or grind the base of it without destroying it. The thicker the feather the harder it was.

And as to grinding, I always heard to not breathe in the dust because it’s harmful. I’m guessing something similar to carbon dust from cutting arrows.
                        I had the same grinding issue until I realized that my smoothed concrete floor is a fine chisel sharpener, spear sharpener and turkey festher grinder all in one. I was using a ******* file but that took too much off. I used the fine file on my leatherman but that was too small for a good overall even plane the whole length.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                          I had the same grinding issue until I realized that my smoothed concrete floor is a fine chisel sharpener, spear sharpener and turkey festher grinder all in one. I was using a ******* file but that took too much off. I used the fine file on my leatherman but that was too small for a good overall even plane the whole length.
                          Necessity is the mother of invention. I love it.[emoji106][emoji1]

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                            Necessity is the mother of invention. I love it.[emoji106][emoji1]

Find a smooth patch for fine work. Find a rough patch for controlled major material removal. I found the concrete allowed me ability for a good long stroke and made grinding time less and more evenly.

I think all was implied earlier but I was short on time and wanted to clarify my purpose and observance.

Good luck Gary.

Comment

Or you could use a belt sander and do it in 1/10th the time!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X